F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a couple passes this afternoon before the tubes were install, installed tubes and made a couple for passes.

Truck does seem to spool quicker, turbo sound has increased (factory silencer rings had already been pulled), but can’t say I feel a huge difference yet.

Not 100% sure I’m logging all the correct stuff but boost and airflow didn’t really change. Less than a pound/min, if that...

Dragy gets delivered monday, maybe I should have waited to get corresponding times...

Mods are:
BCB e50 tune (fifth rev)
170 stat
Factory resonator/2.5” pipe removed for 3”
New 534 plugs gapped to 25

·
Registered
292 Posts
Made a couple passes this afternoon before the tubes were install, installed tubes and made a couple for passes.

Truck does seem to spool quicker, turbo sound has increased (factory silencer rings had already been pulled), but can’t say I feel a huge difference yet.

Not 100% sure I’m logging all the correct stuff but boost and airflow didn’t really change. Less than a pound/min, if that...

Dragy gets delivered monday, maybe I should have waited to get corresponding times...

Mods are:
BCB e50 tune (fifth rev)
170 stat
Factory resonator/2.5” pipe removed for 3”
New 534 plugs gapped to 25
This is a mod that needs to be tuned for. The increase the available airflow from the turbos, however if the truck isn't asking for any more airflow your power gain will be almost nothing. Reach out to Casey tell him what you have and ask him to revise your tune.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Post up what you see after a revision.

I hope to make a set work on my Gen 1 and will log airflow, WGDC and boost before and after Install and then again after a revision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Post up what you see after a revision.

I hope to make a set work on my Gen 1 and will log airflow, WGDC and boost before and after Install and then again after a revision.

What would be interesting is to see the same tune, IE once you get the revision for the AMS tubes, run it with the stock tubes. One log with the tune maxing out the stock pipes and a second with the AMS tubes and see the airflow diff. This is what my BCB tune would do since it hits 100% WGDC at like 4200 rpm and just stops flowing.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t think I logged WGDC yet, but I will... curious to see if it’s maxed out, I’m only seeing about high 13s to lower 14s on timing with e50 so it might be a fairly conservative tune

·
Registered
292 Posts
What would be interesting is to see the same tune, IE once you get the revision for the AMS tubes, run it with the stock tubes. One log with the tune maxing out the stock pipes and a second with the AMS tubes and see the airflow diff. This is what my BCB tune would do since it hits 100% WGDC at like 4200 rpm and just stops flowing.
you can't just do that, if you hit 100% duty cycle at the top of rpm band your turbos will be over speed not to mention that's way too much power on the 2018 plus (for reference on the trucks that are running 11.50s we are only around 70% duty cycle).

I've already done the comparisons on the 17s with a raptor.
Stock inlet tubes the point at which the turbos went over speed and stopped making power was 54 lbm/min this was a 13.0x 1/4mile time.
The AMS inlet pipes I was able to get to 58 lbm/min, this amounted to a 12.60 ¼ mile time and brought the 2017 turbos up to where the 2018’s go stock.
2018 plus it’s a little harder to get a good comparison, stock tubes they flow 60 lbm/min with no issues. With the tubes they flow more like 65, but then again 60 lbm/min is really a good stopping point. So it’s less important. I will say on e50 and 93 octane the efficiency gain is really nice. Even though you are at the same flow rate the shaft speed is much less which means less heat which means a more sustainable timing curve.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I'll get data both ways if I can get these things to fit. It will be a while though, as I have to find a Gen 2 intake/airbox.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
you can't just do that, if you hit 100% duty cycle at the top of rpm band your turbos will be over speed not to mention that's way too much power on the 2018 plus (for reference on the trucks that are running 11.50s we are only around 70% duty cycle).

Stock inlet tubes the point at which the turbos went over speed and stopped making power was 54 lbm/min this was a 13.0x 1/4mile time.
The AMS inlet pipes I was able to get to 58 lbm/min, this amounted to a 12.60 ¼ mile time and brought the 2017 turbos up to where the 2018’s go stock.
2018 plus it’s a little harder to get a good comparison, stock tubes they flow 60 lbm/min with no issues. With the tubes they flow more like 65, but then again 60 lbm/min is really a good stopping point. So it’s less important. I will say on e50 and 93 octane the efficiency gain is really nice. Even though you are at the same flow rate the shaft speed is much less which means less heat which means a more sustainable timing curve.

Not if you are at elevation like me. I am running out of turbo at 38 lb/min which is why i am so interested in these. HPTuners was telling me the turbos were just shy of 220k which I believe is the safe maximum for the 13-16 turbos? I believe Blown is pretty high up as well but maybe still has too much turbo, idk.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Not if you are at elevation like me. I am running out of turbo at 38 lb/min which is why i am so interested in these. HPTuners was telling me the turbos were just shy of 220k which I believe is the safe maximum for the 13-16 turbos? I believe Blown is pretty high up as well but maybe still has too much turbo, idk.
We don’t want to run mine past 80% WGDC, to keep from over spooling the turbos. Should be roughly 18-18.5 PSI on the top end. I notice that my wastegates really ramp up percentage quick as it Revs. It’s cooler out now, so my airflow will be higher than the summer, but we are seeing 54-55#/min max at 6000rpm and have a wee bit more boost to go. But I’m not as high as you elevation wise, my testing occurs at 4000ft.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Is there a difference between the stock 17 and 18+ turbo inlet tubes besides the sound muffler looking can on the passenger side tube? The reason I ask is is because I have a 17 3.5 and I put a 18+ passenger side OEM turbo inlet tube on mainly for a cleaner look under the hood. Is my passenger side turbo getting better air flow than the driver side? Just not sure if the driver side turbo inlet tube is also different on the 18+ trucks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is there a difference between the stock 17 and 18+ turbo inlet tubes besides the sound muffler looking can on the passenger side tube? The reason I ask is is because I have a 17 3.5 and I put a 18+ passenger side OEM turbo inlet tube on mainly for a cleaner look under the hood. Is my passenger side turbo getting better air flow than the driver side? Just not sure if the driver side turbo inlet tube is also different on the 18+ trucks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Not 100% sure to honest with you. They are different part numbers but I'm not sure if they are significantly different.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Got the new revision in. Air flow is the same as before the revision (and before the tubes). Timing is at about 14 for most of the run. DA is good, not like a few days ago but still...
What peak airflow are you at right now and at what rpm?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts