F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2019 sxt super crew with 2.7 ecoboost. It has the heavy tow option prewired for trailer brakes but no controller. I have read and heard conflicting stories about installing one and programming the computer. Etrailer says you don't via their tech staff. I have read both on here. Some say you do some say you don't. I could care less about the anti sway option in the truck since my load distribution hitch has one. So what's the truth about programming and using a p2 controller?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Couldn't care less...

But you will have to turn on the factory brake controller and that can be done with Forscan. To use a P2 you can use the pigtail and should not need to program it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same controller and it's been working good. No other programing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same controller and it's been working good. No other programing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couldn't care less...

But you will have to turn on the factory brake controller and that can be done with Forscan. To use a P2 you can use the pigtail and should not need to program it.
Once you installed the prodigy, you did not have the computer flashed to acknowledge it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn't. I didn't know I had to? When I apply the controller brakes manually, they work.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The P2 doesn’t require any system updates. Only the OEM controller will require updating the system so it interfaces with the truck.

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
The P2 doesn’t require any system updates. Only the OEM controller will require updating the system so it interfaces with the truck.
Yea, I don't think that the folks who haven't seen the "integration" of the Ford brake controller realize how that differs from the traditional add-on brake controller.

There's something really cool about touching your controller and seeing the feedback on your OEM dashboard display.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yea, I don't think that the folks who haven't seen the "integration" of the Ford brake controller realize how that differs from the traditional add-on brake controller.

There's something really cool about touching your controller and seeing the feedback on your OEM dashboard display.
The P2 is a nice controller but I do agree with this! Having it all integrated sure is nice; and it works correctly!
But, to be honest, if I couldn't get an integrated I would stick with the Prodigy line, preferably the P3

·
Registered
513 Posts
I ran a prodigy in my 2009 and integrated in my 2016 that came with it. It is very convenient to have the integrated, but properly set up, the prodigy stopped the trailer almost as well as the oem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 sxt super crew with 2.7 ecoboost. It has the heavy tow option prewired for trailer brakes but no controller. I have read and heard conflicting stories about installing one and programming the computer. Etrailer says you don't via their tech staff. I have read both on here. Some say you do some say you don't. I could care less about the anti sway option in the truck since my load distribution hitch has one. So what's the truth about programming and using a p2 controller?

Do you have HPP or Max tow? Cant have the Max tow with a 2.7L, and the Max tow would have a controller built in from the factory. The HP would throw you to a 5.0L.. So maybe you have just the regular tow package. Make sure you know your tow limits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you ordered the Max Tow it would have come from the factory with the controller. You sure you actually have the tow package?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are 2 towing packages available with the 2.7. A basic package has the class iv hitch and 7&4 pin connectors and the better one that EDITED: also does not include the TBC.

To add the OEM trailer brake controller you need to make changes to enable it by either having the dealer do it $$ or by using Forscan on your laptop and making the changes yourself.
Go here to learn everything you need to about Forscan.

Edit: Link to video for TBC install

·
Administrator
10,460 Posts
The "better" tow package still doesn't include a brake controller. I got my truck with the tow package (53a package, step up from class IV hitch which is 53b).

My truck did not have a brake controller.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
The "better" tow package still doesn't include a brake controller. I got my truck with the tow package (53a package, step up from class IV hitch which is 53b).

My truck did not have a brake controller.

Hmmm My mistake. After checking I also have the "upgraded" 53a tow package. Looks like the TBC only comes with the Max Tow package that also requires the 3.5 Ecoboost.
I will be adding the TBC on my '16 XLT 302a 2.7eco this year and enable it with Forscan. No dealer fees for me. :)

·
Administrator
10,460 Posts
I had the 53a package also. I bought the brake controller for about $100 and paid my dealer $100 to install and flash. Well worth it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts