F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,047 Posts
I've bought a lot of used vehicles. But never an Ecoboost.
I've been very fortunate with used vehicles though. Never got a troublesome one that led to regret.

That includes used SuperDuty 6.0 and heavily used Ram 2500 diesel. Both considered a risk by the internet. :)

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
You can safely run 87 in that truck. Sure, it's turbocharged but the engine management is incredibly sophisticated.
If you fill it with 87 and the previous tank(s) were 93, you could literally watch the truck adjust to the lower octane. (monitoring KR, for example)
If you wanna play it really safe, take it easy for the first 100 miles on the lower octane. You can gradually increase your aggressiveness and know that the truck will have adjusted to lower timing advance to protect the combustion chamber.

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
^ that would be irritating.
So what did you do to recapture ownership of the pcm image? Wouldn't you have to purchase a tuning device, grab the pcm strategy, fetch an oem tune somewhere and overwrite?

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
Much like our friendly forum Sherrif's marriage, I married way over my head and it'd be 40 years this September.
I look around these days and NONE of the sources of life's joys would even exist, at least not in my world, if it weren't for her saying Yes. (full disclosure: saying yes after saying no, sweetly, at least 50 times)

I highly recommend marriage!

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
At some point, we became best friends. We were in it together. All of it. And we had each other's back.
By the time we were in our 50's it was unimaginable to do life without the other.
Got to travel the world for the few years around the "empty nest" era. Pretty much seems like a fairytale looking back.
Again, I highly recommend going head first. You never know? Lol

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
I gotta admit if I were needing my 3rd motor at ~100,000 miles, my post would probably reflect it. :)

Edit: due to new post while I was typing

If mine had the kind of "shimmer" that didn't seem normal, it wouldn't be for 110,000 miles. I can't live with stuff like that. I HAVE to fix whatever seeeems like it's not right.

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
You mean 87 octane? :)
That would be irritating since the automotive world woos us with getting the newest version because it's more efficient.
It's strange though that the Aluminum truck with the Gen2 dual injection couldn't be more miserly than the introductory Ecoboost.

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
How does this ethanol crap gas work into the mix? Was it around in 2011?
Good point. It is possible that gas plays into his equation. But honestly, I think he started with a ringer that set the bar so high. A 22mpg 3.5 Ecoboost is a ringer indeed.

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
To be honest you need to keep it under 65-70 to get 22. At 80mph the instant mpg reading, even after reset hovers around 18.5.
Yea, I can guarantee you that EPA fuel economy testing doesn't in any way represent real-world-Texas driving. You ain't doing 65-70 on I-10 without drawing the ire of the collective.

I'm NOT complaining though. I always felt my Gen2 KingRanch got excellent fuel economy for the way I drove and the power on tap. It didn't get 22 on I-10 either.
The Powerboost is like it's cheating physics and chemistry. It's Effortless and without any drama able to fly, and yet as soon as you settle it goes into tea-sipping mode and recovers for your wasteful, but exciting, moment. But a brick is a brick in the wind tunnel. So again, it has no magic to draw on at 80+ mph. Except perhaps some contribution from the electric torque VS boost. Keeping it above the 20mpg mark.

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
Who did the transmission work?
Sounds like the transmission is worse after the torque converter and valve body job.

What happened to good mechanics and reliable results?

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts
Ford dealer did the work
Do you feel like they fixed what was wrong with the transmission?
I ask because it just doesn't seem like a repair for a shudder should result in all the other maladys the transmission now has.
I guess it could be a coincidence, but it'd be hard to trust them to touch my phasers.
And it's not common for a 2019 to need a timing chain. At least not a well taken care of truck anyways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts