F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing my research on the EB and want one for towing our 25ft travel trailer. Found good deal on a 2012 King Ranch with 130K miles...has enough nicks and dings that it's no longer a show queen.

I did note at the dealership (auction flipper so they are clueless) it has some oil under the area of the passenger side turbo is my best guess. had turbos all my life so they don't scare me at all and the 3.5L is proving to be a solid engine minus some intercooler and spark plug issues.

1. Is there any known systemic issues with turbos that I'm not finding on my internet searches?
2. Is there is a slightly common leak issue anyone tends to see?
3. I had a look from the engine (top side) and see no issues or wetness on anything visible so I'm suspecting turbo lines, o-ring, lose fittings, etc.

Thanks in advance on any constructive comments. Hoping for no BS here since the 5.0L crowd has no reason to be here!

Thanks.
Shawn AKA Newbie

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I would never buy one of these engines with that many miles, especially if it’s going to be your tow rig. Now if you are getting it for an insanely good price and can put some $$ away for when something breaks then I guess not so bad.

I would look for one with way less miles and if $$ is an issue a lower trim level.
I’d also try to get at least a 13 or newer.
just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would never buy one of these engines with that many miles, especially if it’s going to be your tow rig. Now if you are getting it for an insanely good price and can put some $$ away for when something breaks then I guess not so bad.

I would look for one with way less miles and if $$ is an issue a lower trim level.
I’d also try to get at least a 13 or newer.
just my $0.02

Specific experience even if one data point? Otherwise you sound like the 5.0L guys! I see these with 200K plus on a lot of forums with little systematic major engine issues...but very curious to your specific issue(s).

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'd post, but I don't qualify for any of those three data points.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Nothing personal but I really don’t have the 15-20 minutes it would take me to type out my personal experience and others I have known.

Honestly I didn’t even thoroughly read your original post, I just skimmed over it and what I saw was:

*need a tow vehicle
*truck has 130k miles
*some sort of oil leak (most likely turbo related)

Yes there are 200k plus trucks out there and most likely the owners were meticulous with their maintenance from day one.

So with this king Ranch you’re looking at that has 130,000 miles can you get a detailed oasis report with all maintenance, warranty work, recalls and TSB’s that’s been done since day one? If so and the truck is waaaay cheap then it may be a good choice for you.

If not I’d keep looking, possibly for a slightly lower trim with a good amount less miles for the same price or even cheaper.

And by the way, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the 5.0, it’s just not my engine of choice for a truck.
I’m on my 2nd Ecoboost now, had a 2013 for 4 years and now have a 2017.....so definitely not a “5.0 guy”

1 - 5 of 5 Posts