F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Does 5star have any dyno charts from their adaptive tunes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
dumb question....what is an auto octane tune? Is it a performance tune based on octane? Mainly a transmission tune?

·
Administrator
9,795 Posts
You can think of it as an enhanced stock tune. It bumps power up but still allows from 87 to 93 octane and adjusts accordingly. It leaves some power in the table compared to dedicated 91 or 93 octane tunes.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Vendor
128 Posts
I still don't see it.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
If you're still seeing the combined vehicles on the cal form try clearing your cache. You should be seeing the adaptive octane tunes for all ecoboost as well as all fuel type(s).

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,795 Posts
I'll try it. To be honest I find the website kind of hard to navigate when it comes to looking up tunes for specific vehicles. And tune descriptions.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You can think of it as an enhanced stock tune. It bumps power up but still allows from 87 to 93 octane and adjusts accordingly. It leaves some power in the table compared to dedicated 91 or 93 octane tunes.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
You just answered the question I came here to ask. I figured it had to leave some power on the table, or there would no longer be a reason to offer the specific octane tunes.

Question now is; just how much power is left on the table?

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
From the look of gearhead Dyno, they are not leaving much on the table

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Just like with any custom tune you'll want to datalog and get revisions for the verbal octane tune from 5 star, that will leave a lot less on the table. The two friends that I know that are running it that's exactly what they did and they are very happy, and that's them coming from 93 performance Tunes. Of course you'll never get the full potential as far as power like you would a dedicated octane tune from any variable octane tune.
Variable octane Tunes are not all about all out power they are more so about convenience and better drivability all around compared to stock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put in my order for 93 performance tune and the 85+ adaptive tune for my 2011 F150. According the 5 star you CAN tow like normal with the Adaptive Octane tune. I don't tow heavy or often so I think that will be good for my needs.

·
Vendor
128 Posts
I'll try it. To be honest I find the website kind of hard to navigate when it comes to looking up tunes for specific vehicles. And tune descriptions.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

The tune breakdown, dyno charts etc, will be under the custom tuning information tab on any of the pages. From your perspective, what change(s) would make the site easier to navigate?

·
Vendor
128 Posts
Can u tow with performance tune? Adaptive tune?
You can tow with the perf/tow and the adaptive tune at max vehicle capacity. You would only want to tow under 2k with the performance tune as the shift strategy is much more aggressive.

·
Administrator
9,795 Posts
The tune breakdown, dyno charts etc, will be under the custom tuning information tab on any of the pages. From your perspective, what change(s) would make the site easier to navigate?
Well, I didn't realize that I can find a list of the tunes on the calibration request form, that pretty much solved all my issues.

However, I think it would be nice if, once I was in the 2.7 submenu, there was a breakdown of the 2.7 tunes in there with brief descriptions. I know what to expect from them now, but before I did that was nice to see on other websites.

Also,when in the email tunes menu, it tells you to follow the cal form link to find a full list of tunes available. It gives you a link to copy and paste into the browser, could that be made into a click able link?

I think it would be nice if some of the dyno information you guys have gathered about your various tunes was available in the vehicle specific sub menu. For instance, once 2.7 ecoboost is selected from the f150 menu, if those dump charts were in that next menu somewhere I think it would be great. As is I'm not really sure how to get to them, aside from going through the block posts.

However, once I figured out I just need to go to the calibration request form from the "go to" menu, I found what I was looking for.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Administrator
9,795 Posts
I'm not sure why, but sometimes these are the only options I have to choose from, and I don't have the custom tuning tab or the f150 tab here.

Edit. Aww hell. I just figured it out. There are TWO buttons you can click labeled "Go to". They give you different options. I always start with the one at the top of the page. I thought they were the same thing.

So take that for whatever it's worth. Maybe it needs to be made clearer those serve different functions, or maybe I'm the only idiot who hadn't figured it out. Lol

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can u tow with performance tune? Adaptive tune?
You can tow with the perf/tow and the adaptive tune at max vehicle capacity. You would only want to tow under 2k with the performance tune as the shift strategy is much more aggressive.
How is performance vs performance/tow?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dont see a dyno chart on 5Star site for adaptive tune for 3.5. Just bought tuner with Adaptive, 93/Tow, 93 perf. What would 93 octane on adaptive tune dyno at? I guess thats a subjective question, but just curious. I plan to use that tune for daily driving and perf for street nights at track.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts