F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry for posting this here... I have a 2016 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB and I have a question about the SCT 4x (or other tuners)
So I added bigger wheels (34" vs 32" stock) and naturally my speedo is off by about 2-3%. Now having gone to my local Ford dealer to have my speedo adjusted I wasted 2h just like others have done before me. After monkeying around for 2h they told me they can't do it.

That leaves me with two options (well, three, but the first ins't an option IMHO)
1. Ignore the 2-3% difference. (I don't want to)
2. Get a Hypertech for $230ish, use it once and don't need it anymore. (Don't want to spend $230+ for this if I can get more out of it for a couple bucks more)
3. Get a tuner for $400-$600 and get the benefit of being able to do some more. I am a conservative driver and I am not looking for all out performance. But having read that even the basic 87 Perf/Tow - 91 Perf/Tow tunes make a (big) difference without running the risk blowing your engine within 60k miles.
Some say that you can change the tire size and some say you can't (and I believe a lot of either statement has to do with model year of the truck, but sometimes people miss to elaborate on that detail)...

So my questions are...
1. Can anyone positively confirm that with a SCT X4 you can actually change the tire size on a 2016 3.5 EB (Platinum, even tho I like to believe the model doesn't matter)?
-- If not with the SCT X4, which tuner can / allows me to adjust tire size. (I know the DiaboloSport can for sure, but I don't need a big fancy display-ish type, I wouldn't leave it plugged in anyways. Hence the question about the SCT X4 @$200 cheaper)

2-a. Can this be done only via a custom tune, meaning I would have to reach out to someone like 5star or similar and have them write me a custom tune with my tire size in it (Even tho the tune might just be based on a off the shelf 87 - 91 Perf/Tow tune, but the tire size makes it "custom").
--- or ---
2-b. can I take an off the shelf 87 or 91 Perf/Tow tune and plugin the numbers for the tires myself.

3. In CA these tuners are "illegal" thanks to the tree-huggers out here. Any good source where to get one in / into CA short of smuggling it in my rectum across the border?

Thanks in advance for any feedback / help.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
With SCT you google your tire or call them to get revs per mile, then you flash tune, enter that revs per mile.

You could keep the stock tune and just update the revs if you want.

Also, not only your speedo is off, but it is recording miles wrong...which is illegal technically.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With SCT you google your tire or call them to get revs per mile, then you flash tune, enter that revs per mile.

You could keep the stock tune and just update the revs if you want.

Also, not only your speedo is off, but it is recording miles wrong...which is illegal technically.
Thank you for your feedback. Yeah, the mileage being off is something that bothers me as well (illegality aside)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have nav? If so that will be off as well
I do, but I haven't noticed it being off (paid some attention to it, cu'z I read about it), but I also haven't traveled long distances yet. In and around town it is still dead on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Easy to do with the SCT X4......as said above the programmer allows you to adjust the speedometer (tire revs per mile) for any of the tunes; stock, canned or custom.

I just did it with mine as I stepped up to a slightly larger tire recently.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Easy to do with the SCT X4......as said above the programmer allows you to adjust the speedometer (tire revs per mile) for any of the tunes; stock, canned or custom.

I just did it with mine as I stepped up to a slightly larger tire recently.
THX... I think I made up my mind and I'll get me a tuner... And I might come back to bother you asking "how to" if I can't figure it out :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
Easy to do with the SCT X4......as said above the programmer allows you to adjust the speedometer (tire revs per mile) for any of the tunes; stock, canned or custom. I just did it with mine as I stepped up to a slightly larger tire recently.
I don't know when it happened but I switched tunes last night and the tire size option had the usual revs per mile BUT had tire size in inches next to it in parenthesis.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mine shows the inches but isn't very accurate. I have mine set to 630 rpm which says 32" but my tires are 34".
I don't know when it happened but I switched tunes last night and the tire size option had the usual revs per mile BUT had tire size in inches next to it in parenthesis.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Meh... Ordered me a SCT 4X from 5 Star with 3 custom tunes... Let's see how that works out :/

Reactions: noodles

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Meh... Ordered me a SCT 4X from 5 Star with 3 custom tunes... Let's see how that works out :/
When you go to flash tune, it will come up with options you can adjust gears, revs/mile, spark etc....or you can just tell them all that and they can put it in the tune so you don't have to do anything except flash tune.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
610 is 34" tires according to Toyos website. I have X4 & 2015.
I dunno. I played with my radar detector which has gps speed & my Garmin. This works for moi

Sent from my iPad Air using The app

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
610 is 34" tires according to Toyos website. I have X4 & 2015.
I dunno. I played with my radar detector which has gps speed & my Garmin. This works for moi

Sent from my iPad Air using The app

THX, the picture explains a lot. I got my x4 tuner today and should get my tunes tomorrow (needed to mail them strategy code / serial / which tunes I want).

I do like the data logging and than using LiveLink to chart the data. Gives you a good idea of what is going on. Cu'z on the weekends I tow a 5000lbs boat and I am curious to see IAT's, ECT's and boost numbers...

Reactions: 2Canches

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So... Got my tunes last night, they emailed them to me at 9pm (Midnight for them :eek:) . Uploading the tunes to the device and tuning the car was easy as well as adjusting my tire size was a cakewalk. A bit spooky the first time you go through that process, the ignition turns off and on by itself, the car peeps and honks like it is possessed as the SCT goes through the update / upload process and you can't help but wonder "Wait, did I just f something up... $h1t, I just fried my ECU...". But once the exorcism is over and the car stopped honking and peeping, and the headlights stop flashing (Naturally the garage light turned off after two min) which made the whole flashing and peeping thing that much more a "Christine" experience for me as I sat in the dark with only the dim light from the SCT tuner and all for sudden the headlights come on and the whole garage is lit up like it's been hit by lighting.

Anywho... This morning I couldn't wait to drive and what a difference. I am running the canned 91 Perf/Tow tune from 5 star. First up I am getting 14mpg sitting in stop and go commute traffic, that normally on a good day would only give me 11mpg (A lot of idle sitting). So I am curious to see my overall average mpg's which used to be in the 13ish +-0.5 if I am not towing on the weekends. My guess is I should see something in the 16ish ballpark, but I'll update as time goes on.

The driving experience is similar different... The truck feels less lethargic, more natural, like others have said before... It behave's the way it SHOULD have come from the factory. Pick up is more quickly, it holds the gears a bit longer (not as long as in Sport mode, but just about the right amount). It feels like now the truck is trying to stay in between 1500 - 2800 RPM, whereas in with the stock map it feels like the truck is trying to stay in between 1000 - 1800 rpm and refuses to downshift unless you WOT. Now it downshifts on much less throttle input making the whole shifting behavior much more natural / sense-able.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry for posting this here... I have a 2016 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB and I have a question about the SCT 4x (or other tuners)
So I added bigger wheels (34" vs 32" stock) and naturally my speedo is off by about 2-3%. Now having gone to my local Ford dealer to have my speedo adjusted I wasted 2h just like others have done before me. After monkeying around for 2h they told me they can't do it.

That leaves me with two options (well, three, but the first ins't an option IMHO)
1. Ignore the 2-3% difference. (I don't want to)
2. Get a Hypertech for $230ish, use it once and don't need it anymore. (Don't want to spend $230+ for this if I can get more out of it for a couple bucks more)
3. Get a tuner for $400-$600 and get the benefit of being able to do some more. I am a conservative driver and I am not looking for all out performance. But having read that even the basic 87 Perf/Tow - 91 Perf/Tow tunes make a (big) difference without running the risk blowing your engine within 60k miles.
Some say that you can change the tire size and some say you can't (and I believe a lot of either statement has to do with model year of the truck, but sometimes people miss to elaborate on that detail)...

So my questions are...
1. Can anyone positively confirm that with a SCT X4 you can actually change the tire size on a 2016 3.5 EB (Platinum, even tho I like to believe the model doesn't matter)?
-- If not with the SCT X4, which tuner can / allows me to adjust tire size. (I know the DiaboloSport can for sure, but I don't need a big fancy display-ish type, I wouldn't leave it plugged in anyways. Hence the question about the SCT X4 @$200 cheaper)

2-a. Can this be done only via a custom tune, meaning I would have to reach out to someone like 5star or similar and have them write me a custom tune with my tire size in it (Even tho the tune might just be based on a off the shelf 87 - 91 Perf/Tow tune, but the tire size makes it "custom").
--- or ---
2-b. can I take an off the shelf 87 or 91 Perf/Tow tune and plugin the numbers for the tires myself.

3. In CA these tuners are "illegal" thanks to the tree-huggers out here. Any good source where to get one in / into CA short of smuggling it in my rectum across the border?

Thanks in advance for any feedback / help.
Yes I have the sct.tuner x4..it's your best best to get closest cause there is for example like 35.1 and a 34.5 and all that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts