F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start towing this month and I have right around 1300 miles on the odo.
The stealership threw in 2 free oil changes with my purchase, but they have to be at 3000 and 6000 miles. I worry about towing at all with the break in oil and the metal shavings and build debris that is most certainly in there. I am going to change the oil myself at around 1500 miles (Sunday). I was looking for some tips from any of you that do your own changes. I have read that the oil change is a PITA and very difficult to do without making a huge mess.

Give me some advice on keeping it as clean as possible?

Thanks in advance,

SPPD

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I've only done it once, but the issue with the mess is the built in funnel thing has an outlet on each end (north south) so depending on what angle the truck is at dictates where the oil comes out of... In my case it was fairly level so it came out of both ends like a bad case of the flu.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm with Raider and had the issue first go around. Second oil change I made sure truck was slightly tilted so it came out the rear just watch out for sway bar. Either way bro its going to be a little messy. The oil filter is a bit of a reach too being the EcoBeast is tucked up against the firewall. One tip is use a bigger catch pan or two to ensure you catch the river of oil by the funnel.

·
Registered
495 Posts
They don't use break in oil anymore. The truck will be fine at 3k. And IMO if the dealer gave you two free you should be able to cash um in whenever YOU want to.

·
Registered
131 Posts
They don't use break in oil anymore. The truck will be fine at 3k. And IMO if the dealer gave you two free you should be able to cash um in whenever YOU want to.
X2

There is a misconception out there that motors need to be "broke in"...... the only "breaking in" that needs to be done to a fresh motor is to have the rings seated, and for this it is actually better to run the engine harder to build higher cylinder pressure there for seating the rings better. There is no part of a motor designed to "wear" or "break in" and if you find metal shavings during a oil change you've got bigger problems...The only wear metal that should be found will be at the microscopic level after having a lab analyze it (the true test of your engines health).

Now, that being said I am a 100% proponent of changing your oil frequently with high quality oils and filters, filters being the most important.... if you feel more comfortable changing your oil often then do it and don’t let anyone tell you any different. In the end that engines health falls back to you and no one else.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, but I call the oil they put in from the factory the break in oil since its in there during the break in period. Lol. The little coupons that they gave me for the free oil changes said 3k and 6k. I asked if I could use them early for the reasons in my original post. I was told not until 3k and 6k. I figure its so they can try to upsell me at that time. What ever the case is I am gonna change my oil this Sunday before I start towing if for nothing but piece of mind. Once I get past the freebie at 6k I will be going to Mobil 1 and follow the on board oil life monitor.

SPPD

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
My 94 lighting has 414xxx miles yes 414 plus thousand miles and I changed its oil every 3k with regular ol Dino oil o synthetics. Reg oil n filter changes will do wonders.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My 94 lighting has 414xxx miles yes 414 plus thousand miles and I changed its oil every 3k with regular ol Dino oil o synthetics. Reg oil n filter changes will do wonders.
That is insane your Lightning but so true. I loved that model of Lightning I remember when it rolled out and OMG did it lay the pain down (No Doubt it still does).

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have well over 200,000 on my little XLT, and it was always Mobil1 and fresh filters every 3,000... The oil itself was only changed annually. Yes, I know, people will cringe - but he is fine. I've had him 16 years so far...

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I waited to tow till I had a little over 1,000 miles. Then I started towing. I had over 3,000 miles when I did the first oil change. The oil had a little color I it but was not very dirty. It won't hurt to change the oil early of course, but it is overkill IMO.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To me just the piece of mind is worth the 15 or 20 bucks.

SPPD

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Walmart has the 5qt jugs of oil on sale from time to time. Depending on brand it can range from from 15 to 20 bucks. I can even get the 5qt jugs of mobil 1 for 18 bucks from time to time. I will usually buy 2 or 3 jugs when they are on sale. I have 2 jugs of 5w30 mobil 1 left from my previous vehicle in the garage, but I want to wait until I have a few more miles on my EcoBeast. Walmart has this price usually 2 or 3 times per year. Here in crook (cook) county IL, I am used to having people tell me that our prices are higher than everywhere else except maybe AK and HI.

SPPD

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow, thats some wicked $$ Savings! Can't find deals like that up here in Alberta! I have been running the semi-synthetic in my unit since new. chaanging over to full synthetic this time around. 25k mark. Now I don't listen to the oil life moniter and change oil every 5k asually says I have 50-70% oil life remaining. always changed oil on the 5k mark and had good luck. word is still out on the "break in" period though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took my truck to a very-good oil change place and it was worth it. All of the under-engine covers are a pain to remove and replace. I watched my oil change and the guy pulled off all of the stock covers. He said that you really need to pull of the front cover completely to get the filter out without spilling oil on that cover. This also showed me that it is time to look for an aftermarket replacement for these covers. They are cheap and would not be much help when you need a real skid plate.
I also like to change my own oil. You get to see what is happening under the truck. Years back I found a leaking power steering unit when I was changing the oil. If I had not found it, eventually that unit would have leaked out all of the oil and gone kaput. Lots more expensive to replace than fix a leaking o-ring.
Also, the dealer would probably use standard oil or that hybrid half oil & synthetic. I believe it is best to use full synthetic. I recommend Royal Purple. You will be pleased with it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So at 1900 Miles I took my Truck back to the Dealership and asked that an oil change be done in consideration of the "break-in" process... (Sorry, I am old-school and cannot fathom the idea that a newly constructed engine, does not produce debris in the oil media. Aren't I silly... wtf) I was told by the senior shop supervisor that there is a "conditioner" (???) added into the original oil at manufacture, that should be left to penetrate into all engine parts for as long as possible. I was told not to change the oil but between 5K to 7K miles... When I began to voice my protest I was offered free oil changes on the next two scheduled opportunities but for now to just leave it all alone. Has anyone else heard this???

·
Registered
578 Posts
I haven't heard about the conditioner, but I'm with you on the new motor wear, as I posted somwhere here earlier, I'm a believer in the frequent oil changes, (A year on mobil 1 with just filter changes? WOW!) as to the changing myself, I just can't see it, I have a pretty good relationship with My oil change place, and I'm allowed access to my vehicles when they're being serviced (this is the case with most of the places in this area, not that I'm special) so the inspections are still available to me just as if I was doing the oil change myself,

I'm not made of money, but my oil changes cost me $42. or so, and that's with castrol bottles, I personally can't justify buying the oil, f-ing with the undertray, the funnel nonsense that ford has come up with yet again, and disposing of the old oil and filter unless I had a post lift in my garage, even when autozone has the free filter with the oil for $25, I can't make the math work for me to do the service!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Plus, that autozone free filter is a piece of crap. I have no idea how dealerships make money on these oil changes. It costs $39.95 + tax here (I think it's nationwide) for the works which is oil change, topping off fluids, rotating tires, and vehicle inspection. There is no way in heck that is worth my time. I don't even think I would do it if it was $150. By the time I jack the truck up, get out jack stands, take off all the covers, and drain the oil, I'm gonna have 45 minutes into it. Then I have to rotate the tires, inspect the brake pads, top off my fluids, button everything back up and there goes another 45 minutes. Then I have to lug the oil container to a drop off center, another half hour between driving and draining the container. So it's gonna take me two hours, plus the oil and filter.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the time I jack the truck up, get out jack stands, take off all the covers, and drain the oil, I'm gonna have 45 minutes into it. Then I have to rotate the tires, inspect the brake pads, top off my fluids, button everything back up and there goes another 45 minutes. Then I have to lug the oil container to a drop off center, another half hour between driving and draining the container. So it's gonna take me two hours, plus the oil and filter.
To me this sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon! Lol

SPPD

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Well, shoot, I can't use any of those excuses cuz I buy the oil and filters with an employee discount and work at the used oil drop off location. Besides, I need the excersize!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
17 Participants
13'TwinScrew
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing