F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hahaha, no never been one to do either of those. It is frustrating, to say the least but I will say that I am learning all kinds of different things about this vehicle by being so hands on.

Tapatalk - it’s like bacon, for your phone.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Negative, no hidden or dealer codes other than the grille/CAC shutter codes that is a result of removing them. Motors are still in place but I have not reset them so the truck still shows the codes.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Fuel tank dropped...what a total pain in the stick. Previous owner had to have had this truck deep in the mud.

This is taken AFTER knocking off huge clods of dirt and debris...

Even took a bit to get the pump out...which I am not so sure is OEM.

Every. Single. One. Destroyed. Not by me. Ended up having to cut the lines, time to source some Ford OEM fittings I guess.

Bottom sock looks clean

Hard to see in the picture and I have not taken it apart yet, but the sock beside the "walbro" style pump is dark brown and gritty.

Now I wait until the new OEM pump comes in...oh and new fittings, if the local parts house does not have them.

19 gallons of 93 octane. Sigh. Was impossible to siphon the tank while in the truck, had to drop the 166+ lb dude then siphon it with an electric pump.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I highly doubt that replacing this in tank LPFP will fix my issue. But at least now I know there is not going to be any more dirt riding around on top of my fuel tank and skid plate.

There are numerous sensors at the fuel pump location, one on the pressure line, one on the larger evap line, then the fuel pump control module.

I have always been of the mind that if a CEL is thrown, then diagnostics are completed and the sensor is working (showing readings etc) then the sensor is not the issue...

Maybe I am way off base...Still open to ideas.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,455 Posts
Man, you don't mess around!

Yea, I bet you are getting to know every nook & cranny of that truck. Wish it wasn't because you were chasing gremlins, but still it's a good thing in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Your plugs do not have to be wet to indicate a faulty fuel injector. It can be like mine dripping down the cylinder creating a misfire rough idle. I have no fuel smell but definitely have lost mpg"s since I got back from my 3k roadtrip.
You need to get a diagnostic test on your system. Thing is....if one injector is bad they all need to be changed out.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have run multiple diagnostic tests on this truck. I have the same (equivalent) machine the dealer uses, and paid dearly for it (and the updates.) All injectors are well within spec, "random misfire" only occurs on initial startup, Once it smooths out, that particular issue dissolves.

The sole issue that my overly expensive device shows is fuel pressure at the rail, after the HPFP, which would lead a reasonable person to believe that either the fuel line feeding the HPFP is corrupted somehow or it is not getting sufficient flow from the LPFP in the tank.

Granted I appreciate the input, however at this point, knowing that there is not an issue with fuel "feed" lines from the tank forward (removed, inspected, blown out,) this rules out the aforementioned potential issue...furthermore compression is within spec, plugs (while you are correct, a bad injector can drip) are dry and show no indication of unburnt fuel, not seeing an injector issue on the machine does not reinforce this opinion.

Going to pull the HPFP and check the cam lobe to make sure it is not scarred up or worse.

Please do not take my reply as harsh, again I appreciate the input, not trying to be a jerk here, at all. I do have quite a bit of experience under my belt working with interference engines, especially boosted, this however is my first "eco" boost, therefore this post regarding this particular issue.

Hopefully I did not come across as brash. That is not my intent.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Unfortunately I work this evening (Wednesday,) in school Thursday (yes I know why did I decide to go back at my age) and then back at work Thursday night. This weekend I will install the LPFP and we will see what that avails.

It is the only logical explanation, despite not "feeling" like it will in fact address the issue.

The more I work on this truck the more I see that someone else has had their hands in it, therefore I lean towards finding a band-aid that someone else put over a larger problem instead of repairing it...scary thought, as I am now $5k plus into parts, BEFORE the P0087 issue.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
@TangoMike415 ...No offense at all. So all the fuel injectors are flat lining or above on the baseline readings?
No dipping on any individual fuel injectors on the chart?
Mine has a slight dip on cylinder 5, but smooths out when revved up.
You sound like me in that you WILL narrow it down!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So when I updated the software on my device it now shows “proffered” or “desired” as a PID on most, along with the actual real time-live PID info.

Graphing the two together on all injectors, it is well within the given parameters. Pretty neat actually.

It does dip, but only on initial start if it has been sitting for some time. But the dip…occurs on all injectors, almost like a symphony of sorts.

Glad no offense was taken, sometimes when I run in pure caffeine and hate those closest to me tell me that I am a jerk.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
SRP out of curiosity, does a failure of that dude throw a code? In my research I have not observed such. I am willing to replace it. Heck I’m already this far in. Hahaha

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
SRP out of curiosity, does a failure of that dude throw a code? In my research I have not observed such. I am willing to replace it. Heck I’m already this far in. Hahaha

That, I do not have an answer for. I'd imagine it would . I looked in engine diagnostics and didn't see anything..... but that doesn't mean its not capable of throwing a code. Apparently moisture is very known to get in the connector and corrode the contacts.

Do you have any datalogs when you had it running?

Have you taken a look at the EVAP Purge solenoid? If its stuck open - it will cause vacuum to be placed on the tank. Reducing overall fuel pressure. Codes for EVAP require some miles to be put on the truck after reflashing.

At this point I'm just throwing whatever I can think of lol.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I did not see it in diagnostics either, was hoping for a hail Mary. Haha.

You are correct, I have not found any alarming corrosion on this truck other than at the backup camera. The whole unit was caked in dry mud, but surprisingly the connectors were in great shape. Guess that is the one place the o-rings in the electrical connectors actually worked :ROFLMAO:

The EVAP! I did not think about that, will check that next...what in the crap, how did I miss that. No codes for EVAP at all, however, but that is worth a shot.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Have you considered that the fuel rail sensor itself may not be functioning correctly?

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have, may as well replace it too. Sigh

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
I have, may as well replace it too. Sigh

You must be a Ford parts department most valued customer. I think you should qualify for wholesale pricing.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Does anyone know where in the world the fuel rail pressure sensor is located? I assume I will have to pull the intake manifold back off to get to it, but in the event I need to, I want to minimize the amount of removed items if at all possible.

Ordered a fuel pump control module and will install it along with the new in tank pump this weekend. Still doubtful this will address the issue. We shall see.

And yes, @snakebitten they light up when I come in... "Our most favorite customer! How much of your life savings to spend today?" In the worst of the worst eastern block accent.

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
Isn't the FRP sensor mounted ON the fuel rail itself?

My recent manual acquisition states that it is

I'm pming you

21 - 40 of 53 Posts