F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Told a couple people this already, but I was going up a hill, was lugging the truck pretty good, and then I hear like a click click noise from the engine and a plume of smoke out the back. No change in rpm or boost, nothing, just a weird click click noise and black smoke. I wasn’t data logging at the time, but I experienced this issue a little before I had the cylinder heads replaced. Thought that the new heads resolved it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I know I harp about LSPI, but it is a documented condition. Boost with demand and low RPM compounded by the DI spraying on a hot cylinder wall spot is the cause. Not head related.
You have quite a bunch of mods to your truck, may be using a quicker advance timing curve added with more efficient turbos. Lugging at and below 2000 RPM can put you right into pre-ignition.
Put altitude and fuel into the mix only makes it worse. The sound is like a few marbles in a closed can being rattled. KM

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
Shift down !

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can’t take credit for this possible cause to the knocking noise and odd knock on the PID and black smoke, but I may have gotten some condensation in my intercooler maybe. Just emptied my catch can and I’m removing it tomorrow.

Reactions: snakebitten
1 - 5 of 5 Posts