F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my choice down to going with an Undercover tonneau cover. However, I am having a difficult time choosing between the standard hard cover or the newer Undercover Flex cover. The Flex is a three section fold up hard cover much like some of the others being offered in the aftermarket venue but with some improvements and enhancements thrown in for good measure.

Currently if ordered from the Undercover direct website you can save 15% plus free shipping which puts the price of the Flex in the $667 price range and the hard cover in the $675 price range delivered.

I like the look of the hard cover with it's wrap around corner over the bed rails, the textured look, the light weight and lock feature.

I like the Flex because of the flexibility of the fold up design and no need to do a total removal of the tonneau for over sized loads.

What to do, what to do. I'm driving myself crazy here.

There is a hard Undercover for sale here locally...well it would be 140 miles round trip for $500. But figure 2 1/2 hours drive plus 10 gallons of gas to go take a look I'm not sure the savings are worth the trip for a used vs new.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd go with the flex cover! The standard cover is typically a pain to pull off (or you need at least two people and a place to store it) if you need to toss in a 4 wheeler or something large...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One nice feature on the Undercover hard cover is that it doesn't weigh much more than a 50# bag of range cubes, but is a little more awkward.

However, as you say it does need to be removed and stored until reattached to the bed. And while this could be done by ones self, it the wind is blowing it would make for an interesting situation while your lifting a 6'x5.5' wind catching sail over your head.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you are. I cannot decide if the convenience of the folding cover outweighs the looks of the hard cover. I think that a color matched cover is very sharp. Lucky for you that your truck is black because the folding covers are black. Granted they aren't smooth and shiney like paint but they are black non-the-less. Be true to yourself and get the one you like the best because you will have to either live with it or take a loss to replace it. Evaluate your wants vs your needs. How often would you carry loads that require you to remove a hard cover? Do you have somewhere to store it while its off...if it'll ever be off? I had a Snug-lid on my Lightning (black) and I loved it. It looked great and worked great. I was able to remove/reinstall it by myself very ingenuitively (is that a word?). I am considering the Bak-flip style covers for the eco boost. Simply because of the convenience. If my truck were black it would already be on there. I will tell you this. If you hand wash and dry your own truck that hard cover is going to be a bich. Yeah you'll have to get some sort of brush on a pole to wash it but you'll have to get really creative to hand dry that. You'd better wax it off of the truck. But they look so good. My decision is far from being made. The practical side of me says flip style but the looks of this LazerLite cover is just .....drooooool...... lazerlite-tonneau-cover-0006.jpg

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boy Howdy there proud of that LazerLite cover.

I think I will go with the Undercover Flex. It is not a matter of having a place to store a tonneau I have dual double split level garages so space is available. I guess the deciding factor is that it is a truck and you don't always have prior notice as to what you may be hauling at any given unexpected time. So while the hard one piece maybe my favorite look of choice, the flexibility of the folding Flex cover maybe my better choice in being practical.

Here is a link to the Undercover Flex compared to one of the other big name hard folding covers.

As for washing and drying it, no big deal I have a number of those soft wash brushes on extension poles that I use for the motor home washing. Drying it can be handled with the same pole and brush pushing the chamois across the tonneau cover.

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
I had the undercover (Standard version) on my F250. I liked the cover, but they are extremely thick and take up alot of cargo area. The cover was probably 5 inches thick and most of that was under the bed rails (Thats why you can stand on it). I loved the look, but it wasnt very usable. I know the flex is really popular. I vote you go with the flxex.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the undercover (Standard version) on my F250. I liked the cover, but they are extremely thick and take up alot of cargo area. The cover was probably 5 inches thick and most of that was under the bed rails (Thats why you can stand on it). I loved the look, but it wasnt very usable. I know the flex is really popular. I vote you go with the flxex.
Thanks for the impute, I wasn't aware that the standard Undercover was so thick and ate up storage area. Don't guess your a supplier for the Flex and could beat their price by any chance? After all I have a coupon code I could also use with you....LOL!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had 2 of the undercovers on different trucks they are nice but not for me (I got a deal on the second one I couldn't refuse needed on asap for vacation). I wouldn't buy one again I would go with the flex especially if you haul a lot of big items that would not fit in the bed with the lid down. The undercover is very bulky and its a lot easier with 2 people to take off and on.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Boy Howdy there proud of that LazerLite cover.
Yes sir they are too dam proud of it. They have one of those minimum advertised price deals that won't let the websites post the actual price they sell it for but still it is discouraging. You seem comfortable with a folding cover and that is great. They are so much more practical. With my truck being white it is making my superficial side have an unfair advantage over my decision. I'd have to go with a one piece to be able to paint match in order to have a white cover. I'm giving myself time to get over that which is why I don't have either one yet.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
I have a silver EB & the first thing I bought was the bakflip G2. Aluminum fold up. 4 sections reg box. Love it. Holds 400 lbs evenly & with locking tailgate, I feel safe. Maybe lose 4 inches when folded up against back window. I put it in myself in 90 mins. Took my time.

·
Vendor
1,041 Posts
Thanks for the impute, I wasn't aware that the standard Undercover was so thick and ate up storage area. Don't guess your a supplier for the Flex and could beat their price by any chance? After all I have a coupon code I could also use with you....LOL!!!

I dont carry the undercover brand yet. Sorry. Ill bet your coupon codes are piling up with all the orders ive seen!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont carry the undercover brand yet. Sorry. Ill bet your coupon codes are piling up with all the orders ive seen!
I have to be honest with you here, while I have ordered and been extremely pleased with your product and service, it is my son who has the largest pile of offers coupon codes building up. Seems like every time I would turn around he as placing an order from you, and pleased with each and every order.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
I have to be honest with you here, while I have ordered and been extremely pleased with your product and service, it is my son who has the largest pile of offers coupon codes building up. Seems like every time I would turn around he as placing an order from you, and pleased with each and every order.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372728008.249426.jpg

BakFlip G2 just wanted to show you

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you are. I cannot decide if the convenience of the folding cover outweighs the looks of the hard cover. I think that a color matched cover is very sharp. Lucky for you that your truck is black because the folding covers are black. Granted they aren't smooth and shiney like paint but they are black non-the-less. Be true to yourself and get the one you like the best because you will have to either live with it or take a loss to replace it. Evaluate your wants vs your needs. How often would you carry loads that require you to remove a hard cover? Do you have somewhere to store it while its off...if it'll ever be off? I had a Snug-lid on my Lightning (black) and I loved it. It looked great and worked great. I was able to remove/reinstall it by myself very ingenuitively (is that a word?). I am considering the Bak-flip style covers for the eco boost. Simply because of the convenience. If my truck were black it would already be on there. I will tell you this. If you hand wash and dry your own truck that hard cover is going to be a bich. Yeah you'll have to get some sort of brush on a pole to wash it but you'll have to get really creative to hand dry that. You'd better wax it off of the truck. But they look so good. My decision is far from being made. The practical side of me says flip style but the looks of this LazerLite cover is just .....drooooool...... View attachment 1721

Having had both of the undercover products I would go with the folding hard "FLEX" every time. They are both good covers but the easy folding flex model is by far a much more logical choice. The hard undercover is a great cover but it is really tough for one person to get on and take off. Both cover really do a good job of keeping out rain.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Having had both of the undercover products I would go with the folding hard "FLEX" every time. They are both good covers but the easy folding flex model is by far a much more logical choice. The hard undercover is a great cover but it is really tough for one person to get on and take off. Both cover really do a good job of keeping out rain.
My delimma is of the superficial and has nothing to do with which is the logical choice. I know the benefits of the folding cover. I just can't get past how good the painted fiberglass cover looks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My delimma is of the superficial and has nothing to do with which is the logical choice. I know the benefits of the folding cover. I just can't get past how good the painted fiberglass cover looks.

Well once you have to fight that 65 pound weight on a windy day the "superficial may become....................well......................superficial!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts