F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass this info along as some may be experiencing perceived weak batteries or just want to do the occasional checkup before a long road trip and bam you find the alternator is not charging, don't worry just yet here is why....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Let's say my battery is three years old or older and I have to change it because it's bad. Does this mean my charging system won't work properly with out the dealer re setting the battery age? Great info by the way. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's say my battery is three years old or older and I have to change it because it's bad. Does this mean my charging system won't work properly with out the dealer re setting the battery age? Great info by the way. Thanks!!!
The battery will still work properly as will he charging system just not optimally though as some of the data is skewed see here-

If the vehicle battery is replaced, carry out the Battery Monitoring System Reset using the scan tool. If the Battery Monitoring System Reset is not carried out, measurement data collected for the old battery is not deleted and future state of charge measurements will be inaccurate. For example, if an old battery has a state of charge of 60% and the new battery has a state of charge of 90%, the BCM will recognize battery state of charge being 30% lower than it actually is. With the battery state of charge being perceived lower than it actually is causes shedding of loads earlier than is necessary. This also impacts the smart regenerative charge system by causing the battery to be maintained at a higher state of charge than perceived by the BCM, reducing fuel economy benefits.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the info. Kinda cool that not only is SOC monitored as always but now the health of the battery is determined by charge back current.
Good to have solid real world knowledge of the system. Thank you!!!!

·
Banned
103 Posts
With many newer cars the battery has 2 charging rates/times. To conserve fuel the system first, primarly, tries to rely on speed coastdown periods ("FREE" regenerative energy) to top off the battery charge. When there is not enough coastdown time to keep the battery charge above a specific level the standard battery charge system is kicks in.

Does anyone know if Ford uses this technique widely ? In the F150EcoBoost?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
With many newer cars the battery has 2 charging rates/times. To conserve fuel the system first, primarly, tries to rely on speed coastdown periods ("FREE" regenerative energy) to top off the battery charge. When there is not enough coastdown time to keep the battery charge above a specific level the standard battery charge system is kicks in.

?? a non catch can bash post?

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have no knowledge of Fords using this at all and the engine is still using fuel upon coast down unless the truck has the aggressive decal fuel off feature.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
So, does what you are saying mean that whenever we need to replace a battery in these trucks we need to go to the dealer and have them rest it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, does what you are saying mean that whenever we need to replace a battery in these trucks we need to go to the dealer and have them rest it?
Yes for the most accurate charging and load shedding.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yes for the most accurate charging and load shedding.
And I'll bet it isn't free. Just like banks, these auto makers are constantly finding ways to make you bring your vehicle in for billable work.
They wonder why people do their own work and only visit the dealer for warranty work. Even oil changes take over an hour out of your day, not including the commute.
Of course you can't bash American made for that cause BMW had been doing it for years. Dealer has to reset the oil change warning.
Thank you for the information.

·
Banned
242 Posts
I just went through this... Definitely need the battery monitor reset at the dealer when you get a new battery. This feature of cutting out the alternator is worth pretty good mpg... 4mpg in my case!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Glad to learn of this, but HIGHLY disappointed in Ford throwing in another way for dealerships to make a dime (or several hundred dimes) off the consumers...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Glad to learn of this, but HIGHLY disappointed in Ford throwing in another way for dealerships to make a dime (or several hundred dimes) off the consumers...
I don't think they had malicious intent, the way I see it they are improving on technology to save us money on gas and batteries by maximizing the charging system's efficiency.

Just too bad it makes it more difficult for the consumer to perform basic maintenance.

Like I said in another thread, would be really nice to have the ability to reset these systems similar to how we reset our oil life monitor.

Reactions: Mike Wood

·
Registered
903 Posts
I don't think they had malicious intent, the way I see it they are improving on technology to save us money on gas and batteries by maximizing the charging system's efficiency.

Just too bad it makes it more difficult for the consumer to perform basic maintenance.

Like I said in another thread, would be really nice to have the ability to reset these systems similar to how we reset our oil life monitor.
I concur. There were many interesting features "hidden" on my '06 Ram 2500 w/5.9 Cummins that only the dealer could enable via their STARSCAN (or whatever it was called) tool.

So if we didn't take it to the dealer after replacing the battery and didn't notice a drop in MPGs, would we be in a way prematurely shortening the life of our brand new battery due to it not being charged "correctly" as determined via the electrical ssystem?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I concur. There were many interesting features "hidden" on my '06 Ram 2500 w/5.9 Cummins that only the dealer could enable via their STARSCAN (or whatever it was called) tool.

So if we didn't take it to the dealer after replacing the battery and didn't notice a drop in MPGs, would we be in a way prematurely shortening the life of our brand new battery due to it not being charged "correctly" as determined via the electrical ssystem?
Possibly, I was reading another thread from some ford escape forum last night, people were reporting some functionality issues after replacing batteries like AC not working, windows not rolling down, they were solved following a trip to the dealer.

On post described the dealer's unwillingness to perform the reset because the owner had installed a non OEM battery himself, eventually they caved but charged him for a full hour of labor.

Reactions: Mike Wood
1 - 20 of 28 Posts