F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, I traded my 2012 Fx2 5.0 for a 2014 FX4 ecoboost with max tow because I tow a boat hundreds of miles a month and because I think the idea of twin turbos is freaking awesome! I read some negative banter on the internet and I heard about the lawsuit. But I also know that when you are the best at what you do....there are always the people trying to bring you down. I spoke to several ford mechanics and they said the moisture issue was mainly 2011 and 2012 trucks but it was pretty rare. I live in South GA and I personally know 9 farmers that went from diesel trucks to an ecoboost and they LOVE their trucks and have had zero issues. These guys are hauling fully loaded peanut wagons out of the field and really working these trucks to death. Nobody locally has had an issue. So....before I pulled the trigger I did a little deeper digging. Did you know that out of the hundreds of thousands of f150's with ecoboost motors that only 473 had confirmed issues? That is pretty dang good!

I know I will get slammed for that, but the truth is the truth. There is not a motor out there that hasn't experienced issues. The benefits of the ecoboost outweigh the small chance that I might have an issue. But if I was worried about those chances....my iPhone might fail before I can post this. Ha! These trucks are amazing and I am impressed so far. By the way, one of my farming buddies has 65k actual miles showing on his 2011 and it works harder than any truck I have ever seen.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I love my Ecoboost. Our dealership has seen 1 failed ecoboost engine, as far as I know anyways, and have seen more 5.0Ls than the ecoboost. Don't care what anyone says these engines are tough.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I love my Ecoboost. Our dealership has seen 1 failed ecoboost engine, as far as I know anyways, and have seen more 5.0Ls than the ecoboost. Don't care what anyone says these engines are tough.
edit: btw welcome to the forums lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I traded my 2012 Fx2 5.0 for a 2014 FX4 ecoboost with max tow because I tow a boat hundreds of miles a month and because I think the idea of twin turbos is freaking awesome! I read some negative banter on the internet and I heard about the lawsuit. But I also know that when you are the best at what you do....there are always the people trying to bring you down. I spoke to several ford mechanics and they said the moisture issue was mainly 2011 and 2012 trucks but it was pretty rare. I live in South GA and I personally know 9 farmers that went from diesel trucks to an ecoboost and they LOVE their trucks and have had zero issues. These guys are hauling fully loaded peanut wagons out of the field and really working these trucks to death. Nobody locally has had an issue. So....before I pulled the trigger I did a little deeper digging. Did you know that out of the hundreds of thousands of f150's with ecoboost motors that only 473 had confirmed issues? That is pretty dang good! I know I will get slammed for that, but the truth is the truth. There is not a motor out there that hasn't experienced issues. The benefits of the ecoboost outweigh the small chance that I might have an issue. But if I was worried about those chances....my iPhone might fail before I can post this. Ha! These trucks are amazing and I am impressed so far. By the way, one of my farming buddies has 65k actual miles showing on his 2011 and it works harder than any truck I have ever seen.
Congrats on the new truck! I hope it continues to treat you well. I wonder where that 473 number came from? I know 6 guys in NW ga that have/had eco's. 4 of the 6 of us had the issue. All 4 of us that have/had the issue all drive a lot. Like a range between 2500-5000 miles a month. All tow a lot. Two us had blown engines while towing, completely stock. All 6 trucks were bought at the same dealer. Ironically, we were each the first to ever experience the limp mode issue according to the dealer. ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 473 is a number an attorney buddy was telling me about. I can't back it up with a reference.....attorneys always tell the truth, right? :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
The 473 is a number an attorney buddy was telling me about. I can't back it up with a reference.....attorneys always tell the truth, right? :)
I hear ya. The guys I know that haven't had the issues all pulled their plugs to regap them and got tunes early on. If I ever buy another one that's what I will do too

·
Registered
22 Posts
With forged internals, the ecoboost is above average at the start. It's a good engine. I know this will be called Ford propaganda but it is worth watching:

·
Registered
374 Posts
My advice to anybody with one would be... If you ever have the limp mode issue, stop. Do NOT drive it. I made the mistake of listening to the dealer and customer care when they told me to just stop on the side of the road to reset it. It got so bad with mine that toward the end I'd have to disconnect to negative post to just get the truck to restart, then it'd run real rough for the next few miles. Turns out, those internals were being damaged. Scuffed pistons, bent rods etc

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
The F150 ecoboost is an amazing engine, and the truck as a whole is awesome as well. If you have any concerns, install the RRX system from the start and avoid them all. We have another Ford dealer in the south doing testing of the system as well starting this week.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The F150 ecoboost is an amazing engine, and the truck as a whole is awesome as well. If you have any concerns, install the RRX system from the start and avoid them all. We have another Ford dealer in the south doing testing of the system as well starting this week.
I believe that. A good tune and a can should really help prevent most the issues. Other than regapping the plugs

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Plug regap is a must! Good you mentioned that. The first thing to do is a regap.

No reason these should not go several hundred thousand miles as the engine design is sound and very advanced. Just the few issues to correct early on.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
What's the RRX system?

KCCO!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would be willing to bet the 473 is closer to the number of engine failures rather than the number affected by the known moisture issues and so forth. I know my failed motor was the 4th that my dealer has replaced and they have had a few over 60 with the moisture issue reported. That being said the ecoboost isn't even remotely the only engine with problems or failures, and the 5.0 coyote has been throwing rods a few share as well. I love the ecoboost and would'nt care if this was my 3rd engine, I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the road.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why all this praise for ecoboost in the problems section, just rubbing it in to the folks with messed up ecoboost engines. I'm happy for everyone that has one that runs fine, mine is a pile of garbage with intermittent no turbos for the last 3+ months, if your turbos ever stop working your truck will be as useless as mine. Forget about towing anything or using it for anything a truck can do.

Reactions: ford4thot

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't mean to kill the thread guys, come on, I was half joking when I posted it. I have my flame suit on, you wont hurt my feelings, let me have it.

Reactions: ford4thot
1 - 20 of 25 Posts