F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having the Rancho Loaded Quick Lift Leveling kit installed tomorrow. I have a FX4 with the HID headlights. I figure I will need to re-aim the headlights after the installation. Has anyone had to do this? How tough is it to get to the adjustment settings on the truck?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very simple in your owners manual it will show you there location of the adjustment screws which are center of the headlight use a flashlight to see them and use a large philips screw driver park on a flat surface facing a wall mark the height you want and start turning slowly you will see the light start to move. Just make sure you turn in the correct location. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quick recommendation- I marked the headlights on a wall and the palcement of the vehicle so when I did my new headlights and level kit on the truck all I had to do was roll up to the spot I marked the vehicle sitting and adjust the lights to the marked location on the wall. It saved me time from measuring and test drives down the road getting things right.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I took it in to the shop this morning I had already done just that. Marked my distance on the driveway, turned on the headlights and marked the height on the garage door with tape as a reference point.

I got home with the truck a short while ago, pulled up the that marked spot on the driveway turned on my lights and they are right at
2" higher than they were. So I guess my 2" lift is about right. I'll tackle the headlight aiming later this evening.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little darkness, pop the hood, slip in a #2 Phillips screwdriver and a few quick turns and all is well once again in the land of the Ecoboost F150

·
Registered
26 Posts
Preciate the post. Didn't see how the phillips would work until I saw the fly wheel along the back wall. Right for down, left for up.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Not to bring back from the dead but, at what distance should I aim these from the garage doors? I installed new heads and forgot to do this step lol. How high at say 25' should the beams be?

I can use the nice flat parking lot across the street and use their building as my reference and measure from the ground up the wall and put two pieces of tape horizontally to mark the proper height.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Vertical aim adjustment
1. Park the vehicle directly in front of a wall or screen on a level surface,
approximately 25 feet (7.6 meters) away.
• (1) 8 feet (2.4 meters)
• (2) Center height of lamp to
ground
• (3) 25 feet (7.6 meters)
• (4) Horizontal reference line
2. Measure the height from the
center of your headlamp (indicated
by a 3.0 mm circle on the lens) to
the ground and mark an 8 foot
(2.4 meter) horizontal reference line
on the vertical wall or screen at this height (a piece of masking tape
works well).
3. Turn on the low beam headlamps to illuminate the wall or screen and
open the hood. Cover one of the headlamps so no light hits the wall.
4. On the wall or screen you will
observe a light pattern with a
distinct horizontal edge towards the
right. If this edge is not at the
horizontal reference line, the beam will need to be adjusted so the edge
is at the same height as the horizontal reference line.
5. Locate the vertical adjuster on
each headlamp, then use a #2
Philips screwdriver to turn the
adjuster either counterclockwise (to
adjust up) or clockwise (to adjust
down) aligning the upper edge of
the light pattern up to the
horizontal line.
6. HORIZONTAL AIM IS NOT
REQUIRED FOR THIS VEHICLE
AND IS NON-ADJUSTABLE.
7. Repeat Steps 3–5 for the other headlamp.
8. Close the hood and turn off the lamps.

FOUND IT!

·
Registered
601 Posts
OK. I've a question that someone might be able to answer. I bought used OEM HID headlights from a guy but he had a 2" leveling kit. So my lights point a little downward. Does anyone who put in a leveling kit and adjusted their headlights know how many turns it took? I figure if someone says 2 full turns I can go backwards and not have to go through the steps. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I get where you're coming from but I don't think there's anyway you could accurately do that without actually aiming them. There's just too many variables.

- Stage3-UPR-LET racing league winner!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
OK. I've a question that someone might be able to answer. I bought used OEM HID headlights from a guy but he had a 2" leveling kit. So my lights point a little downward. Does anyone who put in a leveling kit and adjusted their headlights know how many turns it took? I figure if someone says 2 full turns I can go backwards and not have to go through the steps. Thanks.
If you don't feel like doing the whole wall thing, do two turns, take a ride. If it's not high enough go two more turns.

I had to use this method last year on my way to dega after installing my level. It's not ideal, but it works in a jam.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great thread will be having mine leveled 2" tomorrow and I have marked the garage door @25ft. Will report back when done, I'm sure it will go smooth. Someone here wanted to know how many turns is required, I will keep count......

·
Registered
43 Posts
Done

Took 5 minutes to reaim my headlights. Noticed yesterday that one was higher than the other, maybe why people flash me thinking my brights were on. Adjusted both to the lower level. I forgot to count the number of turns needed. I would not go by my truck.....

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I find that what looks like the best position for low isn't always the best. I get flashed and when I put high beams on they are to high to do any good.
So I adjust low then go out and test using high beams. Repeat as needed. I've had lows set to what I thought was great only to get beamed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
outlaw25
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing