F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather said I can use his diesel tractor anytime I want it’s a blue holland with enclosed cab and front bucket he said it ways about 6-7,000lbs the trailer I have is 2,200ish so let’s says worse case senario 9,200lbs max I have the heavy tow package and factory sway control, electric trailer brakes module factory, I’ve towed the trailer and my Willy’s about 4,200lbs and it was like the trailer wasn’t back there I’ve read that 9,200 is a little different I ordered air bags for the rear that should be all the extra I need right? When I got my truck it had everything extra for towing factory except the tow mirrors and 3.73 gears I have a 2012 screw 4x4 lariat 3.55 electric rear locker. Hitch says I’m good for 10,500 with a weight distribution hitch but the guy at the frame shop said air bags will do the trick with a weigh safe ball to keep the tongue weight right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Does tapatalk not have a "period" button?

Look up the specs on the tractor to know for sure what you're getting yourself into. If you get over 10k pounds (I'm trying to remember if that's equipment only, or equipment + trailer), you enter into a different realm of tie-down requirements - chain and binders required, plus a chain for each implement, even the implements attached to the tractor. You don't want to get a State Trooper on your butt for improperly secured load. Me personally, I'd use chain and binders on that tractor even if it's not required by law.

I know this wasn't the question, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The only way to know for certain if you're legal is to weigh the truck and trailer. It's easy math from there. You're going to be pushing it... and, if you're in TX, the last thing you want is a License and Weight trooper sitting behind you...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does tapatalk not have a "period" button?

Look up the specs on the tractor to know for sure what you're getting yourself into. If you get over 10k pounds (I'm trying to remember if that's equipment only, or equipment + trailer), you enter into a different realm of tie-down requirements - chain and binders required, plus a chain for each implement, even the implements attached to the tractor. You don't want to get a State Trooper on your butt for improperly secured load. Me personally, I'd use chain and binders on that tractor even if it's not required by law.

I know this wasn't the question, but something to keep in the back of your mind.
Sorry, I’m trying to get better at typing educate. And it’s 10,000lbs max for both trailer and tractor. And I didn’t know about the tie downs, I have 2 10,000lb straps, but my dad has the metal ones you are talking about with the chains I will go get them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only way to know for certain if you're legal is to weigh the truck and trailer. It's easy math from there. You're going to be pushing it... and, if you're in TX, the last thing you want is a License and Weight trooper sitting behind you...
Luckily there is a scale maybe 5 miles from his house to weigh the truck, truck and trailer, and all 3 I don’t think it’s a lot of money anyways to pay to use the scales.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Make sure you use a good weigh distributing hitch and keep track of your air in your tires. If you don't already have E range tires I highly recommend them. For an equipment trailer I personally like the Anderson No Sway system. Most guys on here have luck with the bar type as well. The weight wont be an issue I dont think just dont try to drive like Mario Andretti lol.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Luckily there is a scale maybe 5 miles from his house to weigh the truck, truck and trailer, and all 3 I don’t think it’s a lot of money anyways to pay to use the scales.

You'll want to pay close attention to axle weights... you're probably most likely to exceed the rear GAWR first, by loading the trailer slightly tongue-heavy. Once you get it figured out and load the tongue to the proper 10-15%, mark the tractor and trailer so you know where to park the tractor in the future.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't speak for the area you are in. But, around here if you go to a grain elevator and talk nicely to them they will let you scale for free. They won't have a split scale (to weigh axles separately) but you can get a good idea of where you are at without and with load. Also, make sure you have tires with good enough load rating.

·
Administrator
9,618 Posts
I'm fortunate to work for a trucking company, I have 24/7 access to our scales free.

However, prior to that, I discovered that if I talk nicely to them, the local landfill AND the local scrap yard will let me use their scales free of charge.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

·
Registered
7,395 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts