F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,901 Posts
That 10r80 is actually pretty Stout in many ways.
But....... it's got wear parts that aren't immune to trouble at some point (clutch packs), and there's been a fair share of torque converter maladys starting to show up as mileage increases.

The design itself is actually considered impressive by a few "tranny experts" that I have come across. But yea, I'd for sure service mine with fresh ULV on an old school schedule. :)

Love your truck (white), and it's mission as you have described it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
My 2019 XLT 3.5 has officially hit 60k as of today, so long warranty! 😭 But I must say putting 60k miles on it in less than 2 years (April 1st will be 2 years of ownership) was an absolute pleasure, zero issues of any kind to report. Truck still looks/sounds/drives as well as it did on day 1. It’s been 5* tuned since about 20k miles, and I’m a little scared to admit that I have yet to replace spark plugs, still running factory ones. But my new set comes in tomorrow. I’ve done every oil change myself, every 4000 miles from the very first one on. Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w30 and Motorcraft oil filter every time. Love love love this truck.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,901 Posts
You can extend that warranty at a bargain rate if you do it before the 3/36 or 5/60 anniversary.
(Official Ford warranty is what I am regarding)

As for the plugs, it's not a shock that an otherwise well maintained Ecoboost would still have 6 functioning sparkplugs at 60,000 miles. :)
But it's also very common for one or more of them to be performing below optimim, as well. Afterall, the day you dumped that oil at ~4000 miles, it was STILL clearly lubricating the motor.

Anyways, I always appreciate the GOOD reports here. I suspect there are literally 100's of thousands of happy Ecoboosters who just never make the effort.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
My 2019 XLT 3.5 has officially hit 60k as of today, so long warranty! But I must say putting 60k miles on it in less than 2 years (April 1st will be 2 years of ownership) was an absolute pleasure, zero issues of any kind to report. Truck still looks/sounds/drives as well as it did on day 1. It’s been 5* tuned since about 20k miles, and I’m a little scared to admit that I have yet to replace spark plugs, still running factory ones. But my new set comes in tomorrow. I’ve done every oil change myself, every 4000 miles from the very first one on. Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w30 and Motorcraft oil filter every time. Love love love this truck.
Awesome!
Man and here I was getting a little sad I’m just a couple hundred miles away from 30,000 miles on my 2019, which will be two years old this March 23.
And I totally agree these trucks are so fun and nice to drive. Shoot I don’t even use this truck for work/commute it’s all been just for fun driving, vacations, trips and errands occasionally and of course as much time as possible deep in the back country.

Also 5 Star tuned since about 1000 miles and oil changes done by myself every 3000 to 4000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
You can extend that warranty at a bargain rate if you do it before the 3/36 or 5/60 anniversary.
(Official Ford warranty is what I am regarding)

As for the plugs, it's not a shock that an otherwise well maintained Ecoboost would still have 6 functioning sparkplugs at 60,000 miles. :)
But it's also very common for one or more of them to be performing below optimim, as well. Afterall, the day you dumped that oil at ~4000 miles, it was STILL clearly lubricating the motor.

Anyways, I always appreciate the GOOD reports here. I suspect there are literally 100's of thousands of happy Ecoboosters who just never make the effort.

I agree on the plugs I was just worried about be shamed by the owners who religiously swap them every 20k or less especially on a tuned truck lol

Thanks for the kind words good sir and also agreed that more highly satisfied owners should make their love known, every positive review I read on the forum brings a smile to this face 😁

·
Registered
297 Posts
Awesome!
Man and here I was getting a little sad I’m just a couple hundred miles away from 30,000 miles on my 2019, which will be two years old this March 23.
And I totally agree these trucks are so fun and nice to drive. Shoot I don’t even use this truck for work/commute it’s all been just for fun driving, vacations, trips and errands occasionally and of course as much time as possible deep in the back country.

Also 5 Star tuned since about 1000 miles and oil changes done by myself every 3000 to 4000 miles

Sounds to me like we are one in the same except on the commuter front, this truck is my sole daily driver for all my transportation needs. And even still on days when I have nowhere to go I occasionally make an excuse to go SOMEWHERE just so I can jump in and fire it up, I just really enjoy driving it.

The craziest part is back in 2015 when I was looking to make my first big vehicle purchase I encountered a 2014 XLT eco with 25k on the clock and didn’t even give it a second glance, I didn’t know any better yet! Long story short a salesman convinced me to take it for a ride and I was sold. 3 years and 100k miles later I knew for sure I was an eco booster for life. In that time I replaced one cylinder coil that went bad and that’s IT.

Tragically in March of 2019 on a rainy morning on my way to work I rear ended another F150 and totaled it. As sad as I was to say goodbye to that truck it opened the door for the beautiful Magnetic gray machine I’m driving today. Hats off to Ford for building a superior product. Big shout out to the boys at 5 Star as well, they do awesome work and their tunes have worked perfectly for me since day one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious about high mileage 2nd Gen 3.5s please share mileage and problems and or lack of problems.
~74K miles on my '18 3.5 EB. Have done nothing but change the oil every 10K with high end synthetic oil and oil filter. I regularly pull a 9500lb trailer and drive it fairly hard. beyond regular maintenance i've done nothing more than have the TCM reset for rough shifts. rig is solid.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,693 Posts
Wow you actually let it go to 10k.

Reactions: dgc3043

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Appreciate all the feedback. I am on my second 3.5 ecoboost. 2018 ate a moose and 2019 is at 21 k miles. No problems or regrets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow you actually let it go to 10k.
I had a 2013 Infiniti JX35 with Nissans 3.5L 6cyl. drove it 164K miles with the same service intervals and no issues (oil and filter every 10K). ran perfect when i traded it in. I think manufacturers are generally running larger oil capacities for smaller displacement, which helps increase intervals where high end synthetic is used. For example we are running 6qts in a 3.5L motor. Think back to when we were kids, pretty much everything was 5 qts of oil for a standard 5L V8 motor. That's obviously only one factor. I would also keep in mind that I use the best synthetic oil castrol makes (i've heard mobil 1 is now top dog but that's a whole different discussion) and best synthetic filter that fram makes. Both guaranteed for 20K and I'm changing on the 10s....

Shall see :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't think we have any here on the forum.
At least none that have spoke up.

Quite a few new ones recently.
But most of the early Gen2's are still relatively low mileage. (<50,000?)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have a 2018 F150 XLT Supercab 4X4 3.5 3.55 gears with 73,289 miles. No issues at all with power or performance. I've dragged my truck/towed/haul ass everywhere I go and have off roaded aggressively with it. The only issue I have is the transmission is a bit clunky. I have been running Full syn oil since 3,400miles and at 68,000 miles I switch to High mileage full syn. I do oil changes every 5000 miles give or take 400-700 miles. Does not burn oil whatsoever!She runs smooth and is very well broken in. I plan to replace the fan belt/engine coolant/transmission fluid/diff fluid/transfer case fluid at 100,000 miles. So far I have been very impressed with reliability and performance throughout my ownership. Very satisfied!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 F150 Supercab XLT 4X4 w/3.5 Eco/10Sp 3.55 gear
I just hit 54,000 miles on my truck.
I broke it in accordingly to the manual , then 10 miles after break in was done, I went on a 1,500 mile trip. I then changed the oil to full synthetic (prematurely) at 3,200. I've been running full syn ever since at 5,000 miles.I also added a K/N air filter at 20,000. Between 30,000-45,000 miles is when I felt the truck was the strongest(broken in the most?) And it was beautiful. The turbo whistle was exceptionally smooth/pronounced. I've also only put 91+or 93+ fuel since I've had it. I tow 4,000-7,000LB enclosed trailer, and it loves it. 6,000LB at 70-75 it'll be it 9th majority of the time, sometimes 7-8th, rarely 10th if flat road. I redline my truck at least once a day, I tow, Ive dragged raced it a bazzilian times, and I also have jumped it(1-1.5ft)😱 it honestly is so scary knowing my power train is gonna be out of warranty soon.60,000 miles.
I've been trying to put this truck (engine) through it's paces, and boy I'll tell you what! I'm constantly impressed with how much of a highway warrior this beast is. The next major service I have coming up is gonna be at 75,000 I'm going to do sparkplugs , brake fluid, diff fluid, switch to Full SYN HIGH MILAGE, maybe trans FLUID(idk because it's kinda funny). The transmission, if anything will break before the engine from my opinion/feeling/fearing. But until then I'm going to just preventatively maintain and continue to drive my truck like a teenager, because that's what I payed for! BTW I have a metal oil drain plug/pan.
This is my post and this is where I'm at!

UPDATE
I have a 2018 F150 XLT Supercab 4X4 3.5 3.55 gears with 73,289 miles. No issues at all with power or performance. I've dragged my truck/towed/haul ass everywhere I go and have off roaded aggressively with it. The only issue I have is the transmission is a bit clunky. I have been running Full syn oil since 3,200miles and at 68,000 miles I switch to High mileage full syn. I do oil changes every 5000 miles give or take 400-700 miles. Does not burn oil whatsoever!She runs smooth and is very well broken in. I plan to replace the fan belt/engine coolant/transmission fluid/diff fluid/transfer case fluid at 100,000 miles. So far I have been very impressed with reliability and performance throughout my ownership. Very satisfied!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My 2018 F150 Raptor just hit 38,000 miles. Nothing but Motorcraft fluid/filter changes. Literally not a single thing has gone wrong on it. No phaser rattle.

It does have a propriety tune written by a Ford Performance Engineer. Bit more power and better shifting. Baja tested :cool:Only about 10,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2017 F150 XLT, 3.5 ecoBoost, 4 door, Super Crew, Stock
83 Posts
2017 xlt crew cab 4x4 3.5 ecoboost
120,000 miles
Love the truck.
Hated to do the phaser repair at 112,000, other than that.
Love it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts