F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving home today from a 200 mile trip and came to a light right in from of my neighborhood and get on it about half throttle and I feel a slight mis. At first I thought it was the transmission shifting a little funny. So I turn around and hit it about three quarter throttle from a five mile roll and the trucks starts to misfire to where the engine light starts flashing. I quicky let off the throttle and pull over. It seemed to cycle through a series of blinks and then goes off. So I slowly drive home which is about three blocks away. I turn the truck off and hook up my scanner, however there were no codes stored.

2013 Ford f150
3.5 EcoBoost
83,000 miles
Never had any prior issues.
Plugs changed around 25,000 miles ago.
Truck stock.

The only thing that has me a little baffled is no DTC codes we're stored. I plan to drive a little tomorrow. And I will probably see if it happens again. I will also be buying a new set of plugs followed by new coils.

How are you all determining which cylinder is having the misfire. I assume you need a Ford scanner for this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
I'd be checking the Intercooler for liquid first.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Unfortunately you have to stay in the throttle, allowing it to continue misfiring, in order to log a DTC. That’s been my experience at least.

Check for gunk, replace plugs etc, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. After doing some reading it seems it will tell you the cylinder that misfired with a P030x. But you all know this. I'm thinking it may be more of a intercooler/moisture issue with the long drive at a steady state.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Do you have a weep hole in the CAC?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the exact same symptoms and eventually found out it was a failing high pressure fuel pump (motor mounted).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ugh, please don't tell me that.

It's not the end of the world, if I recall it was a $260 dollar part and shop charged 1.5 hr for install.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the truck for a spin. Still sputtering under hard accel, but no check engine light. Going to install new plugs first, as I think that is the issue. Will report back.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Took the truck for a spin. Still sputtering under hard accel, but no check engine light. Going to install new plugs first, as I think that is the issue. Will report back.

You definitely need to pull the charge pipe loose from the intercooler and look for fluid buildup. if it’s there, you’ll just foul the new plugs when it get sucked up the intake.

That’s why we drill the hole... to expel the stuff as it accumulates.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just had the same thing happen. Sputtered crapped on accel a lot for a few days. Engine light was on, the whole thing. Scanner showed no codes. Finally new plugs and time to do it. Gapped down to .027”. Running great on hard pulls. 4th plugged showed a hairline crack in the ceramic and was blown out to like .036”

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You definitely need to pull the charge pipe loose from the intercooler and look for fluid buildup. if it’s there, you’ll just foul the new plugs when it get sucked up the intake.

That’s why we drill the hole... to expel the stuff as it accumulates.

Going to look at that next. Just not a big fan of drilling a hole in my intercooler. Never have had to do something like that on any of my other turbo cars.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put new plugs in her and running great. Seems to be running better that it ever has. Thanks for all the assistance guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was the same way, disregarded the idea until I saw what was in my intercooler

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
I don't blame you for not wanting to drill the hole. But even if I don't, it would be gnawing at me to at least check to verify it's dry in there.

The fact you never had to do that to any other vehicle doesn't account for the design of this one to allow liquid to collect in the bottom, but below the hose. So if it is collecting, it can be a healthy dose of nasty stuff suddenly introduced to your intake right about the time you have the turbos at FULL SPOOL.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't blame you for not wanting to drill the hole. But even if I don't, it would be gnawing at me to at least check to verify it's dry in there.

The fact you never had to do that to any other vehicle doesn't account for the design of this one to allow liquid to collect in the bottom, but below the hose. So if it is collecting, it can be a healthy dose of nasty stuff suddenly introduced to your intake right about the time you have the turbos at FULL SPOOL.

I hear ya. It just seems like a half ass way to fixing something. I just don't want all that oil sprayed all over the under side of my truck and leaking on my driveway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hear ya. It just seems like a half ass way to fixing something. I just don't want all that oil sprayed all over the under side of my truck and leaking on my driveway.

It doesn’t leak on my driveway... there is evidence on the air dam but not really the under carriage. If you find gunk inside, I recommend pulling the IC and cleaning it rather than drilling a hole to spray the full contents everywhere... once cleaned out if you drill the hole, the volume at any given time won’t be tremendous.

A catch can is another alternative. Won’t eliminate all condensate but should take majority of the oil out of the equation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts