F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
The turbine flow is based on pressure delta though, not just pure pressure. Lower pressure post turbine means you can have less pressure preturbine and still generate the power you need to turn the compressor. Less pressure preturbine means the engine is working less to push out the exhaust, and it means less exhaust is left in the cylinder which means more fresh air can come in behind it.
I absolutely agree on this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before I got my 2018 F150 I was in the import scene since 2002. My last vehicle was a 2013 Subaru WRX. From all the cars I had and modded with basic bolt on and exhaust I’ve always lost low end torque and gained high end performance adding a bigger diameter piping in the exhaust due to loss of back pressure. When you mod your vehicle you’ll always gain and lose some type of performance and have to figure out what you need to mod to gain back that torque or whatever that may be. These days you need to basically re-tune your vehicle with each mod you make and gets very expensive. You can’t just simply slap on a performance mod and expect what they tell you, sometimes the mod makes your vehicle run worse. With my F150 I haven’t done any performance mods, just lifted it. Usually performance mods is what I Do first, I actually like having a smooth quiet ride without being OCD or worried about finding the right tune or what I need to do next to remedy the lack of performance and how much more money I need to spend 🤪

Instagram: F150_3.55

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Before I got my 2018 F150 I was in the import scene since 2002. My last vehicle was a 2013 Subaru WRX. From all the cars I had and modded with basic bolt on and exhaust I’ve always lost low end torque and gained high end performance adding a bigger diameter piping in the exhaust due to loss of back pressure. When you mod your vehicle you’ll always gain and lose some type of performance and have to figure out what you need to mod to gain back that torque or whatever that may be. These days you need to basically re-tune your vehicle with each mod you make and gets very expensive. You can’t just simply slap on a performance mod and expect what they tell you, sometimes the mod makes your vehicle run worse. With my F150 I haven’t done any performance mods, just lifted it. Usually performance mods is what I Do first, I actually like having a smooth quiet ride without being OCD or worried about finding the right tune or what I need to do next to remedy the lack of performance and how much more money I need to spend

Instagram: F150_3.55
I could see that maybe on a WRX because those things didnt even spool until 3k. It was basically an NA motor before that lol.

When i was talking to Bren Tuning about removing my Invidia catback, they suggested i keep the mid-pipe specifically because I would lose low/mid range.

I find it hard to believe the ecoboost would have the same issue since it can make 15 psi at 1500 rpm if you want it too. Those turbos are always online.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I had my truck dyno'd (minor bolt-ons, including downpipes and exhaust). I ran on the dyno both tuned (for my mods) and with a stock tune (and the speed limiter removed).

I can tell you that I never lost any bottom end torque, even with the stock tune and only bolt-ons (I have the dyno results somewhere and I will try and find it, but both my TQ and HP with bolt-ons and stock tune were noticeably more than most guys who were bone stock). And I ran on a Mustang Dyno which typically rate your HP/TQ 5-10% lower than a DynoJet). But I definitely agree that tuning really was needed to make all the mods "come alive".

But even with just a stock tune (speed limiter turned off), I definitely gained both TQ and HP with minor bolt-ons.

Actually, the problem with these trucks, they make so much low-end TQ that fuel starvation at lower rpms (under 3,000 rpm) in WOT is a potential problem - even on a stock vehicle. The mechanical HPFP isn't turning enough rpms to keep up with the fuel demands at low-rpm. Guys are tuning to specifically lower the amount of TQ at lower rpms to avoid this problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You dont necessarily have to "lower" torque down low. Just don't go too much above stock.
We have the same issue, worse actually, on the mazdaspeed engines. The HPFP is the FIRST mod to be done as fuel starvation "could" happen with just an intake.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I miss my speed3. Great car and a blast to drive

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
You dont necessarily have to "lower" torque down low. Just don't go too much above stock.
We have the same issue, worse actually, on the mazdaspeed engines. The HPFP is the FIRST mod to be done as fuel starvation "could" happen with just an intake.
The other option (which I use), I always manually shift and keep the rpms above 3,000 rpms, especially before booting it. I have checked and verified (by locking my tranny in 3rd and booting it up a long hill) to monitor the actual vs commanded HP Fuel Pressure. Below 3,000 rpm, you are asking for trouble if you load the engine and build high boost. After 3,000 rpm, all is good. In WOT, each upshift, I never drop below 3,500 rpm (mostly around 4,000 rpm). Actual HP fuel pressure is very close to commanded then.

But, before I further mod my engine (I have GT turbos, CRP manifolds and a few other parts), I will be adding a bigger HPFP for safety reasons.

PS: I always liked the MazdaSpeed and wished I had bought one. I bought a Mazda 3 GT (2.3 non-turbo with 5 speed) when they first came out, and traded it for my truck back in 2013. Enjoyed the Mazda.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Man, your true red genjuan looks clean.

My MS6 was my daily. Built motor, slightly upsized turbo, etc etc. About 360whp on E20 when I ran out of injector (115% injDC). Back in Feb, I lost compression in cyl 4. So I bought a 2014 EB sCrew to take over daily duty while I gather parts for an improved rebuild (FoST intake w/port injection, ported head, custom W2A intercooler, maybe a PT5558 turbo, and I'll do cams later if that's still not enough).

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Large diameter high flow exhaust on a turbo does not hurt a thing. There is no scavenging or benefit from extra back pressure after the turbocharger. Plenty of racing experience to back this up.
Don't see the CAI as contributing either. But I did notice the mention of .035 spark plug gap, TCP2 and snakebitten also mentioned the gap. That may be too wide especially with EB engines. I use a tuned 2.7 and my tuner recommended a .028 gap and I'm using .026 myself on NGK 6510's. A massaged OEM CAI and 4 inch cat-back exhaust. Not claiming a performance increase from the intake exhaust mods, but certainly no loss. Plugs and tune did add though and it pulls very hard from below 2000 on up, but I do not tow with it so no comment that way. KM

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Picked up 2 mpg with the [email protected] fai. But not much else. Although they advertised great hp and tq gains😳
That’s great, happy for you. That said, if Ford could pick up 2 mpg by using a different air filter, don’t you think they’d be doing it? When fuel economy is at the forefront as the world looks on, it seems like it would be a no brainer. I guess what I’m saying is that unless your previous air filter were filled with mud I can’t see this happening.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Ford (and others) are desperately willing to increase fuel economy. So much so that they will design into the vehicle features that absolutely offer unrealized ROI to the consumer, yet add substantial co$t and complexity.

I swear I would PAY Ford to leave it off my purchase.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Yeah, like a variable pressure oil pump that no owner that realizes they have it would be happy about. ;)
Lol. You know me all too well.

And how about turning off the alternator, which requires a dedicated computer monitor procedure.

And the auto shut-off when the truck is at a red-light?

No telling what else is buried in the truck to save a nickel a tank full. Arggghhh :)

It's hilarious considering we buy $65k+ versions and then pump nothing but 93 at the pump.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hey gang, just wanted to update my own thread here and let everyone know that I have addressed the issue...

IMG_3863.JPG

Replacing the F-150 with a Dodge 1500. Just wasn't as in love with the F-150 as I had hoped to be, and the finicky nature of the EcoBoost just turned me off one too many times. My wife is absolutely enamored with the new truck, so it's clear it was the right decision for me (happy wife, happy life :eek: ). Thanks again for all of your help and feedback!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Hey gang, just wanted to update my own thread here and let everyone know that I have addressed the issue...

View attachment 159086

Replacing the F-150 with a Dodge 1500. Just wasn't as in love with the F-150 as I had hoped to be, and the finicky nature of the EcoBoost just turned me off one too many times. My wife is absolutely enamored with the new truck, so it's clear it was the right decision for me (happy wife, happy life :eek: ). Thanks again for all of your help and feedback!
Nice truck. The new rams are pretty solid. but wont the bottom end on the ram be worse than the ecoboost after the exhaust lol?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts