F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 SuperCrew with the max tow package. My Toy hauler is 35 ft, 8000lbs dry with a 1200lb tongue wt (web site info - not verified). I have no modifications to the truck. I am using a Reese wt dist hitch equipped with a single anti-sway bar. I towed the rig about 40 miles from dealer to parking area with no problems. Towed twice to a near-by park (without the sway bar connected) and no problems. Seven days ago I towed the rig just over 40 miles (almost all level highway) and drove in to the RV park removing the sway bar to avoid any problems. Upon making turns in the RV Park I began getting the most gosh awful Groaning, grating and popping noises from under the truck. Checked all my connections and all seemed good. Truck was sitting level and trailer appeared level. Stayed for a week and towed home yesterday. Same issue on making turns all was great on the highway. I pulled in to a rest area and went up one link on the chains (front end did feel a little light) Truck and trailer looked good. Pulled the rig out of the parking slot and same issue. I had the wife move the truck and I watched the hitch. Nothing appeared to be binding or twisting and the noises were definitely coming from under the truck.

Dealer assured me the tongue wt was not an issue with the max-tow pkg. But then he wanted to sell a truck

Any ideas short of going to a 3/4 ton tow vehicle????

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Used to tow a similar rig a few years back. Weight distribution hitch but now sway bar on mine. It would crack and pop on tight turns especially and I determined it was due to the binding of the bars and chains in the connections. Tried lubricating, WD40 and other stuff with no success. Finally learned to ignore it when almost every other race hauler did same when I watched them pull in and out!

Of course you might want to check the spring shackles and u-bolts on the rear axle just for peace of mind but I'd bet your just hearing the normal stuff.

Keep us posted and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the same truck and pull a toy hauler. Mine made the same kind of noise when my bars were new. I put some grease on the contact points on the bars and it helped until they broke in. You may want to weigh your toy hauler, mine is 21' and the listed dry weight is 6,100 lbs and dry at a scale mine came in at 7,800 lbs.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Ford advertises max tongue weight on the hitch of 1,130lb for all four towing option codes. And, at 1,200lb (if that is even close once loaded) are you even near your payload and read axle weights including all the passengers and gear? Even with the expanded weight ratings of today without the max payload package, I doubt it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Including passengers luggage and the weight of the hitch I would have to guess another 700 lbs so am under the gcvw rating. Hitch load is another issue. If dry tongue at is accurate I would have to add at least 250 lbs adding the hitch battery and propane tanks. The groaning noises were the scariest. It sounded like metal under great stress and was definitely coming from under the truck up around the area of the axle. I am used to the normal popping sounds of the chains and suspension creeks. This far exceeded anything I have heard when towing

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
GCVW is just one calculation category

Including passengers luggage and the weight of the hitch I would have to guess another 700 lbs so am under the gcvw rating. Hitch load is another issue. If dry tongue at is accurate I would have to add at least 250 lbs adding the hitch battery and propane tanks. The groaning noises were the scariest. It sounded like metal under great stress and was definitely coming from under the truck up around the area of the axle. I am used to the normal popping sounds of the chains and suspension creeks. This far exceeded anything I have heard when towing
GCVW isn't the issue. What is your actual(weighed on a scale, not guestimate) vs the truck's capable (actual read off the door panel, Ford chart, hitch) GAWR, Max Payload, max hitch weight?

You are providing numbers that state you have 2150 of payload. Is your truck capable of that payload?
You provided a hitch weight of 1450. Is your hitch capable of carrying that weight?
You need to know your axle weights and tire capabilities, as well.

Whatever the salesman said, means squat. . .

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Just my .02, but any time your maxing out your tow vehicle your pushing it. These towing numbers for these trucks are stretched out to the max.
Honestly, if I ever planned on towing anything as long as 35 feet, you would not find me using anything less then a 3/4 ton truck.
As mentioned in other posts about this, you are just not well grounded should something happen.
Your week link is your axle, you can beef up a suspension all you want, add air bags and bars but the load is still resting on the same bearings which are only meant to handle so much weight.
I've got a 1 ton diesel and the new ecoboost. I wouldn't think of taking our 8500lb boat on a long trip using the F-150, 10 miles through town to the lake yes, but not over the road.
Sounds like you may have bitten off more then a half ton truck can chew.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved. I traded the 1/2 ton for a diesel 3/4 ton. Took it in the shorts but now I can safely tow my trailer. Thanx to all for the positive input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Jumped ship. Found a 2013 Ram Certified used for 5K under book. It got me right side up on the F150. Never been a big Dodge fan but I do like the Cummins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts