F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchase of a new Ecoboost. Is anyone having trouble with overheating issues in 2017 and later 3.5L ? Would purchase max tow and load packages and off road package. Trailer is about 8k lbs loaded. thanks all.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It all depends on how much, ambient heat, elevation really. Tow a bunch up the mountain and it could definitely be all issue. Have to learn how shift to avoid long bursts of turbo ie gear down and bring RPMs up. That definitely helps high heat and elevation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
^^^^^ mj^^^^ defiantly get hd or max tow

·
Registered
187 Posts
Go with the payload package if you can find it. My 18 tows my 32’ 8,000lb dry tt just fine up a 6% grade in 113 degree heat. The 10 speed seemed excessive until I put some weight on the truck. Never hunts never screams to provide power. It might downshift once and pull like a freight train...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Go with the payload package if you can find it. My 18 tows my 32’ 8,000lb dry tt just fine up a 6% grade in 113 degree heat. The 10 speed seemed excessive until I put some weight on the truck. Never hunts never screams to provide power. It might downshift once and pull like a freight train...

10 speed is great to find that perfect rpm zone. My 3.15 does pretty dang good, no complaints in the power. The truck is light so getting the wdh perfect takes some trial and error.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Upgraded last fall from 2011 f150 4x4 screw 5.0 to 2018 f150 4x4 screw 3.5. Same gears 3.55 ELS. Biggest difference is the 10 speed transmission really shines pulling my 7k + trailer. The eco never seems to want for more power or another gear. I really loved my old truck but the power of the ecoboost really stands out. Fuel mileage is significantly better as well. Pulling the trailer at speeds around 65+ I see between 10-11 in the eco. The 5.0 was closer 8-9 mpg. Not pulling and running highway speeds up to 70 I frequently see 21-22 mpg.
short answer- no issues in 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve been reading a ton of posts about towing and heat. Something that always comes up is to downshift and keep the RPMs up to stay out of boost.

I’m a noob to the turbo world. Can someone explain this idea to me? I thought more RPM would mean more boost? I don’t think I get how the turbos work in this scenario.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Turbos react to engine load. In a higher gear, there is more load on the engine and you'll produce more boost. Downshifting will use a mechanical advantage to make it "easier" for the engine. Reducing load and reducing the boost needed to complete the task.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
31 Posts
Turbos react to engine load. In a higher gear, there is more load on the engine and you'll produce more boost. Downshifting will use a mechanical advantage to make it "easier" for the engine. Reducing load and reducing the boost needed to complete the task.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts