F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've read just about all I can and I'm leaning toward a tuner. Most folks say SCT, but it seems they along with a few others have a "CA Compliant" tuner.

What's the difference?
What do I gain / lose? (Beside the obvious, CARB #)
Which brand is more confident in the CA Compliant market? (Is it SCT still)

Please help educate in this as I've been out of the game. I'm very familiar with tuners as I had several tuned (dyno tune on my F150 Lightning), so I'm getting caught up on all of this newer technology.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
move? (sorry I couldn't resist, I can offer no real help here)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
^^^^^ ditto!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not tune 49 state and go back to stock when you smog?
Because no one will ship the tuner to CA without it being CA compliant.

I can't move yet, my job is very fun and well paying. (Or I'd get the heck out of here.)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Do you have family or close friend that are outside of CA? If so pay for it ship it to them, then have them ship it to you. I use to have my sister ship me "things" when I lived in Ventura.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
^^^^^ double ditto!

·
Registered
728 Posts
SCT might be the newest (on paper) but in reality they have been tuning Ford for quite a while. They likely have among the best support for custom tunes (which will not be able to obtain a CARB #). BullyDog and SCT have the same parent company - which is pushing for more government clients. Since the EPA all but bankrupted Edge for selling to customers who were not using the product for "off road use" the manufacturers and dealers have been more leery of running afoul of the law. Several manufacturers do have serial numbers recorded and tracked through the supply chain. A dealer who violates the terms of the manufacturer can be subject to loss of their ability to sell the product. Each month several manufacturers send out a list of violators who are no longer allowed to sell the products of such manufacturer - and approved dealers are not allowed to resell inventory to them.

There are not a great number of custom tuners for the platform so don't be surprised if you post about skirting a law and they find out... you are out in the cold. At the dealer level the EPA has some stiff penalties for violators. Those people are even picky about the custom screwdrivers to adjust carbs now.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts

I can't move yet, my job is very fun and well paying. (Or I'd get the heck out of here.)
There's only one tuning company that won't sell/send the SCT device to ca, all the others will

·
Registered
29 Posts
There's only one tuning company that won't sell/send the SCT device to ca, all the others will
^this. CA is a catch 22, according to the letter of the CARB, you can't tune unless there has been an EO issued...
Practically speaking, the only thing the smog test checks for is visually if anything has been changed without a number, and if all the sensors are operational and within range. I don't think they even do the sniff test anymore.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Heck buy it off of ebay, they'll ship to anyone. The tuner is not asking you where you live they want strategy number and device number, its not illegal to sell a tune or a device it is illegal to use it for the purposes that it's not intended for.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Also you can buy the tuner and tunes off of
Americanmuscle.com they'll ship to CA. I know of a few people who have done that. Of course you've got to check the box that says you'll be using it for off road only.

·
Vendor
7,050 Posts

I'll buy it and ship it to you and you can PayPal me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would not recommend purchasing the tuner from american trucks/american muscle. They will ship you the tuner but wont design or preload tunes on the device. I ran into this issue and the only solution is to return the device.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
F-150 V6 TT
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing