F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased/used this programmer? I am looking into the aFe Power Striker Package but cannot find any real reviews on the Scorcher Programmer or the 3.5 inch Mach Force XP exhaust. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Has anyone purchased/used this programmer? I am looking into the aFe Power Striker Package but cannot find any real reviews on the Scorcher Programmer or the 3.5 inch Mach Force XP exhaust. Thanks!
I've seen dyno sheets on this and the afr is through the roof, please don't waste your money, if your wanting more power quickly then buy and sct device and get a custom tune from SSI, MPT, 5star, or unleashed. That's where the power is between those 4, not the scorcher.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with the above post. The Scorcher works by fooling the ECU into believing that the turbos are making 2lbs less boost than they really are. The computer commands a certain amount of boost, so if it thinks the turbos are producing 2 less pounds than commanded, the ECU will adjust the wastegate to allow those 2 lbs. to be added. It doesn't change any fuel strategies or ignition timing, it only fools the ECU into adding 2 lbs of boost. Almost everyone on here that has posted about owning one, has posted about wanting to return it because they almost always trip MIL's and cause lean codes. As I'm sure you're aware, lean and forced induction usually results in lots of noise that ends with no more noise... at all....

Go with a custom tune and you'll be much happier with the result.

Reactions: Polch525

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks, so since Superchips had a hand in aFe's programmer should I dodge them too?

·
Registered
750 Posts
From what I think these guys are trying to say is don't mess with anything that will trick your ECU. Rather get something that will rewrite your fuel strategies and timing etc properly . A lot of them are different and it depends on what you personally want out of your truck. When I purchase my tuner I am going with SCT just out of the pure fact that is supports a lot of the main companies writing tunes.

Good luck with your search!

Reactions: wilkinda

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I think these guys are trying to say is don't mess with anything that will trick your ECU. Rather get something that will rewrite your fuel strategies and timing etc properly . A lot of them are different and it depends on what you personally want out of your truck. When I purchase my tuner I am going with SCT just out of the pure fact that is supports a lot of the main companies writing tunes.

Good luck with your search!

Awesome, thanks guys! I have been happy with stage3motorsports and they have some pretty excellent options/reviews/price for the SCT, along with lifetime tunes from 5-Star so I am going to go with that one today...

·
Registered
216 Posts
you'll be happy with that choice, well played.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry to tell you guys this but you are WRONG on what the AFE Scorcher does. It ADDS 2 psi of boost throughout the rev range not lowering it. How can you get a gain in HP and torque if it lowers your boost??? :rolleyes:

The reason i am looking into the Scorcher is because it is cheaper and it is undetectable. I am not ready to put on a full tune on my truck and for about $270 you can get the Scorcher.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
^ If you retread the previous posts they said it fools the ECM into thinking it is putting out 2 PSI less than what it actually is. So then it adds 2 PSI to bring it back up. Which in turn is 2 PSI higher. So yes it adds 2 PSI. I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. A buddy had some issues with his.

Reactions: scap99

·
Registered
91 Posts
^ If you retread the previous posts they said it fools the ECM into thinking it is putting out 2 PSI less than what it actually is. So then it adds 2 PSI to bring it back up. Which in turn is 2 PSI higher. So yes it adds 2 PSI. I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. A buddy had some issues with his.
Oh I didn't see that part...lol I asked places that sell the scorcher and they said they had not heard of any issues.

I would love to have a 5 star tuner especially for towing but have not pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Oh I didn't see that part...lol I asked places that sell the scorcher and they said they had not heard of any issues.

I would love to have a 5 star tuner especially for towing but have not pulled the trigger.
Many times that is akin to asking your waiter if the food is good...

You're not always going to get the unbiased truth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts