F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TL Tech Custom Tuning
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One week sale starting today on the AEM Water/Methanol Injection Kit (30-3300) and free shipping!

What is Water/Methanol Injection?
It effectively reduces engine inlet air temperatures and suppresses detonation/knock. This allows racers to reliably increase boost and advance ignition timing—without using high-octane racing fuel—for additional power gains.

Why Do I Need It?
If you are looking to maximize the power output of your Powerboost / Ecoboost engine, then water/methanol injection is a cost effective way of adding more power.

What's Included?
The kit includes three interchangeable injector nozzles to change the flow rate according to your application and has everything else you need for the system to work. There is an optional inline filter (which I recommend you use) and you will need to purchase the methanol/water mix (AKA boost juice).

What Happens If I Run Out Of Water/Methanol?
The controllers in AEM’s Water Methanol systems include an integrated “Boost Safe” output feature that monitors the entire injection system and triggers a ground signal via an output if it detects a voltage-related error (short, bad connection, broken wire, overheated pump, high or low voltage signal, etc.), allowing you to define the failsafe strategy from something as simple as flashing a warning light to more advanced strategies like pulling boost or ignition or switching fuel maps on a standalone engine management system.

This is what comes in the kit:

Liquid Product Camera accessory Fluid Font

Here's how it works:

Product Font Graphics Design Diagram

GO FAST!!
www.tltechpro.com

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,036 Posts
Would it sully this thread if I asked a couple of questions regarding this technique for "cooling intake temps"?

·
TL Tech Custom Tuning
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it sully this thread if I asked a couple of questions regarding this technique for "cooling intake temps"?
Go ahead, what are your questions?

·
Premium Member
14,036 Posts
Well first, you included the Powerboost, so I found it tempting to comment. :)

I only know of these kits in reference to folks aiming for making substantial power and combining it with custom tuning. That's NOT an application that I am curious about.
Rather it's the cooling properties of the intake temps that I'm pondering.

The Powerboost is crippled in regards to getting low IAT2 temps. It appears to me that is a result of the Hybrid often turning off the ICE (after it has reached normal 3.5 Ecoboost operating temps). Since there is a sudden interruption in airflow bringing in fresh air, the engine block heat soaks both the intake plenum as well as cooks the static air. IAT2's noticeably rises as much as 10-15° during the EV events.

So back to the water/methanol.....

What are the possibilities that water/methanol could be used just for the cooling properties but in low enough quantity that the stock PCM tune would not be negatively affected, but in fact would behave similar to how it does on a cool morning? 😁😁

If that was possible to accomplish meaningfully, the danger of a malfunction of the kit not delivering the cocktail wouldn't be such a concern. The cooling just wouldn't be there and the truck would just be running normally.

I know it might be anecdotal, but I've always felt like the Ecoboost was more responsive on the rare crisp cold mornings that I have driven. Can a kit create an artificial January morning?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,441 Posts
I too only want this to keep my intake temps cool, not trying to turn timing up.
How does this kit compare to the Snow Performance kit?

·
TL Tech Custom Tuning
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The AEM kit is functionally the same as the Snow Performance Kit. It will lower air charge temps. Other upgrades to consider for added cooling:
  • Upgraded radiator
  • Larger trans cooler
  • Lower temp thermostat
  • Higher volume intercooler
  • Tuning to adjust thermostat and fan settings

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
Well first, you included the Powerboost, so I found it tempting to comment. :)

I only know of these kits in reference to folks aiming for making substantial power and combining it with custom tuning. That's NOT an application that I am curious about.
Rather it's the cooling properties of the intake temps that I'm pondering.

The Powerboost is crippled in regards to getting low IAT2 temps. It appears to me that is a result of the Hybrid often turning off the ICE (after it has reached normal 3.5 Ecoboost operating temps). Since there is a sudden interruption in airflow bringing in fresh air, the engine block heat soaks both the intake plenum as well as cooks the static air. IAT2's noticeably rises as much as 10-15° during the EV events.

So back to the water/methanol.....

What are the possibilities that water/methanol could be used just for the cooling properties but in low enough quantity that the stock PCM tune would not be negatively affected, but in fact would behave similar to how it does on a cool morning? 😁😁

If that was possible to accomplish meaningfully, the danger of a malfunction of the kit not delivering the cocktail wouldn't be such a concern. The cooling just wouldn't be there and the truck would just be running normally.

I know it might be anecdotal, but I've always felt like the Ecoboost was more responsive on the rare crisp cold mornings that I have driven. Can a kit create an artificial January morning?
I wonder if you could accomplish what you want with just DI water. Water has a much higher heat of vaporization(the amount of heat needed to vaporize the water) than methanol and wouldnt act like fuel. You could inject less of it to cool the same amount of air mass and its probably cheaper and easier to find.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
14,036 Posts
I wonder if you could accomplish what you want with just DI water. Water has a much higher heat of vaporization(the amount of heat needed to vaporize the water) than methanol and wouldnt act like fuel. You could inject less of it to cool the same amount of air mass and its probably cheaper and easier to find.
Thanks for chiming in regarding.
So there's gotta be a catch though, right?
To accomplish meaningful temperature reduction, would it require a concentration that the stock tuning couldn't contend with?

There's gotta be an explanation for why it's not a common remedy for hot weather heat soaked forced inductioned motors. :)

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
Thanks for chiming in regarding.
So there's gotta be a catch though, right?
To accomplish meaningful temperature reduction, would it require a concentration that the stock tuning couldn't contend with?

There's gotta be an explanation for why it's not a common remedy for hot weather heat soaked forced inductioned motors. :)
well, the way you want to use it, it seems like you would have to start injecting at low boost(or even vaccum) to start cooling the air and intake before you need it.

so i guess the catch is that would need a lot of water. Youd be filling it constantly.

but as far as the pcm not contending with it, i dont think that would be an issue with water. The water would just evaporate and pass through the enigne.

·
TL Tech Custom Tuning
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hotrodders have used water injection and water/methanol injection for years to cool engines and prevent knock. For mild cooling you would use a small nozzle and set the controller to activate above a certain rpm to conserve water. To prevent the tank from freezing in the winter, add methanol to the tank. That has a secondary benefit of giving you a little performance boost.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,441 Posts
Hotrodders have used water injection and water/methanol injection for years to cool engines and prevent knock. For mild cooling you would use a small nozzle and set the controller to activate above a certain rpm to conserve water. To prevent the tank from freezing in the winter, add methanol to the tank. That has a secondary benefit of giving you a little performance boost.
I wouldn’t even need it in the winter here. I’ve seen intake temps of 25 degrees before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts