F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I for one recently switched back from my 5* dedicated 91 tune (3-4 revisions) to the latest GH AO Tune.

Honestly, I like matts (GH) tune way better for drive-ability,,,, it is very stock like normal driving but refined for the better, but as you command more, the more aggressive it gets and when you command WOT,it has great pull, really great!. The transmission operation is way better with matts vs 5*. So much smoother and crisper. I think the 5* dedicated 91 might be a tad faster.... but only the track will tell this.... With the 5* tune the Sport mode is more aggressive than Matts AO Performance, but in no way is that better.... (shifting firmness)

When I was conversing back and forth with matt recently, here is one of the quotes from our conversation when I asked him about the E15 mixture:

My Question- The manual says we can run up to E15...... Will your adaptive tunes adjust for the added octane if I stay at the E15 limit?

Reply- "E15 is fine with the auto octane. It will give gains up to about 94 octane"

I for one am very happy with the AO tunes and the ability to live safely through a bad gas experience and/or when traveling not worry about where i need to look for specific gas.
Towing was why I stopped using the GH tune. I really didn't like how the torque and shift schedules were aligned. I was CONSTANTLY having to intervene.

I agree that it was fantastic for daily driving.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Towing was why I stopped using the GH tune. I really didn't like how the torque and shift schedules were aligned. I was CONSTANTLY having to intervene.

I agree that it was fantastic for daily driving.
I towed with the GH in my 15, it was good. I will try GH tow tune when I go on my next trip in September...... Always have the 5* tow tune standing by....... Agree Agree and Agree for the daily driver GH tune as FANTASTIC.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I might be mangling what Matt told me one morning when I was pulling out of the Best Western in Roswell NM, with the baby toy hauler in tow, but I mentioned to him that I had gotten that far from Galveston running his tune, rather than loading my 5* tow tune.

He asked a few questions about Temps and such and then stated that if I'm towing that light that I probably was fine with the regular tune. (4500ish)

But that it's right about where he'd suggest the tow specific tune. (his or 5*'s)

I think I switched to 5* later in the trip because I left the land of 93 and the grades and ambients were on the increase. My 5* tow tunes performed admirably. I still haven't gotten around to torturing Matt for an OA tow tune.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I for one recently switched back from my 5* dedicated 91 tune (3-4 revisions) to the latest GH AO Tune.

Honestly, I like matts (GH) tune way better for drive-ability,,,, it is very stock like normal driving but refined for the better, but as you command more, the more aggressive it gets and when you command WOT,it has great pull, really great!. The transmission operation is way better with matts vs 5*. So much smoother and crisper. I think the 5* dedicated 91 might be a tad faster.... but only the track will tell this.... With the 5* tune the Sport mode is more aggressive than Matts AO Performance, but in no way is that better.... (shifting firmness)

When I was conversing back and forth with matt recently, here is one of the quotes from our conversation when I asked him about the E15 mixture:

My Question- The manual says we can run up to E15...... Will your adaptive tunes adjust for the added octane if I stay at the E15 limit?

Reply- "E15 is fine with the auto octane. It will give gains up to about 94 octane"

I for one am very happy with the AO tunes and the ability to live safely through a bad gas experience and/or when traveling not worry about where i need to look for specific gas.
I’d really like to try his tune one day, and I'm sure I will, I hear nothing but good things. I’ll just have to get used to the stock like throttle tip in though, that’s one thing I do not like about stock tune, at all.

I will say though my shifting with my 5 star tunes are flawless, with that being said it wasn’t like that from the very get-go, there were a few little quirks, and I’ve had about a dozen revisions and multiple changes done for shifting per my request among other things, I'm a picky son of a gun
Regular mode is smooth as butter CVT like and sport mode is set to kill mode with mine.

I look forward to giving Gearhead a try after this 5 star 60k power train warranty is up, which the way I’m driving my truck won’t be very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Special Edition
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’d really like to try his tune one day, and I'm sure I will, I hear nothing but good things. I’ll just have to get used to the stock like throttle tip in though, that’s one thing I do not like about stock tune, at all.

I will say though my shifting with my 5 star tunes are flawless, with that being said it wasn’t like that from the very get-go, there were a few little quirks, and I’ve had about a dozen revisions and multiple changes done for shifting per my request among other things, I'm a picky son of a gun
Regular mode is smooth as butter CVT like and sport mode is set to kill mode with mine.

I look forward to giving Gearhead a try after this 5 star 60k power train warranty is up, which the way I’m driving my truck won’t be very long.

Just what I highlighted is what I’d like to see out of my shift tables. I don’t like the constant minor head bob I get going through the first 3 gears or so. It’s annoying. I’d only care about hard hitting when in sport mode. I need to look in to that some day with my 5 Star 91 performance tune.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the air with which tuner to go with. I hear nothing but good things about 5* but I do like the oar aspect, I only run 91 but you never know what your gonna pick up on a trip.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Special Edition
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)

I’ll admit I have not read the manual yet & I have had the truck for about 4 months now. Anyway, our manual says E15? I’m typing on my phone so I can’t see whether you have a V8 or an older Ecoboost. I’d like to make use of doing a little bit of ethanol gas myself, but I’m not going to fiddle around with extra parts or sit and check my ethanol content at every fill if that's the only way to do it. It is one of the main reasons I’m wondering about the AO tunes though. Doing a dash of ethanol every few tank fills would be cool.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm in the air with which tuner to go with. I hear nothing but good things about 5* but I do like the oar aspect, I only run 91 but you never know what your gonna pick up on a trip.

Most tuning companies like 5*,Gearhead, MPT,Unleashed, and BCB keep the OAR functioning. The adaptive tunes just have more flexibility with pulling timing.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
They do offer an adjustable octane tune as well. I have no comparison between it and gearhead though since I haven’t tried gearhead yet, but I will eventually.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have 5* AOT, 91 tow/perf and 91 perf tunes and can definitely feel more power with the 91 tunes especially the 91 performance. Drivability is great with all 3 but mainly run the tow/perf tune because I'm always towing to the lake and not a fan of switching tunes all the time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
There's no reason to feel obligated to choose a single tuner. While you DO have to decide which tuner you will be purchasing the actual hardware from, you can then add tune-files from different tuners onto the hardware.

Example: ME. Lol
It was around Christmas 2017 and 5* offered a really good package deal on the hardware (Ngauge) and FIVE of their tunes! So the bargain was a bargain!

But I wanted my truck to have a real life dyno tune and I am VERY fortunate to be just a couple of hours away from GearHead Tuning. (Their reputation was huge with the PowerStroke crowd and the raves about their shifting strategy was easy to find)

I begged and pleaded to get through the locked gate that surrounds the Area-51-type compound that GearHead is located within. Anyways, I digress, sorry. So I have a GearHead tune or two on my Ngauge as well.

Swapping tunes is about a 6 minute affair.
And compared to when I was a kid, nothing has ever increased performance and feeeeeeeel for such ridiculous low price as a tune.

If fuel prices ever go up to the peak they have been in the past, 36 gallons of 93 cost more than a tune.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts