F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here and this is my first post. Got my truck a little over a year ago when my son totalled my '03. I loved the '03, it was paid for, but the EB is my new favorite. I also have a '67 SWB. It looks like hammered crap, but runs like a champ.

We're about to buy a travel trailer and the place where I'm getting the trailer from is offering to sell and install a brake controller for about $150. I really dont want them to screw a bracket under the dash to mount a brake controller. Can I get an OEM controller? Is the wiring/plug already behind the dash for a brake controller? If all this is possible is it just a matter of plugging it in? Ebay is flooded with OEM brake controllers but would I be better off going to local ford dealer and letting them install it or just buying from them and put it in myself?

Thanks for ya'lls help cause i really dont want an after marked anything screwed to the bottom of the dash.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Fon! That's a great question that I'll bet a call to your local dealer could get answered. I'll bet others here have same question although I think the majority of us ordered/bought the option already. Please let us know what you find!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was told to add the factory brake controller the ecu had to be reflashed and would be 150 for the controller and 100 for the reflash. I added an aftermarket for 50 shipped. My truck came with the pigtail and relays. I just bought the controller wired it to the pigtail and plugged it in. I haven't used it yet so I'm not sure it worked but I'll find out in may when I'm pulling my dad's travel trailer.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I hope it works for you!

SPPD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick up date....Talked to locale ford dealer parts counter and they tell me a 2011 ecoboast lariat already has the wiring for a brake controller. The down side the OEM controller cost me $215 and comes in tomorrow. They wanted to charge me $200 for 2 hours of labor to install the hardware PLUS $65 to program it to the truck. I'm pretty sure I got enough sense to plug this in, I'll take it back and let them program it for me $65 and save the $200 labor. I know I could have gotten an aftermarket alot cheaper but I wanted the integration with the truck and didnt want to bang my knee on crap screwed to the bottom of the dash.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Seems like there's a lot going on with the OEM unit. Hook up checklist, trailer sensing device, special file for average fuel economy, trailer hours/miles, etc. Probably a good choice! Expensive, but good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did this to my last EB. I got the controller from the Ford house in Amarillo and its a 15 minute job to install it and that includes looking for the tools. Re-flashing the computer cost me 75 bux. Get it install it but do not install the fuse and relay that come with it till they flash he computer. You should be able to get the controller for about $165 if they are feeling generous.

The wiring harness is already there on all f-150's its tied to the brake pedal bracket just behind the dash plate.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you decide to buy the OEM brake controller and install it yourself check out eBay, they are on here for around $130.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up the TBC this mornng from the ford dealer, have to wait until later to install it. I have to make an appointment with the dealer for programming which is to integrate the TBC with the instrument panel. Will the TBC still function without the truck being programmed? I have to pick up our new travel trailer friday morning at 9.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had my local dealer install the OEM TBC and am very happy with the stock look and performance of the controller.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a little bit different between a lariat (from what I've experienced) and XLT (from what I've seen in youtube video). The TBC came from ford with about 5 or 6 pages copied from a technical manual with detailed instructions. Only problem was I had to read and reread several times just to catch on to the names that they were using. It took about twenty minutes to take everything apart, and about five minutes to put it back together once I knew what I was doing. I could probably do it again in ten minutes or so, no where near the two hours local ford dealer quoted me on labor times (@ $100 per hour!) Now I just have to make an appointment for the programming and I'm done!

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's a little bit different between a lariat (from what I've experienced) and XLT (from what I've seen in youtube video). The TBC came from ford with about 5 or 6 pages copied from a technical manual with detailed instructions. Only problem was I had to read and reread several times just to catch on to the names that they were using. It took about twenty minutes to take everything apart, and about five minutes to put it back together once I knew what I was doing. I could probably do it again in ten minutes or so, no where near the two hours local ford dealer quoted me on labor times (@ $100 per hour!) Now I just have to make an appointment for the programming and I'm done!

Yeah, the first dealership I visited said they needed 365.00 to install it and they were giving me a "deal" Then I watched a youtube video on it and felt like going back and strangling the guy with his tie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up our new trailer yesterday, a 31 footer, and the TBC integrated with the dash display worked better then I thought it would. Plus it looks better then one screwed to the bottom of the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you had the dealer program the new brake controller, does that change your strategy in your computer? I don't want to have to pay for new tunes for my sct.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't notice any change in performance after the ECM was programmed for the TBC. I also don't have a programmer or anything else that would give me any readings except the fuel economy function on the instrument panel. It seemed the same to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
Mark Chronister
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing