F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Moderstrator
4,344 Posts
The cross-hatching on most of those pics look pretty good for an engine with that many miles, It's just that one pic that looked excessive to me.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Is there a support group for this kind of thing?
Yes its called F150Ecoboost.net

Hello, my name is mass-hole, and I am an Ecobooster. Its been about 8 years since I started and i have changed manifolds twice and just threw a rod through the side of my block.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Doesn't look like carbon to me. The metal on the edges looks fatigued.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Doesn't look like carbon to me. The metal on the edges looks fatigued.
yeah I have been back and forth and I have quite a few more pictures than I posted that I have been looking over on my big screen at work. most of the edges look like crisp, hard edges, the ones that I initially thought were almost chewed up looking tend to only be right around where there are obvious deposits on the face of the pistons, so I am doing my best to convince myself that is it just carbon build up. I definitely see the same thing that you are. i also worry that metal has been through the cylinders because the some of the valves look like they have taken some dings around them. the truck continues to run great and all I can do is keep an eye on it. if it does develop an issue I hope the pictures serve as guide on what to look for and hopefully how to prevent it on someone else's truck. if I go another 100k miles then I guess we will learn that what we are seeing in these pics should not concern anyone.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Well you can drive it conservatively for the next 100K, or put it on the juice and hope for the best. If you lose the motor completely, latest figures are 12-15K to have it replaced. It's important to note however that just because you may choose to drive it conservatively doesn't mean it won't blow on you. It may be less likely to blow, but it's always a risk with these motors.

I say treat it right, change your oil and drive it. In the meantime start a savings for the inevitable motor swap or replacement car/truck. Nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well you can drive it conservatively for the next 100K, or put it on the juice and hope for the best. If you lose the motor completely, latest figures are 12-15K to have it replaced. It's important to note however that just because you may choose to drive it conservatively doesn't mean it won't blow on you. It may be less likely to blow, but it's always a risk with these motors.

I say treat it right, change your oil and drive it. In the meantime start a savings for the inevitable motor swap or replacement car/truck. Nothing lasts forever.
I just need to make it about 3 months till it's not my daily driver then if something were to happen to it at least i could take my time and do more of the work myself instead of having to do it immediately just to have a vehicle. Then I can treat it as a hobby instead of a necessity. This was definitely a reality check for me

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
519 Posts
It looks good to me and I’ve tore down more then my fair share of engines. Good crosshatch, no deep vertical scoring, nothing alarming to me. Should be a runner for a long time. Valves are impossible to tell in head because you need to look at the angles and how far they are worn into the cylinder head. Run er.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts