F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did get around to the install of the AFE Scorcher Module yesterday morning. The installation once you get past the removal of the engine cover is a true Plug-n=Plan wire harness. Once installed you need to use the provided Zip Ties to locate the wire harness out of the way and then use the Special Heat Resistant Velcro to mount the module in your chosen location. Next is to place the key in the one position to make sure the blue light does light up showing that the module is powered up.

With that out of the way I took off to Costco to fuel the truck and pick up a box of Crab Cakes (which were excellent served over pasta with an arrabiata sauce). This trip was for the better part under 55mph with most speeds under 40mph a few stop signs and traffic signals. First impression was that the turbo lag seemed longer, but once you hit around the 1,500rpm range the turbo kicked in with a much felt improvement in the turbo pressure as the acceleration shot you forward. After a little behind the wheel time I realized that the felt turbo lag was more related to the fact that I had moved my foot pedals forward the evening before and had not adjusted the distance to a point in which I was used to.
Over all city driving impression was that it was very noticeable as a pleasant improvement.

But, Wait, There's More!!!!

It would not be fair to do a review based on a 10 mile round trip in suburban driving situations only. So I went home and loaded up a few firearms to do a little soda can dancing down a dried up creek bed (had a blast by the way).
Upon entering the highway the power felt as the truck rocketed up the entry ramp was amazing. This entry ramp does a 180 degree turn up hill, the added boost was well presented in a strong solid buy even feel all the way up to 70mph. I use a ScanGauge II to watch my turbo pressure. The SGII does a digital read out, which I have set to the fast update position, it was amazing how fast the reading would go from 0 to a little over 14 pounds of boost as I would be pushed back into the seat. Yes, it did deliver that kind of a "Seat of the Pants" performance.
However, there was a time when I had hit the resume on the cruise control while in overdrive and it felt like the truck downshifted, yet the transmission read out did not show a downshift of any sort. On the drive home at speeds of 75-80mph this same feel reappeared. I can explain it in no other way than the feel of an abrupt downshift. Yet at speeds of 65-70mph this never happened.

This morning I went out and removed the module and plan to drive the truck for the day in various conditions to see if I can in all fairness say that this feel is only present with the AFE installed. I don't know if the boost maybe causing transmission shifting confusion with the trucks program. Or if I may have simply received a module that is not the norm and a little out of sync.

I will be calling Stage3 this morning to see how to go about replacing the AFE Scorcher with another and then see if the problem still exist. I have no concerns with Stage3 working with me and getting this straightened out and corrected as they seem to have some excellent customer service as a foundation to the company.

As for the AFE Scorcher, I have tried to present you with a straight forward review. I know that this may not be the review you were in hope of, but then I'm not going to sugar coat my results which may result in you spending your hard earned money based on a non-truthful review.

I will keep everyone updated as to how things advance from here and hope to come back with a review giving this a 100% recommendation.

FWIW: I did scan for any stored codes that may have registered to which there were none.

Should you have any questions please post them up and I will do my best to answer them for you.

this was installed on a friends 2013 FX4 ecoboost who wanted to try it out before ordering one. His truck is identical to mine with 7,000 miles of pure driving perfection and no intercooler shudder problems displayed in the past.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did get around to the install of the AFE Scorcher Module yesterday morning. The installation once you get past the removal of the engine cover is a true Plug-n=Plan wire harness. Once installed you need to use the provided Zip Ties to locate the wire harness out of the way and then use the Special Heat Resistant Velcro to mount the module in your chosen location. Next is to place the key in the one position to make sure the blue light does light up showing that the module is powered up.

With that out of the way I took off to Costco to fuel the truck and pick up a box of Crab Cakes (which were excellent served over pasta with an arrabiata sauce). This trip was for the better part under 55mph with most speeds under 40mph a few stop signs and traffic signals. First impression was that the turbo lag seemed longer, but once you hit around the 1,500rpm range the turbo kicked in with a much felt improvement in the turbo pressure as the acceleration shot you forward. After a little behind the wheel time I realized that the felt turbo lag was more related to the fact that I had moved my foot pedals forward the evening before and had not adjusted the distance to a point in which I was used to.
Over all city driving impression was that it was very noticeable as a pleasant improvement.

But, Wait, There's More!!!!

It would not be fair to do a review based on a 10 mile round trip in suburban driving situations only. So I went home and loaded up a few firearms to do a little soda can dancing down a dried up creek bed (had a blast by the way).
Upon entering the highway the power felt as the truck rocketed up the entry ramp was amazing. This entry ramp does a 180 degree turn up hill, the added boost was well presented in a strong solid buy even feel all the way up to 70mph. I use a ScanGauge II to watch my turbo pressure. The SGII does a digital read out, which I have set to the fast update position, it was amazing how fast the reading would go from 0 to a little over 14 pounds of boost as I would be pushed back into the seat. Yes, it did deliver that kind of a "Seat of the Pants" performance.
However, there was a time when I had hit the resume on the cruise control while in overdrive and it felt like the truck downshifted, yet the transmission read out did not show a downshift of any sort. On the drive home at speeds of 75-80mph this same feel reappeared. I can explain it in no other way than the feel of an abrupt downshift. Yet at speeds of 65-70mph this never happened.

This morning I went out and removed the module and plan to drive the truck for the day in various conditions to see if I can in all fairness say that this feel is only present with the AFE installed. I don't know if the boost maybe causing transmission shifting confusion with the trucks program. Or if I may have simply received a module that is not the norm and a little out of sync.

I will be calling Stage3 this morning to see how to go about replacing the AFE Scorcher with another and then see if the problem still exist. I have no concerns with Stage3 working with me and getting this straightened out and corrected as they seem to have some excellent customer service as a foundation to the company.

As for the AFE Scorcher, I have tried to present you with a straight forward review. I know that this may not be the review you were in hope of, but then I'm not going to sugar coat my results which may result in you spending your hard earned money based on a non-truthful review.

I will keep everyone updated as to how things advance from here and hope to come back with a review giving this a 100% recommendation.

FWIW: I did scan for any stored codes that may have registered to which there were none.

Should you have any questions please post them up and I will do my best to answer them for you.

this was installed on a friends 2013 FX4 ecoboost who wanted to try it out before ordering one. His truck is identical to mine with 7,000 miles of pure driving perfection and no intercooler shudder problems displayed in the past.
I have noticed the same "downshift" situation on my stock 2012 with no indication of changing gears but a 200 RPM increase in engine speed.....still in 6th. I was thinking maybe it trans locks up in OD giving what would be the equivalent of a 7th gear? Does not shift down but feels/sounds like it and RPMs increase....not sure what's happening...........John

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not seeing any change in the RPM one either the ScangaugeII tach nor the instrument panel tach when this happened. Just the feel of the jerk as if a downshift had occurred.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a follow up as to the power of boost in relation to mph. There as a need to pass a couple of vehicles who were averaging 50mph in a 70mph zone. As I pulled out to pass I accelerated in the manner I usually would meaning I did not accelerate hard as there was no on coming traffic. However upon acceleration the transmission did downshift as would be expected, the boost climbed with more zest then expected as the two vehicles I passed went from being in view out my windshield to becoming two vehicles in my rearview mirror as I pulled back in the proper lane. I didn't look at the speedometer, I just pulled back into my lane, slowed down and continued the drive back to the house. When I did get to the house as I was running the Scangauge for any codes one last time, I also ran through the memory of the trip that the SGII records to check things like fuel used, MPG, temps, and MPH. It appears that what felt like a pretty quick passing of two cars traveling at 50mph was in fact a quick passing of two cars as the SGII showed top speed driven at 86MPH. I would have never thought that speed had been reached as I am a drive at the speed limit kind of person.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have been curious about this module and will be watching this thread. Thanks for the info and I look forward to see how things work out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had communications with Stage3 who has stepped up to the plate and said they would take care of the issue. I am also awaiting a return phone call from AFE. I spoke with AFE customer service who asked if I would mind if they had an AFE Tech call me to discuss the issue so that they are aware of the matter.

Again, I will update the post as things progress.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i have felt what you called a downshift on my 2013 and i am pretty sure it is the lockup of the torque converter you are feeling
i noticed mine a few times when i am on the throttle cruising and then have to lift slightly and coast before returning to the throttle or if i had to tap the brakes in between there.
i know it doesnt actually downshift but it almost feels like engine braking and im almost positive its just the converter releasing or locking up.

thats funny passing at 86 mph and i have to share my experience to back that claim
i got behind a tracter trailer going up hill in a 45 zone traveling around 30mph unlike you i accelerated as rapidly as the little 6 banger would allow in its mostly stock form.
however from the time i traversed a 53 foot trailer behind a Big Rig cab and allowed adequate distance so the driver didnt feel i cut him off i was already pushing 70mph going up the 5 degree grade so i can fully believe after passing 2 vehicles you traveled around the same distance i would have

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never received my call back from the AFE tech, so I called back and got hold of another person in the technical assistance dept. Who after listening to my story said I need to transfer you to our tech, which he did. Of course no one answered the phone so I had to leave a message and phone number for a call back.

I hope the two of you are right and it is just TQ convertor lock up. Because to be honest I really enjoyed that extra boost and kick in the pants I experienced yesterday.

·
Registered
868 Posts
if i recall the claim was 57hp gain !
does that seem about right, if so and there are no anomolies involved thats pretty impressive in itself.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if i recall the claim was 57hp gain !
does that seem about right, if so and there are no anomolies involved thats pretty impressive in itself.
My Butt-O-Meter registered a pretty good degree of cheek pucker. I had kept meaning to look at the ScangaugeII HP read out while under acceleration, however to be honest with you once that boost gets up into the 14+ pounds of boost (which happens in the blink of an eye) you are clipping along at a speed where I didn't want to take my eyes off of the road and try to watch the HP read out as it kept updating on the SGII.

If this is a simple TQ convertor lock up matter, which would make some sense in the feel and fact that it does not register or store any codes I would be more than pleased with the results.

Heck, a little further down the road and I would give thought to piggy backing a SCT tune with it more for the transmission tune than the power gain.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would like to add one more time that through out this whole ordeal, From the order being placed right up though today Stage3 has stayed on top of things. This morning after I posted my review Stage3 contacted me...that's right...they contacted me to make sure I am taken care of and pleased. Where do you find customer service like that now days? This says a lot about the integrity of a company.

·
Registered
868 Posts
if we can get that 2nd or 3rd party to test these out and compare results or better yet if we could get one of the sponsers to dyno a before and after install we would have some pretty solid data to go from.
i would dive right into one myself but my truck is brand new and i am being very cautious as to what i install or change right now until i feel out the service department i will be dealing with over the next few yrs.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK UPDATE POST

I received a call from the AFE Tech. We talked about what I had experienced with the abrupt feel of what I thought was a down shift. He said this was a something new that he had not heard of happening. I explained to him in detail what kind of driving I was doing at the time of the symptoms happening. We talked about a theory of torque convertor lock up which he agreed could be a possibility but also said that this should also show up as a change in RPM on the tachometer.

His train of thought was to be more inclined to believe it was turbo pressure being released via the wastegate. If building pressure past a set limit the excess is going to be blown off which could feel much like a hard down shift as the pressure is released and then builds back up causing the feel of a jerk. On larger heavier diesel trucks this may not be as noticeable as on an F150 with the dual turbo set up.

This morning before receiving the call from AFE I had went out and installed the Scorcher back in the truck to give it another go around. I just got back from some suburban running around and let me tell you that boost build is quick and transfers that power to the rear wheels in quick fashion.

I will continue to run the module and post back if there are any further issues or concerns. However, I don't expect there to be any. FWIW: if you do install one of these systems on your truck and for some reason wanted to disconnect it and drive without it. It would take less than 90 seconds to remove the engine cover and unplug the AFE Scorcher and be back on the road.

One last Warning, this makes keeping the truck at low speed difficult with the quick build of boost. You almost have to rethink the way you drive in town and go very light on the Go Pedal. Or Go you will and very quickly.

Again, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I have also run a scan on the truck again after driving it, it still reads clean with no codes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would the dealer know this is installed since it does not change settings in the cpu? Once you run a few tanks of gas could you report on any difference in mpg. Seems like your mileage will have to go down to to the increase in boost.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will be happy to give an update as to MPG when I get some numbers together. Matter of fact earlier today before I took off I reset one of my trip o meters so that I could compare the with and with out mileage.

I think the dealer would know it was installed if he were looking under the engine cover so some reason and came across the wire harness jumper wire. However, it can be removed completely from the truck in less then 5 minutes if you wanted to do so before going in for service. As for any alterations to the CPU, I don't think that this would be detectable because you are not altering the program in any way.

Is this worth the $225 it cost me shipped from Stage3, yeap. Will it cost me any MPG, well I don't think that it will directly. Maybe more so indirectly due to a direct relationship to the pressure applied by my right foot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
jon, great thread. Thanks for all the info. I'm a little more comfortable about ordering one. Can't wait to hit the road upon installing it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH Doggies, I just back from the dealership where I drove a new F150 2013 FX4 Ecoboost for a bit while I was having some work done to mine. It felt like an underpowered powertrain. Went back and picked my truck up a few hours later, when I pulled out of the dealership my tires started to squeal down the road and chirped into second gear. This was not intentional and it sure caught me off guard.

Now I know why it was named the "Scorcher"!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the downshift without the trans read out showing it is a normal thing. My brand new, bone stock 2013 f150 does the exact same thing. It's not a mechanical problem...just a lag in the electrical system than can be aggravating.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts