F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I purchased my 2013 EcoBeast for the sole purpose of being a Tow Vehicle for my family Travel Trailer. I have decided to go with the new Andersen No Sway WDH. As some of you may know this hitch is designed on a completely different style of weight distribution and anti sway than anything else on the market. In many ways it goes against all common principles of WD and AS.
Tomorrow I am getting the Andersen installed on the SolAire and will take the combination out for a few test runs to dial in the WD.

Does anyone here use an Andersen? What are your impressions of this hitch? Is anyone interested in hearing my impressions of this set up?

Regards,

SPPD

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I towed my Solaire with it last Wednesday for the first time. It does a great job of distributing the weight to the front axle. At the recommend 1/4 inch compression I was within1 inch in the rear and 1/4 in the front. I will be getting Cat Scale weights in June that will tell the whole story, but it rides great so far. Best of all it is completely quiet. I rolled down all the windows to see if I could hear anything, but all I heard was the safety chains rattling on bumps. I will be doing a 110 mile trip in May and several trips totalling over 2000 miles in June so I will have plenty of time to really test it out. I will post more information as I get more miles on this combination and when I get my Cat Scale weights.

I will try to answer any questions you have so just ask.

SPPD

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
View attachment 424 The Install was very easy and the quality of the unit and hardware seem very good. View attachment 425 I did not want to add any chain to make the frame brackets clear the propane tanks, so I had to move the propane tank tray 2 inches forward to ensure no rubbing on the tanks (for safety sake lol) View attachment 426 Installed using the Andersen recommended starting compression of 7 threads and 1/4 inch (2000lbs). It was nice and level at this point, but I will probably go one more thread to see where that puts me on my next trip.

I will be going to the Cat Scales before my 1200 mile trip in June just to make sure that the weights are at maximum safety.

My combination required the 8 inch lift/drop version of the Andersen, and I am going to experiment with the ball rise to bring the nose of the trailer down just slightly when I go to the scales and dial it in. I have no rear sag at all at the minimum recommended compression and the whole thing is nice and level. I am using the set screws in the no-drill option on the brackets. If I get any sliding of the brackets I will have the brackets welded rather than drill the frame, but the set screws seem to be holding fine in the no-drill configuration. I will be checking the set screws and all bolts every 100 miles or so and will torque them down as needed if they loosen at all from use.

Regards

SPPD

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I now have about 600 miles on this combination and am still very happy with my choice. The Andersen is extremely easy to dial in and make adjustments. The Andersen is really quick to hitch and unhitch and is extremely quiet. Any specific questions I will be glad to answer.

SPPD

·
Registered
29 Posts
That sounds like a great hitch. I think I will be replacing the used Equalizer that may trailer dealer included. The Anderson looks like a good choice. Unfortunately, there isn't a dealer near me. I would like to hear more as you have more experience with it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can purchase the Andersen directly from the Andersen Site, and ebay and amazon. If you have a decent set of wrenches, a torque wrench, and a set of large allen wrenches the install will take you less than an hour. The instructions are really well written and simple to follow.

SPPD

·
Registered
6 Posts
SPPD,
Does the hitch remove all the trailer bounce feedback out? My Equal-i-zer transfers hard bounce backs to the truck when the trailer hits bumps.

David

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SPPD,
Does the hitch remove all the trailer bounce feedback out? My Equal-i-zer transfers hard bounce backs to the truck when the trailer hits bumps.

David
It doesn't eliminate bounce, but it definately dampens the bounce. It tows very comfortably compared to my old Reese with the round bar WD. BTW, I really like your VLite. We were seriously considering a V nose when we upgraded this year.

I am actually selling my Andersen since I just upgraded to a ProPride, but I really liked the way the Andersen pulled.

SPPD

·
Registered
1 Posts
It doesn't eliminate bounce, but it definately dampens the bounce. It tows very comfortably compared to my old Reese with the round bar WD. BTW, I really like your VLite. We were seriously considering a V nose when we upgraded this year.

I am actually selling my Andersen since I just upgraded to a ProPride, but I really liked the way the Andersen pulled.

SPPD
Hello SPPD. I have been following your similar interests on this forum, as well as on the FR forums. Just curious, why the sudden upgrade to the Propride? And do you have any more pics of your truck and rig? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello SPPD. I have been following your similar interests on this forum, as well as on the FR forums. Just curious, why the sudden upgrade to the Propride? And do you have any more pics of your truck and rig? Thanks.
Now the reason for switching hitches. I still love the Andersen and just returned from a 500 mile round trip to the Dells about 2 hours ago. It tows extremely well, but with any hitch you sometimes feel the rig back there. The Andersen tows better than any hitch I have ever towed with, but my wife will not drive when we tow because it makes her nervous every time the trailer moves back there. The ProPride claims to completely eliminate movement and the reviews seem to back it up. To share the driving would make our long hauls much more enjoyable for me, and it will be worth every penny I pay for the replacement hitch.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ForumRunner_20130619_201629.jpg

ForumRunner_20130619_201643.jpg

Here are the photos of my truck and rig as requested.

SPPD

ForumRunner_20130619_201657.jpg

ForumRunner_20130619_201709.jpg

ForumRunner_20130619_201722.jpg

ForumRunner_20130619_201742.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you please advise me. It looks like you have the same package as I do. Mine is same truck but an '12. My trailer is a great big 33ft(7300lb dry and almost 9500 loaded). I bought the Anderson hitch and swear I have it properly set up. I can't get used to all the trailer movement!!!! I have three pulls now. One of them a test, then one trip empty and last one loaded. Between those three trips I have added Firestone airbags and new LT tires. Granted every time I seem to take it out it is windy but the other people in our group doesn't have the movement I have. I hate to get rid of the truck but my 3/4 work truck pulls the trailer fine with no hitch at all. Or did I just blow $450 on a hitch that isn't up to the job??? Thanks

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Martin,

PM sent

SPPD

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am interested in swapping out hitches as a I have the traditional weigh distribution hitch with the 2 bars and chains you have to hook up. I don't think this helps with sway at all on my bigger trailer. I watched the Andersen video but am still lost as to how it stops the trailer from swaying by itself and being part of the truck instead. Any insight?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am interested in swapping out hitches as a I have the traditional weigh distribution hitch with the 2 bars and chains you have to hook up. I don't think this helps with sway at all on my bigger trailer. I watched the Andersen video but am still lost as to how it stops the trailer from swaying by itself and being part of the truck instead. Any insight?
The sway is managed by friction braking material lining the ball mount. The Andersen ball moves in unison with the trailer tongue and is locked locked together with tension from the chains. The WD works by pulling the bottom of the ball mount toward the trailer therefor pushing the top of the reciever forward transfering weight to the front axle of your truck. The heaver the tongue load the more the ball shank is forced into the friction braking material. It works very well, but you will still get occasional movement of the rear of the trailer, but it corrects itself very quickly. I have towed with a few combinations and by far the Andersen once dialed in was the best of the bunch at managing sway. If you want to eliminate sway there is only one hitch that fits the bill and that is the ProPride. It is very costly, but it lives up to all of the claims. I was absolutely fine with the Andersen, but I want my wife to start sharing the driving on our longer trips. She said she would drive if the trailer didn't move, so I took a gamble and went with the ProPride. Half way through our last trip she mentioned that she might be interested in driving. Once she takes the wheel towing the first time it will be worth every penny I spent on the ProPride.

I still think that the Andersen is an amazing and inovative design that works extremely well. It is also the lightest, quietest, and cleanest hitch I have ever used.

In My objective opinion the ProPride is the best hitch, but the Andersen is a close second.

SPPD

·
Registered
943 Posts
Did you end up selling your Anderson?
Yesm, he did. I bought it. It worked very well on our whrlwind trip to Texas & Louisiana in March. I am pulling a 27 foot RVision Trail Bay travel trailer. I estimate the loaded weight to be around 8000lbs. Last year (2013) the trailer was a little unruly. I was using a spring bar wdh. This year with the Andersen and the Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) the trailer was very nice to tow.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
27 Participants
Cougarfan
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing