F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 eco, 148000 miles. rattle started last week, first that I have ever heard it and I've had this truck about 3 and a half years and 81000 miles worth. the rattle sounds like beans in a can pretty much. hot or cold, low speed, accelerating and coming to a stop or cruising below 15 20 miles an hour. the stop and go isnt terrible to deal with but if I'm going through a parking lot looking for a place to park it pretty much never stops. I sound like the guy with a clunker that's going to quit any minute. no rattle sitting still but does feel like I have a tiny bit of a miss or something.

my original thought was maybe the cat was going out and the beads were rattling but I just read 4 days worth of another post and I'm not sure now. I've checked heat shields and all that but unsure how you check a cat without actually messing it up if it's good. I'll get it recorded and post it tomorrow

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
2012 eco, 148000 miles. rattle started last week, first that I have ever heard it and I've had this truck about 3 and a half years and 81000 miles worth. the rattle sounds like beans in a can pretty much. hot or cold, low speed, accelerating and coming to a stop or cruising below 15 20 miles an hour. the stop and go isnt terrible to deal with but if I'm going through a parking lot looking for a place to park it pretty much never stops. I sound like the guy with a clunker that's going to quit any minute. no rattle sitting still but does feel like I have a tiny bit of a miss or something.

my original thought was maybe the cat was going out and the beads were rattling but I just read 4 days worth of another post and I'm not sure now. I've checked heat shields and all that but unsure how you check a cat without actually messing it up if it's good. I'll get it recorded and post it tomorrow
You may have said but is your truck a 4-wheel drive? If it is try putting it in 4-wheel drive and see if it makes it sound still.
Could be your iwes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Yea, do what Sir Ike suggests.

Believe me. He's the rattle-thump-click-knock-thud expert around here. ;)

If your truck makes any noises, he's heard them before.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/QUOTE]You may have said but is your truck a 4-wheel drive? If it is try putting it in 4-wheel drive and see if it makes it sound still.
Could be your iwes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I'll give it a shot but it doesnt sound like a grind, more like something is loose. like something is just dangling against something

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok Sir Ike, now that I'm convinced it's the iwes since it doesnt do it unless I'm rolling, how do I go about troubleshooting this? does it mean the hubs are bad or trouble with the vacuum

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
ok Sir Ike, now that I'm convinced it's the iwes since it doesnt do it unless I'm rolling, how do I go about troubleshooting this? does it mean the hubs are bad or trouble with the vacuum
From what I've seen If you catch it soon enough you may be able to just replace the vacuum solenoid thing, but if it's been going on for a while most likely the hubs will have to be replaced as well. A friend of mine just went through this for the second time with his 2017.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[/QUOTE]From what I've seen If you catch it soon enough you may be able to just replace the vacuum solenoid thing, but if it's been going on for a while most likely the hubs will have to be replaced as well. A friend of mine just went through this for the second time with his 2017.

ok so for now worry on the vacuum then if it keeps doing it after then look into replacing the hubs. it's been about 2 weeks I guess so hopefully that's it

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
From what I've seen If you catch it soon enough you may be able to just replace the vacuum solenoid thing, but if it's been going on for a while most likely the hubs will have to be replaced as well. A friend of mine just went through this for the second time with his 2017.

ok so for now worry on the vacuum then if it keeps doing it after then look into replacing the hubs. it's been about 2 weeks I guess so hopefully that's it[/QUOTE]That's what I would do

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well that answer I found out a little while ago is no. the part they said I needed had one outlet where as the yg360 has 2.

but in further investigation, I thought I'd throw it in 4wd to see what happens and I still hear the rattle. now that I was focused in on it, I start the truck, no rattle. when I first shift into reverse I hear it for a second then it stops, into neutral theres nothing then in drive does it again. when moving I hear it up to 15 mph then it stops. while moving if I let off the gas, then give it gas again theres nothing. when I slow down and get to about 15 mph it comes back again and completely stop it goes away. and I do know the 4wd did activate

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
scratch part of that. down a quiet back road, barely on the gas I could hear it up to 40 mph. get into the gas and nothing, letting the truck slow on it's own nothing but slowing down quick I hear it around 15 20

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Hmmm.
Sounds kinda simular to the rattle I'm dealing with. Good news with mine is its getting more consistent and slightly louder
Yaaaay! Haha
Well good because the dealership shouldn't be able to deny its not right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well if it helps any I may have found it. I'll find out in the morning. on the exhaust behind the cat on the driver side, theres a heat shield on the exhaust pipe where it runs over to the passenger side all the way across almost. mine was tapping on the pipe on the driver's end. I guess it was welded and its came loose. I bent it up a little bit and now when I tap it's not rattling so we will see

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
well if it helps any I may have found it. I'll find out in the morning. on the exhaust behind the cat on the driver side, theres a heat shield on the exhaust pipe where it runs over to the passenger side all the way across almost. mine was tapping on the pipe on the driver's end. I guess it was welded and its came loose. I bent it up a little bit and now when I tap it's not rattling so we will see
I think I know which one you are referring to, mine was tight unfortunately if it is the same one.
Happen to have a picture of it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll snap one this afternoon. my rattle I believe went away. I'm headed to work but I'll get a picture when I get off. probably around 530 this afternoon. you got a recording of your sound?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this is just a picture I found skimming Google of a set of pipes someone removed to go catless. it just shows the shield easier than I can because mine is still mounted and you cant really see the shield because its between the pipe and the frame. but I tapped on the outside of the shield and when I tapped the end toward the passenger side it didnt make noise because it's still welded to the pipe but when I tapped the end of the shield on the driver side I could hear it rattle against the pipe. so i just bend the end of it away enough where when i tapped i no longer heard it and poof it's gone, for now anyway.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts