F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Wednesday last, my truck's check engine light started flashing and went into limp mode as I was pulling my 6,000# trailer on I-64. I pulled off the road and shut the truck down. After it cooled a bit, I started it back up, and took off. Within a mile, same thing happened. This time I called a tow truck and had it taken to a Ford dealer in Charlottesville.

I started it once more to put space between my truck and the trailer. A friend was on the way to get the trailer.

Once the tow truck came, I tried to start it once again. This time it wouldn't even turn over, and the dash lights just blinked.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
750 Posts
On Wednesday last, my truck's check engine light started flashing and went into limp mode as I was pulling my 6,000# trailer on I-64. I pulled off the road and shut the truck down. After it cooled a bit, I started it back up, and took off. Within a mile, same thing happened. This time I called a tow truck and had it taken to a Ford dealer in Charlottesville.

I started it once more to put space between my truck and the trailer. A friend was on the way to get the trailer.

Once the tow truck came, I tried to start it once again. This time it wouldn't even turn over, and the dash lights just blinked.
Hey there…
How many miles does it have?

could be a number of things. Was it over heating?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there…
How many miles does it have?

could be a number of things. Was it over heating?
It has 96K miles. It definitely wasn't overheating.

Unfortunately this engine has been problematic, although this is the first time it's left me on the road sith the trailer. Either under regular warrant or Ford's ESP, both turbos and timing chains, both manifolds, 2 throttle bodies, and one transmission valve body have been replaced.

Oil has been changed regularly at 5K miles. My current trailer is only 6000 GVWR but it only scaled at 5100-5200#. I used to pull a 6500# GVWR trailer, but again it wasn't fully loaded.

My truck is of course 2014 XLT, 3.5EB, Super Cab, Max Tow and HD Pkg, 6 sp, 3.73 limited slip (mechanical), 8 ft box with a 163" WB, 2286# cargo capacity, and all steel body.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
750 Posts
It has 96K miles. It definitely wasn't overheating.

Unfortunately this engine has been problematic, although this is the first time it's left me on the road sith the trailer. Either under regular warrant or Ford's ESP, both turbos and timing chains, both manifolds, 2 throttle bodies, and one transmission valve body have been replaced.

Oil has been changed regularly at 5K miles. My current trailer is only 6000 GVWR but it only scaled at 5100-5200#. I used to pull a 6500# GVWR trailer, but again it wasn't fully loaded.

My truck is of course 2014 XLT, 3.5EB, Super Cab, Max Tow and HD Pkg, 6 sp, 3.73 limited slip (mechanical), 8 ft box with a 163" WB, 2286# cargo capacity, and all steel body.
Hmmm. Sounds like Ford has been beating around the bush on a bigger problem that isn’t fixed. Somethings eating everything up. I’m sorry you’ve had that much trouble with it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to the Ford people today. Was told that the battery was dead which caused any codes to be wiped. In any case, after getting it running, they can't get it to repeat the problems of last Wednesday. Later today they were going to drive up Afton Mountain west bound which is a fairly steep 3 or so mile climb to attempt to repeat last wednesday. If they can't they plan on hooking up a heavy trailer and climb Afton again.

There may also be an alternator problem, since the battery was strong enough to start the engine when the tow truck arrived. Maybe a failing alternator could supply the proper electricity to the engine, chassis battery and the trailer. I'm not a gear head, but I'm guessing the computer chips in today's modern engines aren't happy when starved of juice. I'll have them check out the charging system tomorrow also.

Also, while it's there I'll have the plugs replaced. It's long overdue, and I had planned on having it done this week after getting back from our weekend at the Beach Music Festival. They have pulled one, and it was shot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up on my truck. Got it from the dealer yesterday. Dealer never could duplicate the problems that caused the original check engine light and "limp" mode.

It needed to have the pinion seal replaced on the rear differential. This was an extended warranty item and was done with just a $100 deductible, and obviously new differential oil was put in.

The last spark plug change was at 53k, so I had new plugs put in.

I had the cooling system flushed. Truck has 96k miles and this had never been done.

Had them replace the serpentine belt replaced since the old one was taken off to do some of the other services.

Also had them change out the oil in the transfer case.

I felt a noticeable difference in the pep from the engine. I don't think that was my imagination running wild. Of course the proof will be when I hitch up the TT. This truck will not put me on the side of the road but once more. At that point I will get ride of it, and get something new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts