F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try as we might, there always seems to be an unknown issue or problem with buying a pre-owned truck.
For me, it was getting my 2018 when it was just over 40 months old, had 36,500 miles and within a month I had it in the shop for Cam Phasers and for the left rear door actuator failing. (Door was stuck shut!). Then having the panoramic sunroof broke in the stuck all the way open position.
All items fixed, eventually, but I sure did have a bad taste having these three issues right after buying “her” (see also the “did you name your truck” post).
Anyone else have something similar “go wrong” right after purchase?
PS I’m happy as can be with my truck now so don’t go making offers. She’s not for sale (yet)!

Reactions: tidefan1967

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I'm knocking on wood. All good after forcing out the condensation the week I got Ol Grey.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,057 Posts
I've bought a lot of used vehicles. But never an Ecoboost.
I've been very fortunate with used vehicles though. Never got a troublesome one that led to regret.

That includes used SuperDuty 6.0 and heavily used Ram 2500 diesel. Both considered a risk by the internet. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think I have two or three recalls that I would like to get taken care of but dealer won't do them same day, and I can't drop truck off and leave it. Brake booster, door latches, something about the B-pillar causing a fire...May not be related to buying used but I think they were initiated before I bought the truck (from a Ford dealer BTW).

·
Registered
27 Posts
My only issue that wasn’t a “wear” item was the air inlet grille. Not too long after I bought noticed floor was damp, looked underneath the cab and noticed one of the plugs were not positioned correctly put it back in, didn’t notice it wet again until recently and learned the inlet grille was leaking, previous owner knew, because there was duct tape “sealing” it. I tore it out and just have aluminum tape on it currently until I decide what I want to do with it.
Also the door sill with the wiring was full of water, that’s when I noticed it since I have weathertech/husky floor liners in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
No problems yet with my 2020. Bought used in February. I’ve put roughly 3K miles on it and all is good only issue I’ve run into is that I want to run premium in it all the time but with the steep increase of prices lately I just can’t justify $4.75 a gallon for premium. I would love to try some 87 some time I just don’t know about running regular in a turbocharged engine.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,057 Posts
You can safely run 87 in that truck. Sure, it's turbocharged but the engine management is incredibly sophisticated.
If you fill it with 87 and the previous tank(s) were 93, you could literally watch the truck adjust to the lower octane. (monitoring KR, for example)
If you wanna play it really safe, take it easy for the first 100 miles on the lower octane. You can gradually increase your aggressiveness and know that the truck will have adjusted to lower timing advance to protect the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Mine was fine till I had the TSB for the valve guide issue and had to have the cylinder heads replaced. Bought it with 42k miles on it, and had the cylinder head issue at 53,000 or at least that’s when I started noticing something was wrong.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I wasn't looking for an Eco when I got mine.. Still brand new off the lot in early 2014 with only 54 miles on it, but it had the Max Tow and that's what I was looking but didn't know they only came with the Eco's at that time.

Test drove it and didn't even look any further. So far so good. 112,000 miles on the clock now.

All my past vehicles have been used and had really good luck with them too. 97 F150 with 5.4, got it used in 2001 with 67,000 miles on it. Traded it in for the 13 F150 and the 97 had 255,000 miles on it and still running strong.. Hated having to trade it, but $$ forced me and I have no place to keep it at home off the street, and that just wasn't really an option either..

Mitch

·
Premium Member
2015 Ford F150 XL 2.7 Supercab
349 Posts
Bought my '15 Ecoboost with 7900 miles in 2017. The only fears I had was that a high school kid owned it (dad brought it to the Nissan dealer as a trade in to get said kid a new SUV) and it had a CAI and MBRP exhaust installed. Both of those "enhancements" helped me lower the price on it, and save for a wrench light (aux trans pump fixed under warranty) and bad CD player (also fixed under warranty), the truck's been amazing. I knew little to nothing about Ecoboosts and was basically looking for another V6 after the great luck I had with my old 2003 4.2. F150 and the asking price and low mileage combo was too good to pass up. The 2.7 has been a great engine, and it also got me on to this forum, so I'm quite pleased! ;)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You can safely run 87 in that truck. Sure, it's turbocharged but the engine management is incredibly sophisticated.
Mine hates 87. I know they will run on it but for some reason it stumbles and idles horrible. I decided a while back to never put another drop of it in unless that was all I could find.

As far as buying used. A friend of mine has bought 3 used and hasn't had any issues except 1 water pump. 2 were over 100k and the 3rd is still 'new' at around 20k.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My only disappointment was the dealer failed to inform me that the truck had a tune of unknown origin on it and the sale did not come with the tuning device. I thought it was stock. I guess I should clarify this wasn't a FORD dealer, it was a used car dealer.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
^ that would be irritating.
So what did you do to recapture ownership of the pcm image? Wouldn't you have to purchase a tuning device, grab the pcm strategy, fetch an oem tune somewhere and overwrite?

Reactions: tidefan1967

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Unless you call a Ranchero a truck, ( I was 22 years old then ) I’ve never bought a used truck in my whole life. But now that I’m retired I bet used is what I’m going to have to get. :cry:
Retired? Are all you guys “old”? Am I the only young guy?

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
It does depend on perception of what old is, but you are so young that almost everyone else in the forum IS old

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
It does depend on perception of what old is, but you are so young that almost everyone else in the forum IS old
Hahaha I know, I’m just giving you guys crap.

·
Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hahaha I know, I’m just giving you guys crap.
Just remember-
I’ve been married 3 times.
I have 2 ex mother-in-laws.
You. Can. Not. hurt my feelings!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts