F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The answer? New plugs and a catch can! I recently picked up a 2016 F150 2.7L 4x4 with 82k highway miles. When I had my '13 FX2, I added a catch can and swapped plugs when I bought it. It really helped, so I figured the same for this 2.7L engine. I got the JLT catch can for $140 and new plugs for $40. One hour later, my engine purrs like a kitten and my mileage has increased by about 2 MPG. I went from getting 22.5 MPG on the highway to over 24. City is about 1 MPG better.

Side note: I followed JLT's instructions to a T and snapped the plastic hole where the catch can was supposed to mount when re-installing the engine cover. I had to fab up an L bracket to a spare bolt on the firewall. Much better/cleaner install. JLT should really rethink the mounting location.

Say what you want about catch cans, but I saw first hand on my last F150 with the 3.5L how much they helped keep the intake clean. It's just a good practice with a turbocharged vehicle.

IMG_1622.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
Good news on your better mileage, but a catch can isn't going to do anything to aid in the fuel efficiency. You could have gained the same 2mpg with just the $40 spark plug change. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice! I also put a JLT on my 2013 3.5 last week in honor of hitting the 5yr/60K warranty expiration milestones within 24hrs of each other.

JLT.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts