F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant get over the price of close to or over $1000 for a aftermarket intercooler for these trucks. Has anyone ventured into making new cold side pipes and use a general intercooler from lets say Treadstone? For $500 and some fab time i think it be possible to get it upgraded for around $600. Iv made a handful of turbo kits myself but im more curious of how tight the space is or even what the pipes look like in general. Anybody have pics of the cold side off the truck by chance?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I cant get over the price of close to or over $1000 for a aftermarket intercooler for these trucks. Has anyone ventured into making new cold side pipes and use a general intercooler from lets say Treadstone? For $500 and some fab time i think it be possible to get it upgraded for around $600. Iv made a handful of turbo kits myself but im more curious of how tight the space is or even what the pipes look like in general. Anybody have pics of the cold side off the truck by chance?
I have an ATP intercooler installed...it's worth the extra bins to know you have an exact fit.
There's some tight quarters between the radiator and motor, and the cold side pipe was pretty tightly packed in there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tight? You've got to be kidding... there is room to sit in this thing compared to what I'm used to. My last system I built for my focus was with a gt35 with tubular 4-1 manifold 3 1/2" downpipe, 3" turbo to intercooler, 3 1/2" ic to tb and 4" turbo to air filter. 560whp 25psi. The kit should have been good for 750-800 with a bigger turbo. The guy I sold the turbo to did 650whp but that was with the 2.3l focus.

Miss the car... I parted it out it was getting too expensive.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I priced this out.. Custom intercooler was 399.99 end tanks were 100.00 bucks getting someone to weld the end tanks 200.00 custom intercooler pipes were another 200.00 clamps couplers were another 60.00..so saving a few bucks or
In the end paying 1000.00 for a Full race and it fitting like you need to already is well worth 1000.00 bucks.
now if you can weld your own aluimums bend and make your own pipes then yeah you could save some $

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Tight? You've got to be kidding... there is room to sit in this thing compared to what I'm used to. My last system I built for my focus was with a gt35 with tubular 4-1 manifold 3 1/2" downpipe, 3" turbo to intercooler, 3 1/2" ic to tb and 4" turbo to air filter. 560whp 25psi. The kit should have been good for 750-800 with a bigger turbo. The guy I sold the turbo to did 650whp but that was with the 2.3l focus.

Miss the car... I parted it out it was getting too expensive.[/QUOO
off topic but i have to ask!.... How did you keep halfshafts and transmissions in that car?? Obviously not still sporting the mtx75....???...

·
Registered
216 Posts
off topic but i have to ask!.... How did you keep halfshafts and transmissions in that car?? Obviously not still sporting the mtx75....???...
Stock axles and tranny. The reason I parted it out was my clutch and pressure plate exploded. I had about 15000 miles on the clutch and about 30 1/4 mile passes. I didn't want to drop the money on a twindisc and new trans. I thought I had sheared off the input shaft leading to the clutch failure but it was all intact, aside from the hole in the bellhousing. The mtx75 is very beefy compaired to honda offerings. As long as you can tame the wheel hop beast you will have no problems with the trans other than eating syncros.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump, anyone else venture into this?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm working on a set of upgraded stock pipes due to the turbos coming out. Just need to test fit them. :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Let me know I'd like to be on the list for the first set.
My fabricator and I are supposed to meet up in the next week or two for text fit of the first pipes. Looking forward to getting these done, SEMA a surgery and holidays delayed this more months than I wanted to for sure!

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I posted this in another thread and haven't heard any replies, so at the risk of sounding stupid twice....

Ok maybe this is a stupid question but...:confused:....since the CAC on the EB cools by air flow across the core, why do you never see a thin 12 volt electric "puller" fan mounted to the engine side of the CAC similar to a transmission cooler on a dragster?

I'm sure I'm overlooking something and I realize that size and pressure drop are the major factors, but wouldn't this help to cool the air charge some in cases where the airflow across the core is restricted and/or the ambient temp is high?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I posted this in another thread and haven't heard any replies, so at the risk of sounding stupid twice....

Ok maybe this is a stupid question but...:confused:....since the CAC on the EB cools by air flow across the core, why do you never see a thin 12 volt electric "puller" fan mounted to the engine side of the CAC similar to a transmission cooler on a dragster?

I'm sure I'm overlooking something and I realize that size and pressure drop are the major factors, but wouldn't this help to cool the air charge some in cases where the airflow across the core is restricted and/or the ambient temp is high?
You're likely not making much boost (which means less heat) sitting in stop and go traffic, so once you speed up, the core cools down..rather quickly too on the aftermarket cores. If you were doing something that required a high boost and low speeds (heavy towing in heavy traffic) then an auxiliary fan could be helpful.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Makes sense Scap, thanks. FYI....don't think I'm trying to copycat ya when you see my build thread....but my truck is the same color as yours and I'm working hard to un-chrome it as I type!
Hell I think mine looks bad ass without the chrome, so I don't blame you and won't think you're being a copycat. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts