F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious about high mileage 2nd Gen 3.5s please share mileage and problems and or lack of problems.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,857 Posts
Don't think we have any here on the forum.
At least none that have spoke up.

Quite a few new ones recently.
But most of the early Gen2's are still relatively low mileage. (<50,000?)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
A hair over 41k on mine, only consistent problem I have with mine is a leaky oil pan, dealership has replaced several times, hoping a metal version comes out.

I haul my 5th wheel from Va to UT, MT, SD every year, so far, fingers crossed, touchwood no issues.

Reactions: Truth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mutley29, is the seal around the pan leaking or the plastic plug that is causing the leak?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Seal around the pan, i'm on my 3rd or 4th pan, can't remember, plug is fine, now i just have to find a strange noise, Similar to Sirikenewton's, so far i have only heard it when towing though :(
Mutley29, is the seal around the pan leaking or the plastic plug that is causing the leak?

·
Registered
145 Posts
25K here, just changed spark plugs for the 1st time and was very simple, had front diff replaced at 17k, only complaint is i hate changing the oil (plastic plug), love the truck, we bought a Farm (Hunting Camp) and it need a lot of work and have been hauling, mini hoes, skid loaders, and materials, towing weight around 10k to 11k absolutely love towing with this truck

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,857 Posts
That's pretty cool oil drain setup. But I'd have to remember to keep piece #2 IN the truck on road trips.

Slick

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
If my truck had a plastic pan and plug I would definitely use that plug. The gentleman that does the 2.7 long term updates got one of those early on and he loves it.

·
Administrator
11,325 Posts
I've looked at the Ronin and the UPR plug. I just can't justify the money for them. I really don't mind the factory plastic plug. It's easy off and easy on, and I've perfected being able to pull it without making a mess. After the first or second chanfe, though, I was ready to pull my hair out.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
I bought my ‘17 3.5 with 52k miles on it. I’m at 66k now. I’ll be putting around 50k per year on it. Nothing to report so far. The truck was a fleet vehicle so I have records of all the maintenance. No major repairs or issues. I’ll find out in a year or two about high mileage... ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
you and me both, i hated changing oil on this truck the 1st couple of times and still a PITA but i'm getting better at it, I've gotten the hang of the plug and actually like it, the oil filter is still my biggest complaint,

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 F150 Supercab XLT 4X4 w/3.5 Eco/10Sp 3.55 gear
I just hit 54,000 miles on my truck.
I broke it in accordingly to the manual , then 10 miles after break in was done, I went on a 1,500 mile trip. I then changed the oil to full synthetic (prematurely) at 3,200. I've been running full syn ever since at 5,000 miles.I also added a K/N air filter at 20,000. Between 30,000-45,000 miles is when I felt the truck was the strongest(broken in the most?) And it was beautiful. The turbo whistle was exceptionally smooth/pronounced. I've also only put 91+or 93+ fuel since I've had it. I tow 4,000-7,000LB enclosed trailer, and it loves it. 6,000LB at 70-75 it'll be it 9th majority of the time, sometimes 7-8th, rarely 10th if flat road. I redline my truck at least once a day, I tow, Ive dragged raced it a bazzilian times, and I also have jumped it(1-1.5ft)😱 it honestly is so scary knowing my power train is gonna be out of warranty soon.60,000 miles.
I've been trying to put this truck (engine) through it's paces, and boy I'll tell you what! I'm constantly impressed with how much of a highway warrior this beast is. The next major service I have coming up is gonna be at 75,000 I'm going to do sparkplugs , brake fluid, diff fluid, switch to Full SYN HIGH MILAGE, maybe trans FLUID(idk because it's kinda funny). The transmission, if anything will break before the engine from my opinion/feeling/fearing. But until then I'm going to just preventatively maintain and continue to drive my truck like a teenager, because that's what I payed for! BTW I have a metal oil drain plug/pan.
Same 2019 3.5 with the glorious metal pan and plug! Love it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts