F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the kicker VSS system from another member here a few years ago and installed it myself with new kicker door speakers. While not at the level of a full blown custom system it’s light years better than stock and good enough for me. I would like to add an aftermarket head unit, possibly with navigation. Is this easy to do or will that not work with the kicker system? It’s 2014 supercrew.

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,977 Posts
Comnection to the system is the same but there might be some modules etc to keep the warnings, steering wheel controls, etc, depending on the stock system and trim level of your truck.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Ask on crutchfield.com

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually already tried that. They were unsure cuz they didn’t know enough about the VSS.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Seriously ? They sold it at one time ! Crutchfield has never failed me.
There should be no difference than installing any amp. The configs of these trucks are so varied and numerous, even within the same trim levels, within the same year models, it is difficult to say what you can get by with doing with or without certain modules and wiring harnesses. Try plugnplaykits.com Might have to call or email the guy cause he needs to know exactly what you have and do not have.

Reactions: Sirikenewtron

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jstav, I’ve seen that referenced in other threads but don’t know anything about it. Back in the 90’s , when I was in my 20’s, I could install an aftermarket system myself. Was very simple then. I haven’t kept up with the technology and have no understanding how it works now. I managed to install the VSS and door speakers with detailed instructions but I’m not confident I could the head unit and this maestro deal with all the programming that it appears to take to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Following...

I have a 2012 with the Kicker VSS and I have long wanted to upgrade the headunit to one with Apple CarPlay. Several years back when I called Kicker and asked if it would be possible, they said no. If I remember correctly, they said the Kicker amp would not receive a remote turn on signal from an aftermarket unit. I think it is worth experimenting with.... there has to be a way to make it work, but may require a more intimate knowledge of how the Kicker system is receiving that signal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd have to do research, we could figure it out, but I don't have a VSS system in my build. IFor mine, I just used the radio dash kit, the maestro module, and the new head unit, which had the connections for everything. I think a new head unit would also have a remote turn on output signal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is the response from Kicker Tech Service today:

"The amplifier uses a carrier signal on the speaker leads coming out of the radio to turn on. Once that carrier signal is removed aka removing the factory radio the system will not turn on."

·
Registered
8 Posts
And further digging got me this response from Kicker:

"It uses dc offset to turn on and off with the factory radio. Aftermarket radios do not pass dc offset on their speaker outputs."

I'm not an electronics guy, so I need help understanding what that really means. Does this even sound like something that could be emulated easily in this application?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is a document from Kicker explaining DC Offset. Since the Powerstage (and Substage) VSS systems only use DC offset, I guess someone would have to do some experimenting and see if there is a way to use a switched 12v signal to trick the amp to turn on. Any aftermarket head unit will have a blue/white wire for remote-on which should provide this switched 12v signal.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What if you just upgrade to OEM touch screen?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts