·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, awesome. Great help appreciate it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the AFE cold air intake Cold Air Intake System Stage-2 Magnum FORCE Intake System; Stage 2 Pro 5R; Ford F-150 EcoBoost;*12-13 V6-3.5L (tt) 54-12192 - aFe Power Truck&model=F-150&year=2012&engine=3.5L&&brandID=53

or the intercooler charge pipe Intercooler BladeRunner Charge Pipe; Ford F-150 EcoBoost 11-13 V6-3.5L (tt) 46-20129 - aFe Power Truck&model=F-150&year=2012&engine=3.5L&&brandID=58
I have the AFE stage2 installed on my truck. Sounds great, can really hear the turbo's. When hauling my toy hauler around the mountains I can hear it sucking All that air in too. Especially when I'm up at 7000ft+ elivation. I think thats where this unit really shines. If you are looking at one I have,do yourself a favour and get the couplers upgraded. I found out the hard way< they cracked and split on me! Blew the right side turbo selenoid. Had it warranty repaired though.(put the stock one on and took it in). In all fairness to AFE the weather was -40 something when it happened. Bought some 4ply re inforced silicone ones. they will never fail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the info. Ill probably do that just in case whether it was the cold weather or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed the AFE Stage 1. You have to listen hard to hear any noise increase. Performance increase - didn't notice any. MPG - YES! I'm finally touching 15mpg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, not at this time. I'm researching catbacks, looking at Stainless & aFe. A note on the MPG's. Before installing the Stage 1 I was really lucky if I ever got anywhere close to 15, city or highway. I installed the aFe the middle of last week and all I've been doing is "testing" it out. I'm now getting 16+ city and 17.5+ highway, combined 2 / 4 lane highway. I could tell I hadn't reached the max on the highway MPG's yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I installed the stainless Flo-pro 4" catback yesterday and besides the much louder noise, I didn't really "feel" an improvement in performance. Today I lucked out and found a new AFE Stage 2 on craigslist for $200. Install was a cinch. Took it for a spin and once again, I don't "feel" much difference other than the sound. Not sure what I am missing but sure seems like a lot of money for very little reward. I had a SCT tuner on my list of upgrades, but I'm a bit reluctant now after these two less than impressive upgrades...

·
Registered
589 Posts
I installed the stainless Flo-pro 4" catback yesterday and besides the much louder noise, I didn't really "feel" an improvement in performance. Today I lucked out and found a new AFE Stage 2 on craigslist for $200. Install was a cinch. Took it for a spin and once again, I don't "feel" much difference other than the sound. Not sure what I am missing but sure seems like a lot of money for very little reward. I had a SCT tuner on my list of upgrades, but I'm a bit reluctant now after these two less than impressive upgrades...
Most have shown little gain without the tuner, once you plug the tuner in (most gains and bang for your buck) your Eco will really show improvements and take full advantage of the intake and exhaust upgrade. Tuner seems to be the number one recommend upgrade for the Eco and yields the greatest power increase backed by Dyno and by the seat testing results!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was supposed to get my truck custom tuned on Monday. It didn't happen! Dyno was broke down....re booked for the 16th of May. I got some good info from the owner of the shop who is also a ecoboost owner. My experience is a little different then m361's. The first mod I did was a 4" heartthrob exhaust, I found it to make a huge difference to my truck. Now I have no #'s to prove it but I truly believe that the exhaust was a big bang for my buck. Then I installed the afe stage 2 CAI and like m361 I didn't notice any performance change,but sounds awesome! Maybe there was a slight improvement but I didn't notice...Next is the tuner! One of the things Niel told me(shop owner) was how much difference an exhaust makes on these trucks. Now I didn't coax him into saying this. He said that he has proven this on his dyno. He also smiled after he looked at my truck (with the CAI and Exhaust) and said "you are going to love the tune" and from all the threads I've read here I'm sure he is rite! Also going to give me a better deal for the inconvenience of having to re-book. Now to wait another three weeks to get er done!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed the sct tuner with 91 octane map on my bone stock 2013 ecoboost f150 & it was a huge difference! I have been driving it stock with sct (91 Octane) tune for about 3 weeks now. The difference in torque is very noticeable. I just installed the afe stage 2 (dry filters) intake yesterday. I took it out for a drive with the same tune (91) & it felt about the same to me. Today, I installed the AFE 3.5" stainless single exit exhaust. I took it out for a drive, again, with the same (91) tune! To my surprise, it felt like I lost a lot of torque over the stock exhaust!! I know there is a setting to input that I have an intake & exhaust when flashing, so I am gonna do that now before I drive my truck again. I hope reflashing helps get my torque back that my butt Dyno says I lost. I am gonna drive it for a few days with the new goodies & tune & see how I feel after putting some miles on it. The sound is very nice though. Just gives the truck a nice deep tone, not loud at all & no drone. I will post back with my opinion in a few days!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed you are in Alberta! Do you mind me asking where you are getting your custom tune?

I was supposed to get my truck custom tuned on Monday. It didn't happen! Dyno was broke down....re booked for the 16th of May. I got some good info from the owner of the shop who is also a ecoboost owner. My experience is a little different then m361's. The first mod I did was a 4" heartthrob exhaust, I found it to make a huge difference to my truck. Now I have no #'s to prove it but I truly believe that the exhaust was a big bang for my buck. Then I installed the afe stage 2 CAI and like m361 I didn't notice any performance change,but sounds awesome! Maybe there was a slight improvement but I didn't notice...Next is the tuner! One of the things Niel told me(shop owner) was how much difference an exhaust makes on these trucks. Now I didn't coax him into saying this. He said that he has proven this on his dyno. He also smiled after he looked at my truck (with the CAI and Exhaust) and said "you are going to love the tune" and from all the threads I've read here I'm sure he is rite! Also going to give me a better deal for the inconvenience of having to re-book. Now to wait another three weeks to get er done!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the AFE cold air intake Cold Air Intake System Stage-2 Magnum FORCE Intake System; Stage 2 Pro 5R; Ford F-150 EcoBoost;*12-13 V6-3.5L (tt) 54-12192 - aFe Power Truck&model=F-150&year=2012&engine=3.5L&&brandID=53

or the intercooler charge pipe Intercooler BladeRunner Charge Pipe; Ford F-150 EcoBoost 11-13 V6-3.5L (tt) 46-20129 - aFe Power Truck&model=F-150&year=2012&engine=3.5L&&brandID=58
I have the bladerunner sitting in the garage...I'll post up information on that one (with some testing) once I get it installed.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Year old thread. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had to put in my 2 cents to this old thread incase someone still is not sold on the afe stage 2 cold air intake. I averaged 16.5 mpg driving to work when my 2013 4x4 screw was stock. The whole drive is 25-35 mph with one 2 mile stretch that I can go 45mph. It is also full of hills to climb. After installing the intake I am averaging 20mpg. I am very pleased with my purchase

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
3.5 mpg gain with just a CAI?

Certified Internet Warrior. I once ctrl alt del'd a man to death.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, it's ridiculous. The only thing I can think is the added torque saves me going up the hills. The hills were killing me before.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
15 Participants
bayourunner
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing