F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! Looking forward to sifting through the crazy amount of knowledge and experience here. I'm excited about my new truck and I was wondering if anyone has found any issues with their ecoboosts? I have seen a little bit about people adding catch cans and other things to prevent long term engine issues so I was hoping to get a little advice as to the best way to make the truck last a long time. Thanks in advance! (I will try to figure out how to post photos- stone grey, s crew fx4, will be getting a level kit installed soon).

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
just keep up on your oil changes and you will be just fine

·
Registered
541 Posts
Conduct oil changes with a quality oil (M1 or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum are common choices) at a reasonable OCI.
Use Top Tier gas - premium if you want the extra timing advance and a few more HP, or if you intend to tune.
And *drive it*. Don't baby it around all the time - it's a high performance engine, drive it like one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I plan to drive it. It is so fun to drive.

What do you usually use as your typical OCI? Especially when using high quality oil.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks! I plan to drive it. It is so fun to drive.

What do you usually use as your typical OCI? Especially when using high quality oil.
I personally use 7.5K, since I tend to idle a fair amount as I use my truck for fire department response. You'll hear everything from "follow the IOLM and change it when it says" to "I change my oil every time I drive my truck" around here (and other forums). If my IOLM were to trip before 7.5K elapsed, or if I had been really abusing the truck (numerous hours idling, long/heavy trailer pulls, etc.) then I would probably do 5K on that change.

The only way to know for *certain* is to have a used-oil analysis performed, and slowly extend the OCI until you see reasonable results.

Personally, I run Mobil 1 (the "regular" M1) as it's treated me well over many years. My family and I have taken multiple engines north of 150K with it, one as far as 225K, and none were burning oil. And, it's reasonably priced, especially at Costco when they have it on sale. I wouldn't hesitate to run PUP either, if that was easier to get. I do not see the justification in running one of the ludicrous-price oils out there (like Scamsoil).

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
welcome fellow booster!

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Gearhead auto octane tune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts