F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need advises for F-150 EcoBoost 4x4 SuperCrew ShortBed (diff, g/r, tires, etc)

Hey folks, I'm looking to buy an F-150 EcoBoost 4x4 SuperCrew Short Bed and I need advices.

I will mostly get a Lariat with 502A package that include Tow Pack of course an 18in wheels.

I, not to say mostly my gf during week, will use the pick-up all year long.

Weather condition here can go from -35C & lots of snow in January to +35C & really humid in July !

- 75% commuting 50km per day on secodary road
- 15% highway trip unloaded
- 10% highway trip towing ~8000 lbs / 30-ft RV trailer

As you can figure here, fuel economy is the main concerns because of the usage, so here's my questions:

Q1. With the 4X4, is e-locking diff really needed ? Will is hurt fuel economy? Is only 400$ more so I guess I take it

Q2. I'm more inclined to take the 3.31 ratio but let's say I'm going for a 2 week RV trip in the Appalache with moderate to heavy hill, will I regret the 3.31 and would be wisier to take the 3.55 then ?

Q3. Is getting 20in wheels will help somehow fuel economy and/or towing; do they Worth the +800 $ ?

I'm reading a lot of pros and cons and people debating about this but don't forget 90% of usage is unloaded so I can live with a 10% "lazy" pick-up...

Thank you and can't wait to enter the F-150 Ecoboost community !

Laurent

P.S. This is my actual Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel and RV weight config

Jeep + RV on scale:
Photo: 33-Highway scale with air suspension (3) | 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel album
Photo: 33-Highway scale with air suspension (1) | 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel album

Full Jeep & RV album here:
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel album

·
Registered
943 Posts
Q1 Yes, get the e-lock and 4x4
Q2 The max tow comes with 3:73 gears
Q3 No, the 20" wheels are not worth $800 & they will not help uel economy

JMHO

·
Registered
138 Posts
Q1 Yes, get the e-lock and 4x4
Q2 The max tow comes with 3:73 gears
Q3 No, the 20" wheels are not worth $800 & they will not help uel economy

JMHO
Agreed. My 2011 lariat has 18's and I prefer them over a larger wheel smaller side wall combo. 3.73 and the max tow with e-lock is vey nice to have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3.73 is out of question for sure, like said we towing 10% of the time max and for leisure only... I'm no contractor, nor need the pick-up for working.

My choice is really between 3.31 and 3.55 and according to specs, both will be fine to tow my RV, there is only a 400lbs difference !?!

My RV trailer = 8000lbs MAX (7600 measured on last scale)

3.31 = 9200 lbs with SuperCrew Short Bed (146in wheelbase)
3.55 = 9600 lbs with SuperCrew Short Bed (146in wheelbase)

Now I may have forgot one important thing. Here in Canada and specially in Quebec, gas is taxes alot... Litre of Regular goes from 1.25$ to 1.50$, add 10-12¢ for Premium gas. After conversion for you guys, it means up to $ 5.78 per gallon of regular gas :eek:

·
Registered
943 Posts
3:73's will decrease your mileage by less than 1%. My trailer is smaller than yours and I wouldn't think about pulling it in "Applache" with anything less than 3:73's. With the max tow you also get the nice big towing mirrors for better rear and side vision in all circustances.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think you'll be happier with the 3.73 max tow package but if you want taller gears for gas mileage I can understand that. You'll be getting at most 2 mpg more with the 3.31, but on the flip side that 8k trailer isn't going to feel as good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't believe 3.31 & 3.73 would be 1% diff in fuel economy, unloaded or loaded... why then Ford would offer 5 differents gear ratio to consumer then ?!?!?!

Ok so I won't go 3.31 definitly... but 3.55 should be the best for me right ? It is the default g/r for 4x4 Ecoboost anyway

Tow Max package does'nt seems available anymore in Canada... You get the "regular" Tow Pack and manually add 3.73/4.10 & electric+foldable tow mirror, etc.

I'm reading articles that towing with Ecoboost is really fuel consuming thus... I may regret my Diesel :confused:

·
Registered
868 Posts
i have a 4x4 2013 with E-locker and 3.55 gears i get between 15.4 mpg to 24.5 mpg depending on if i am towing up hill 70 mph or just driving a flat back rd at 45 mph
on average i am right around 18.6 mpg with daily driving back and forth to work and in town grocery getting
the E-locker is only for special circumstances where extra traction is needed pulling out in slippery conditions and disengages at 25mph whether you like or not and the 3.55 gears are a good happy medium between fuel economy and towing power.
i am a true truck guy and have had 4 diff F-150's and this is to date the best truck i have owned with both power and good milage.

here is the con that i see in your situation you want to pull an 8,000 lb trailer once every couple months and your not going to do that with an AWD car that gets 25mpg or 30 mpg so your choices become narrowed to some type truck that can handle that task.
i know the ecoboost would not disappoint you but keep in mind the other 90% of the driving your doing is still going to have to be in a heavy 4x4 truck

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
3.73 vs 3.15 nets minimal if any mileage increases. I would not get any other rear end. There is an article that explains this I will try to find the link.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Radier, That is a good read. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Thanks Wayne but I can't take credit another member posted it in another thread ;)

But to back this up, go to the real world mileage thread and you will see that many members with the 3.73 are getting better mileage than those with a higher (numerically lower) rear end. My personal best is 20.4 hand calculated which includes going over the grapevine on I•5

·
Registered
943 Posts
I thought I had read it before but, was still good to read it again. I'm happy with MPG on my truck with 3:73's. I do wish it did better whrn towing my travel tgrailer but, it is what it is. As I have said before, our trucks are very sensitive to speed, wind, temperature, and towing when it comes to MPG. Still the smoothest, most quiet vehicle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
360 Posts
the E-locker is only for special circumstances where extra traction is needed pulling out in slippery conditions and disengages at 25mph whether you like or not and the 3.55 gears are a good happy medium between fuel economy and towing power.
I did a lot of reading on this and agree. I chose not to go with the e-locking rear axel because it is really only good for very low speed or stuck situations. If you try to make a turn with the e-locker on the wheels will bind so you better hope to be on a slightly slippery surface like dirt, snow, etc. The only value I see in it would be off-road situations where the truck is on un-even ground, and even then, only when you are basically crawling through a section.

If you want a more usable alternative, go with the 3.55 read end with the limited slip axel. I ended up going with the 3.31 (they don’t offer a limited slip in that ratio) because I never tow and hardly off-road so the standard 4x4 will be fine for those seasonal trips to the snow. I am also hoping to get a bit better MPG with the slightly lower RPM’s while cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I have a friend with a cummins. Megacab, 4x4, automatic. He gets similar mileage to me all things being equal. With any truck, you will get poor mileage when towing. It's unloaded that makes the difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My new F-150 is ordered and being built right now (I hope)... Basicly it is:

F-150 EcoBoost 4x4 SuperCrew ShortBed (146in)
  • Platinum White with Adobe ingot (best match with our RV trailer)
  • Lariat trim
  • 501A Pack(Tow pack + brake ctrl, Nerf bar, back-up cam)
  • 502A Pack (Sunroof, HID, Nav, Tailgate step)
  • Off-Road Pack (3.55:1 w/E-Lock Diff, skid plates, off-road shock, hill descent control, LT tires)

• Soft-Rolling/fold bed cover
  • Spray-in bed liner
  • Electric+heated tow mirrors
  • Wheel-well liners

Can't wait 6-8 weeks for delivery !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
First Post, and digging up an old one I know,
Angel: have almost the exact same setup, right down to color. Happy with yours?
I am thrilled. Starting to get some poor gas mileage numbers (around 11ish MPG) so starting to do some tinkering to get adjusted and back on track (new moto sp534 plugs and filters and such).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts