F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ended up being long but you can skip the story and see pics of a 140k mile 3.5 ecoboost from inside the cylinders, tops of pistons and a couple not so great quality pictures of valves from inside the cylinder. Check the 2nd post later. Oh, and spark plugs that had 70k miles

I changed my spark plugs last night and it was horrible. Got home in time to change the plugs I have been putting off for like 3 weeks. Excited because I have a fancy new borescope and can check the cylinders to see if adding like 200hp is bad for an engine with 140k miles.....

2nd cylinder, I see what I think is a peice of a piston ring, im an amateur, I don't actually have a clue about any of this but I have a borescope and custom tunes, I could get a job at a dealership tomorrow. Lol.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Fish

After being pissed for a sec, did the rest of the plugs, and checked cylinders cause if another is worse theres no point in being pissed off about this. All good, 5/6, still a failing grade, im still mad

I'll add pics of cylinders and spark plugs in the next post when I get back to my computer, its a pain on the phone.

Spend 1.5 hours with magnets, a shop vac with 12 home made extensions using everything from silicone drinking straws, fence wire, to carbon express piledriver arrows.....chunks of metal still on the edge of the piston.

Water Fluid Gas Liquid Auto part

Sent pic to dad and service manager. Both tell me they think it's carbon.

Well I guess the engine needs to come apart either way, might as well crank it and see if it blows out......

Runs great, I logged it from before crank to maybe log an engine catastrophic failure because I am the idiot that had to get bigger turbos.

Pull coil and plug again, put the camera in, nothing there, not a spec of anything. Looks great, ran great all day.

My service manager and shop foreman told me they have to confiscate my camera because it is going to make me tear down a perfectly good engine...I think my truck just has 9 lives....now I'm scared to log another 0-60 time:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could it be possible that what you saw could have fallen in there pulling your plugs because of crud in the spark plug hole? If that made any sense. After pulling coil you could blow compressed air in there before pulling plug.
I think what you just said would have been the right call. There was some junk in there and it is possible that's where it came from.

I dont know why exactly but my service manager, who is a Chevy guy and builds motorcycles, so same but different, told me to not blow air in there because it could get "through the rings". I didnt get it, but I took his advice.

And I am talking about into the cylinder, not in the track to the spark plug before you pull it.....what do you call that? The coil hole? Lol, hope not

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I didn’t mean for it to sound like blowing in the spark plug hole without the plug. But he’s right. Compressed air in the cylinder could lodge the particles on the ring then scoring the cylinder wall.

·
Moderstrator
1,528 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn’t mean for it to sound like blowing in the spark plug hole without the plug. But he’s right. Compressed air in the cylinder could lodge the particles on the ring then scoring the cylinder wall.
That's exactly what I was hoping for, an explanation why he would have told me that. Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like carbon to me. That said, the cylinder wall has more scuffing than I'd like to see.
I said the same, they think it's a non issue and very light. I haven't decided if I am going to live my life in denial or act like the world is ending but both pretty much have the same result. I just need to make it to where I can afford a rebuild if I have to.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Plugs look great !

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,387 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts