F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common to buy extra warranty (beyond the 3 years/36,000 miles)? And if so, which dealer has the best price and what price is that?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I didn't purchase the extended warranty. The power train warranty is 5 year / 60,000 miles and I figured within 5 years your going to know if you have a lemon or not.

I believe my dealer wanted around $1500 to extend it?

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealer is offering me a 6 yr 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for about $2,195 with the option that if I don't make a claim, I get the $2,195 back in full at the end of 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. That's a sweet deal if you don't expect to make claims. If you do expect to make claims, then there are better deals out there like the $1,500 deal you were offered. An internet search led me to a $1,482 cost for a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty, slightly better than your $1,500 deal. I think I'm going to go for the $1,482 offer. My thinking may be flawed, but it's that the Eco Boost configuration is a new and untested one. So, by buying insurance for $1,482 I guess I'm betting that something (outside of the power train) will go wrong within the first 100,000 miles and that it will cost at least $1,482 (plus the $100 deductible) to fix.

·
Registered
176 Posts
See if the dealer will sell you the warranty for his cost plus $1.00. I'm certain they set the price and have room to bargain if it means making the sale.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I bought 65,000 full coverage warranty with mine like we did with my wife's 08 Edge. The Edge recently had a problem associated with the radio and that deal nearly paid for the extended coverage cost. Also since I do pull a trailer with the truck there is always some concern for transmission though there will only be an additional 5K miles over and above. Electronics and systems is more my concern.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the trigger and bought a 6 year 100,000 mile Ford ESP. It cost me $1,900 with a 100% refund option meaning if I don't use it, I get it all back. So the only thing I would lose if I don't make a claim is the interest. I do feel good about the ESP purchase, but of course I hope that I never have to use it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We bought the extended warranty for the 6years. My dealer gives you lifetime power train warranty.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
What if you a $50 claim..will that erase getting the total back? or just subrtact that amout from it.?
There is a $100 deductible, so a $50 claim would not even be covered.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had the dealership throw in the 6yr warranty as part of the deal with the other add ons at no cost. Often enough they have wiggle room for stuff like that and it's some times easier for them to go that route than take more money off the MSRP. But it is worth the purchase as anything goes wrong and your covered and only paying $0-100 (depending on deductible) rather than 1000s.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Exactly. I paid for mine, but it barely raised the price per month, and I really just want it for the peace of mind. The salesman knocked off $200 for it without me even asking. I was kind of delirious after waiting 7 weeks for my truck, so I didn't even try to negotiate further. In hindsight, I'm sure I could have got in down quite a bit more. All well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have had to use extended warranty claims in the past however, I have never broken even on the deal. Meaning the cost of the repair has never been more than through cost of the warranty. On my last 2 vehicles I have opted not to go with the warranty. On a used vehicle I probably would go with one but never again on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I passed on all the extras including the extended warranty. I figured that with the 4k miles a year I drive it just isn't likely that I will ever need it.

SPPD

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dealer gives you a lifetime warranty, no mileage limit, no time limit, lasts as long as you own the vehicle. It covers all the drive train. Have to change oil and service at recommended factory mileage and time and keep records, but the dealer keeps the records for you if you get it serviced from them.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
The dealerships here in Az must be greedy or I am not a good negotiater. I've never heard of dealers tossing in the lifetime warranty unless its tossed in with the financing.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The mark up on an extended warranty is about 75% +or- a few points. So don't hesitate to negotiate. You will also have the option of purchasing an extended warranty at a decent price with in the 36/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty period. And while you do have a 5year/60,000 mile factory covered warranty that is on the powertrain after the bumper to bumper expires. If you do purchase an extended warranty make sure it is inclusive of the entire truck. The real expense of repairs on these trucks could end up coming from electronics located in the cab and not under the hood.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The mark up on an extended warranty is about 75% +or- a few points. So don't hesitate to negotiate. You will also have the option of purchasing an extended warranty at a decent price with in the 36/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty period. And while you do have a 5year/60,000 mile factory covered warranty that is on the powertrain after the bumper to bumper expires. If you do purchase an extended warranty make sure it is inclusive of the entire truck. The real expense of repairs on these trucks could end up coming from electronics located in the cab and not under the hood.
That's what we're planning... Before the 3/36000 runs out -- Ford's website offers the 100,000 warranty @ $2,000 or so for the Whole Pickup!
I just envision trying to fix my radio or climate controls... LOL!

·
Registered
537 Posts
My suggestion would be that before you purchase it from the Ford website, go to your local or selling dealer and negotiate the price and purchase it there. You could save $500 on the deal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great suggestion!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
23 Participants
Longhornamus
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing