F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a 15 crew cab eco and really enjoyed it. I was at work one day and seen a 16 rcsb come up for auction at dealers of the Rockies and waited for it. This was all during Covid so you could only bid remotely. The truck came up and started out at $22k. It seemed to have issues running, was already modified for being lowered and exhaust. Nobody put in bids, I offered $15 and the bank settled at $17.5. Got the truck home and immediately new it was rode hard and abused by the previous owner. I parked it, ordered all new oem timing chains and phasers, oem exhaust, updated valve covers, spd downpipes, and oem intake box. Here’s the progress so far.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course with anything good there’s always issues. The truck was running pretty good. Noticed some blue smoke from the tail pipe at time on decel and narrowed down to turbo seals being bad. So replaced turbskis.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
11,016 Posts
How does it feel and sound now. Healthy?
What was the mileage?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Running really good, decided to start driving it, noticed a few drivability issues with the steering and suspension. Previous owner used aftermarket parts to lower it and didn’t instal correctly. Replaced lower arms with oem arms and new hubs. Went with Belltech drop struts for the time being until the coilovers are ready.
Wood Gas Bumper Machine Machine tool

Crankset Wood Gear Bicycle chain Bicycle part

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Locking hubs Tread

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does it feel and sound now. Healthy?
What was the mileage?
sounds great, runs really good. After getting everything dialed in, I had gearhead tuning do a tune for it. I wasn’t to happy with it as it left much to be desired. I switched to MPT and had them do a tune. It runs really well and is extremely fun to drive. I did the chains and turbos at 101k and I’m currently at 103k with no issues.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That escalated quickly. Not that i have in-depth exposure or anything, but thats the first 2.7 that ive seen with chain tensioner issues. Is this a common problem with the 2.7? It doesnt appear to have been super neglected as far as oil changes go(very little oil staining inside).

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
11,016 Posts
I believe it is the second 2.7 that I have seen on the forum with timing chain refresh, but yea, it's NOT a common report.

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,066 Posts
Has me wondering also. Was the valve drive done as part of a total refresh based on general report of timing chain failures, or was there an actual problem? The post is somewhat unclear.
Anyway, good work!! Keep it coming.
What/who made the catted down-pipes used? Larger diameters? KM

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That escalated quickly. Not that i have in-depth exposure or anything, but thats the first 2.7 that ive seen with chain tensioner issues. Is this a common problem with the 2.7? It doesnt appear to have been super neglected as far as oil changes go(very little oil staining inside).
I’ve done a total of 3 2.7 timing chains, phasers and tensioners. On all 3 including mine, they failed from a hydraulic tensioner and one plastic phaser ring allowing the chains to jump teeth. I thought it was uncommon and was told the 2.7 had the same issue as the 3.5, they just normally replaced motors under warranty instead of doing the timing chains.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has me wondering also. Was the valve drive done as part of a total refresh based on general report of timing chain failures of was the an actual problem? The post is somewhat unclear.
Anyway, good work!! Keep it coming.
What/who made the catted downpipes used? Larger diameters? KM
it’s pretty clear, you can see in the photos of the chain slop on the driver side phasers. Also is listed in the first post, SPD downpipes we’re used.

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,066 Posts
I thought the slack was just worn tensioners, my initial thought. The black painted down-pipes threw me off. KM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts