F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Screw Cab
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at 148,500 miles ol girl has started to leak. Brought her into the Ford quicklane for an oil change and while it was back in the shop and they were actually doing their “multi point” inspection they noticed a few... yes a few leaks. They brought me out to the shop to show me what they found. Starting with the vacuum pump it was leaking pretty noticeably as you could actually see some burnt oil on top of the passenger side turbo and dripping down from there as well as the build up all around the vacuum pump itself. This one, I believe, actually solves the burnt oil/exhaust smell the wife smelled on our trip home a couple weeks ago from MS to NC. The second leak was the water pump which had some white streaks underneath it which showed signs of coolant. The third leak while on that side looking up from underneath it (truck was on a rack) you could see some oil build up around the front engine cover toward the top. Without cleaning it up the mechanic said he couldn’t tell where it was coming from. Eventually he lowered my truck back down to show me a top view of the leak which was definitely noticeable. As far as that one goes I think it may not be a leak from the truck but a leak from the hose of my old UPR catch can before I removed it. So that spot/area could just have been where it was dripping and building up. The fourth leak was the driver side turbo seal between the compressor housing and turbine housing. It looked like there was just a slight amount of oil around it but it was definitely there. Truck is still at the shop now. I have an extended warranty on the truck but they have to come inspect the truck and back check the mechanic before they can approve the repairs. Currently the main repairs they are focused on are the vacuum pump and water pump because they can tell for sure they are leaking. They are going to further inspect the two other leaks to find out exactly what is going on while they have it.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Will the extended warranty pay for GT turbos? That's the most important question.

Where was the oil leak on the turbo. could you see it externally or were you looking inside the compressor housing and saw pooled oil?

·
Registered
651 Posts
So how many days do you have to wait for the insurance inspection?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Will the extended warranty pay for GT turbos? That's the most important question.

Where was the oil leak on the turbo. could you see it externally or were you looking inside the compressor housing and saw pooled oil?
As someone who works on the shop side of the field, i can assure you they will not. They cut Technician hours to boot. All of them. Bunch of crooks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha I wish they would pay for bigger turbos and CRP manifolds but that is highly doubtful.
So update:
Dropped truck off Tuesday morning at 8:00am. Inspector came Wednesday afternoon to verify repairs. They are going to cover the cost of parts and labor for the vacuum and water pump. I will be left paying my $150 deductible + taxes. The warranty company at this time will not cover any other repairs until the shop can pinpoint what exactly is leaking which they can’t do until they clean it up and dye test it. Warranty company also won’t pay for diagnostics so I also have to pay the shop $105 diagnostic fee to find out if the turbo is indeed leaking and where the oil build up on the front engine cover may be coming from. Expecting a call from the shop today on the diagnostic results. They called me yesterday evening to give me an update and to let me know the vacuum pump and water pump work was complete and for approval to do the diagnostic test.

Reactions: Lisa_B

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

There were signs of oil on the outside of the turbo between the compressor and turbine housings. I think they just spilled some oil there when they were re filling after changing the oil but we will see. I say that because the oil was clean (still transparent).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are now saying the valve cover gasket is leaking. How hard is it to change?

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
2,317 Posts
A mechanic at a stealership told my Son the 3.5 eco gen 1 passenger side valve covers have a flaw and they all eventually leak. He has a new one as of yesterday, to put on. His is leaking into the plug well. His mechanic (not Ford) put on a new gasket which didn’t help.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
A mechanic at a stealership told my Son the 3.5 eco gen 1 passenger side valve covers have a flaw and they all eventually leak. He has a new one as of yesterday, to put on. His is leaking into the plug well. His mechanic (not Ford) put on a new gasket which didn’t help.
^another thing my old 2013 went in to have fixed...one of many things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Incase anyone wants to know the damage here it is. Total work completed by Ford was replace vacuum pump, water pump, and passenger side valve cover gasket.
total price including parts, labor and taxes = $1,494.39.Extended warranty covered roughly $1,160 of it and I paid $334. My part included my deductible, diagnostics, and taxes.
I paid roughly $2k for my extended warranty so Im closing in on getting my money back lol. I’m at 148,500 miles right now and my warranty ends at 176,000 miles. Considering this is the first issues I’ve had with the truck I ain’t mad at the ol girl at all. She’s been tuned and moded since around 80k miles.

Reactions: TOWMA8R

·
Premium Member
8,600 Posts
In my opinion that was a fair price, warranty or not. Especially for a dealership.

Good job

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Incase anyone wants to know the damage here it is. Total work completed by Ford was replace vacuum pump, water pump, and passenger side valve cover gasket.
total price including parts, labor and taxes = $1,494.39.Extended warranty covered roughly $1,160 of it and I paid $334. My part included my deductible, diagnostics, and taxes.
I paid roughly $2k for my extended warranty so Im closing in on getting my money back lol. I’m at 148,500 miles right now and my warranty ends at 176,000 miles. Considering this is the first issues I’ve had with the truck I ain’t mad at the ol girl at all. She’s been tuned and moded since around 80k miles.
I think they should have replaced the valve cover, not only the gasket. Alot of defective ones out there.

·
Modinstrator
3,019 Posts
I’m under the impression these composite covers warp just like the exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mechanic at my Cousin's stealership told my Son they all eventually leak because of a defect.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will monitor it for leaks for sure.
They also mentioned that my turbo smart bov was leaking/spraying oil. Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Doesn’t seem normal to me !
The defective valve covers leak oil into the rear spark plug well.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Man I replaced my Passenger Valve Cover on my 2011 in 30 min. Costed only $75.48.

But I agree that was a fair price 👍🏻

Edit: Well actually$75.48 +$5.80 for the Motorcraft RTV.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had Ford not already had my truck and had the extended warranty not already agreed to cover the repair I would absolutely done it myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts