F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about doing a drain on the intercooler, but hate to leave it open all the time even with minimal boost loss. Has anyone found other ways of resealing it. I've thought about jb welding a small nut to the bottom, drilling a 1/16 hole inside the nut, then putting a short screw/bolt in the nut with a rubber washer to seal it. I would have to either find a bolt short enough or cut one off that won't bottom out on the cooler. Any advice on this?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You could use a drain petcock with threads and tap it into intercooler with some teflon tape. I may try this with my wagner, condensation is always gonna be a issue.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You just can't let the threads go far into the inter cooler, otherwise it has to pool higher than the petcock before it would drain, you want a flush solution.

I pulled my stock cac and had no condensation in it, bone dry. My ATP has a drain on it but I just pulled the charge pipe off and look, still nothing. If I had an issue I would still the hole and leave it as is with no plug.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I drilled the hole the other day just a 1/16 and got about a tablespoon of water out and a teaspoon or so of oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually going to drill a small hole in the middle of the nut where it could be sealed with the bolt. The bolt would not go into the cooler. It would be either flush with the bottom of it or stop inside the nut

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I want to so the drain hole, but I just can't stop wondering, why don't they do that from the factory? What am I missing? Never had any issues, never looked in it. But is sure is humid in St.Louis.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Just fill the 1/16" hole with a small screw when you don't want it draining.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't had any issues with mine, but my area is extremely humid

·
Registered
313 Posts
Your best bet would take it out and take it to a shop and them weld a bung on that you can seal. Using a screw might work, but after a while that hole might get bigger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drilled a hole in mine about 2 months ago and left it alone. I had so much gunk come out of it after I drilled the hole I just decided to leave the 1/16" hole in there to let it drain all the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Was thinking about doing a drain on the intercooler, but hate to leave it open all the time even with minimal boost loss. Has anyone found other ways of resealing it. I've thought about jb welding a small nut to the bottom, drilling a 1/16 hole inside the nut, then putting a short screw/bolt in the nut with a rubber washer to seal it. I would have to either find a bolt short enough or cut one off that won't bottom out on the cooler. Any advice on this?

How about drilling a small hole and covering it with a small piece of soft rubber and securing it with a hose camp?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
copy: I have thought of a problem with the drain valve however. it does not take a long time driving in high humidity, to have some accumulation in the intercooler.so lets say you have been driving gently for an hour in 90 percent humidity, and it's 50 degrees outside. Your on a one lane road and come up on grandma, doing 10 under the speed limit. Finaly you get a passing opportunity. O wait. Let me pull over and drain my cac

I have a 1/16" hole. I would expect a 1/32" to be plenty big. How big are gas, water, and oil molecules? Smaller then 1/32" i suspect.

Also simply relying on a pure gravity drain, is not necessary. Our trucks hit boost plenty, the small leak with boost behind it should do a grate job of keeping liquid out of the charger air.

I also think there is this big missunderstainding: that some great abundance of liquid needs to accumulate to pose a problem. Im not good at math on the fly, but figure . 6 liters is a cylinder volume. At 10:1 comp. At full compression you have a ccombustion chamber size of around 6/100 of a liters. Just imagine (or do the math) on what affect a tinny bit of on evaporated liquid has on that. My 2/100 guess a removable drain is better then nothing but for shure not full proof.

On the why have they not done this. They can not vta any thing harmful for starters.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I don't want to hydro lock my engine that's for sure but I also don't want to feel like I just put a hole in my cac. Atleast with a resealable hole it would make me feel better. I understand the benefits of the pee hole but wonder how bad the condensation is in California trucks.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I don't want to hydro lock my engine that's for sure but I also don't want to feel like I just put a hole in my cac. Atleast with a resealable hole it would make me feel better. I understand the benefits of the pee hole but wonder how bad the condensation is in California trucks.
And . . . I don't want stuff on my garage floor.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I'm in California, just did the pee hole and after a 20 minute drive about a table spoon or two of oil came out, no water though. I've only had the condensation issue once and that was while I was in Idaho after the drive there from California. I am going to figure something out that I can remove to plug the hole, even if it's just a screw.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in California, just did the pee hole and after a 20 minute drive about a table spoon or two of oil came out, no water though. I've only had the condensation issue once and that was while I was in Idaho after the drive there from California. I am going to figure something out that I can remove to plug the hole, even if it's just a screw.
Keep driving it and checking on it. I did the same thing and then two days later I looked down at the weep hole and there was brown nasty oil and crap still coming out. Drill the hole and be done with it, until you can get a nice newer relocated CAC lol.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I want to so the drain hole, but I just can't stop wondering, why don't they do that from the factory? What am I missing? Never had any issues, never looked in it. But is sure is humid in St.Louis.
Emissions.

Drilling your CAC defeats the secondary purpose of a PCV system which is to collect the crankcase vapors (oil, water, fuel, etc.) and send them to the intake to get burned instead of released into the environment. With the pee hole your just spraying all that crap out onto the street and polluting in doing so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts