F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Administrator
9,611 Posts
The oil really doesn't have much time to 'drain down' I'd think. I don't think this technology is for me.
Living down here on the surface of the sun, I need the damned AC going non-stop.
I'm catching up on the thread, but if AC is on max settings then it won't shut off. As well as full defrost. Trailer plugged in. And a tuner can turn it off.

I hear the fella about it shutting down at a stop sign right about the time you wanna take off if it's a quick stop. I mitigate this by using brake pressure that's light enough not to shut it down. When I'm driving country back roads that I know, however, with lots of stopsigns, I do turn it off.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
For 2018 model year, all five power trains, even the upcoming base 3.3L V6 NA dual injection with the 6 speed will get auto start/stop. I like it in theory but find F150's version of this technology somewhat annoying. My wife drives a 2007 Saturn Aura Green Line Hybrid that is not a real hybrid, as it has no electric motor. It does have auto start/stop, but on a 36 volt electrical system. After nine and a half years, no hiccups with the Aura, and the same nickel cadmium batteries that run the system are still going strong. It shuts off immediately every time unless the regular a.c. is on, as it has two a.c. choices. One called Hybrid A.C. A small generator restarts super quickly; no delay; no loss in power steering; and no engine cranking, which are all quirks with the F150 auto start/stop. The only area where the new F150 out shines the Aura is what happens when the engine shuts off and then you place it in park. Ford's system is smart enough to not restart the truck. The Aura restarts, and then one must shut it back down, but the Aura is much more seamless and much more consistent in its operation overall and at least twice as quick both shutting off and restarting. I think the option for it back then was $800. It was worth it even though we don't sit in traffic very often. F150 is okay, but inconsistent. The light brake pressure method doesn't always override it, but it works sometimes. In the Aura, it doesn't matter if it shuts off in a stop and go situation, because it is so super quick, you don't even worry about it, but when you stop and go in the F150 and hear the engine cranking and can't turn the wheel for about half a second, that's annoying. It's annoying that both systems shorten battery life by leaving lights on with the engine off. There should be at least dimming or parking lights only when the engine is shut down and during the day, the running lights should go out until it restarts.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
[Judge] "Sir, this is the fifth time you've come before me for running a red light? I've suspended your license, and yet you continue to refuse to stop!"

[2017 F150 owner] "Your honor, this auto start/stop thingy is to blame. When I come to a stop, my truck shuts off, and it takes me an extra 500 milliseconds to get going again. How the heck am I going to get into the left lane and drive 90 mph, when my damn truck keeps slowing me down?"

·
Registered
127 Posts
According to the owner's manual, there is a long list conditions that will keep the engine from shutting off at a stop. I can recall a few: Disabled via the button or menu from steering wheel. Battery in a low charge state; too low or high of an air temperature; sitting at a steep grade (down or up); tow-haul mode engaged; A.C on; defrost on; front wheels turned; etc., etc.

The main thing I don't like about Ford's F150 Auto Start/Stop is its inconsistency. It often shuts down when it would have been best if it didn't, i.e. stop and go, and it often keeps running when it would be nice to have it. Often the software gets it wrong when I can think of nothing that should be going on from the above list. I've driven twenty straight miles in a rural area on a state highway leaving work with absolutely no accessories on except the vent fan on the lowest setting (one bar), and the running lights, in mild weather and come to a red light. Give a firm press on the brake pedal; turn off my running lights, and it'll keep running. Sometimes, just before I'm ready to pull forward, after 20 seconds or more sitting idle, it'll shut off; no change in brake pressure; no other changes. Other times, I'll come to an obvious stop and go situation and try to give it very light brake pedal pressure in order that I don't have to reach across to turn it off; it'll shut down anyway. Then I hear the starter turning the engine over and feel the power steering powering back up as I start to make a 90 degree turn. It can be a little annoying and unpredictable, but in no way is it a deal breaker or make the truck a bad choice. The rolling stop method always works, but is slightly illegal in some situations.

I've driven a car that's from 2007 that's much better, but it does have a more elaborate and expensive system via extra batteries and a generator, so of course it makes sense that it's better.

In the future, mild hybrids will likely become standard. Where ICE-powered vehicles will have 36 to 48 volt electrical systems running them. They'll all be start/stop. It'll add cost, but still cheaper and less complex than a diesel with its thousands of $$$ in exhaust treatment; or a full hybrid that actually has electric motors working in parallel with a gas engine and drive train.

·
Administrator
9,611 Posts
One of the mileage screens will state why it doesn't activate when it doesn't.

Those of us using Tapatalk can't see your signature.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think that the menu screen states only the status; only whether it's active or not; basically a worthless screen, since the illumination or non illumination of the override button tells one the same thing w/o having to push through menus to see the status. I don't know what to do about my signature. Do I need to.

·
Administrator
9,611 Posts
It will state engine on due to battery charging, USB device, etc. It tell you more than just on/off.

Those of us using Tapatalk can't see your(y'all's) signatures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, I have a 2017 3.5 ecoboost. Those of you who are concerned about the auto start/stop, if you disable in under advanced settings on the gauge cluster it will stay off after the vehicle is exited. It also does not leave the disabled light on the dash or above the radio where the button is located.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Really? I have the 2017 Limited and there is clearly a button on the top-middle of the dash that disables the auto-start-stop. Its also very clearly discussed in the manual.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's on mine too, but that's just to disable until the next time the truck is started. Camaross82 is saying there is and option to permenately disable this feature.

·
Administrator
9,611 Posts
Not there on my '16 either. They must have heard all the whining.

·
Administrator
9,611 Posts
I don't mind it. But I can cut it off if need to.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts