F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I’ve been having tuner problems ever since I had the PCM updated for the XMSN downshifting. Got new tunes from 5* and had tuner updated (X4). When I installed a tune it was a totally different experience with traction control and hill descent warning coming on during the install. Also when it would tell you to turn the ignition off or on it would automatically go to the next step before I could do anything to the ignition switch. Any way I finally got the truck back to stock tune and same strategy code from after the PCM update. This week I finally had time to deal with this with SCT. I spent over 4 hours on the phone this week with SCT and 3 hours uploading and downloading updates to and from SCT. We finally got the factory tune put back in with no problems during install. Great told them that I would get back with them in two weeks after taking TT out for a week so we could try to install tunes again. During all this the strategy code had stayed the same. Then today I backed up the truck to give it a bath then afterward it would not start “CRAP” Did a hard battery reset and it started. I checked for codes and had a general failure code. Checked to see if it was still unmarried still unmarried. Then checked the strategy code and it had changed!!!!! It’s one that I’ve never had. Has anybody have their strategy code change after tuner problem? Could the new update from dealership be the problem? Thinking about going to dealership and ask them if they had any problems with new update (they know I’m tuned) was back to stock before update. Or I just might have them put update back on and just might have to pay for it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
264 Posts
When I took my truck in for the transmission leqd frame recall update they changed my strategy code and I had to have tunes redone for the new strategy code.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I took my truck in for the transmission leqd frame recall update they changed my strategy code and I had to have tunes redone for the new strategy code.
I got new tunes after new strategy code but have had problems since. I also had tuner updated before installing tunes. Still can't understand how it could change to one that I've never had.

·
Administrator
10,244 Posts
I've had tunes themselves CHANGE the strategy WHILE loaded (MPT tunes this way). But this is very peculiar!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had tunes themselves CHANGE the strategy WHILE loaded (MPT tunes this way). But this is very peculiar!
thanks! at least I know it can change. thing is that after the download to stock (without no faults during install) that took a few days we (SCT and I) checked the strategy code and was ok then all of a sudden it wouldn't start and now I have a new code without me doing anything and X4 device disconnected. Emailed SCT for weekend support to see what they have to say

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did SCT reflash your tuner?

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did SCT reflash your tuner?
yes with all 3900 + updates and almost 2 hours later after they down loaded the device info to them (SCT) and went over it with the engineering team.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: After talking (email) back and forth with the SCT weekend people they said they don't know why the code changed with no input from the device. He said to call first thing Monday am and the engineering team will look at it and try to figure out why it happened. I'm really thinking about having dealership reflash the PCM. and start over with a clean slate. Hopping to leave Monday afternoon with RV and boat (only 45 min. away)

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updating the update: called first thing this morning and they reset the device again so I could install stock tune. It gave the same failures again but said that's ok and will delete the faults codes when it clears the pcm faults. He said that their having problems with software ring now b/c they had to delete some functions for EPA requirements so we can't make some changes at user level.:(:( So far ok, towed ok I guess (short trip, 30 miles) had a lot of hills and still working on setup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I have been having SCT/Tune issues as well after the PCM recall. I took my 13 in for it, Dealer flashed new PCM code KGCV5K5. I got new custom tunes based on the NEW strategy. 5 Star and Unleashed.

My SCT device was updated and unmarried. Truck was returned to stock before going to dealer. I tried to load a 5 Star tune. Got an error 110b8 failed to write return to stock. Tried to return to stock but that option was not there. Called SCT.

SCT remote accessed my X4. It was fine, uploaded a "TEST" tune to my device. Went out to the truck with them on the line. "Test" tune loaded no problems. loaded my 5 star tune next. Loaded with no issues. SCT told me sometimes the need to load a tune to "unlock" new PCM to take a tune. Ok fine it works.

Until....I went to go load a revision. Failed again some error. tried to return to stock, also failed to write. Tried to upload an unleashed tune. Also failed to write, same error 110b8. Figured great I screwed up the truck trying all this.....truck started and runs, feels like the 5 star tune that originally flashed is still in there. No error codes or anything. Took it for drive, seems to run fine...fingers crossed.

So I emailed SCT to see what they recommend. Waiting to hear back.

Seems like SCT may have some issues with the recall strategy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So I have been having SCT/Tune issues as well after the PCM recall. I took my 13 in for it, Dealer flashed new PCM code KGCV5K5. I got new custom tunes based on the NEW strategy. 5 Star and Unleashed.

My SCT device was updated and unmarried. Truck was returned to stock before going to dealer. I tried to load a 5 Star tune. Got an error 110b8 failed to write return to stock. Tried to return to stock but that option was not there. Called SCT.

SCT remote accessed my X4. It was fine, uploaded a "TEST" tune to my device. Went out to the truck with them on the line. "Test" tune loaded no problems. loaded my 5 star tune next. Loaded with no issues. SCT told me sometimes the need to load a tune to "unlock" new PCM to take a tune. Ok fine it works.

Until....I went to go load a revision. Failed again some error. tried to return to stock, also failed to write. Tried to upload an unleashed tune. Also failed to write, same error 110b8. Figured great I screwed up the truck trying all this.....truck started and runs, feels like the 5 star tune that originally flashed is still in there. No error codes or anything. Took it for drive, seems to run fine...fingers crossed.

I’ve had the same issues for a while. Definitely something to be happening with certain KGC strategies that sct has trouble with.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve had the same issues for a while. Definitely something to be happening with certain KGC strategies that sct has trouble with.
Thanks. Did they resolve the problem? Or is it a wait and see?

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

We're you having trac and hill descent issues while installing tune?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks. Did they resolve the problem? Or is it a wait and see?
They did not fix the issues lol. It seems to be a bug in the firmware. Because once that error pops up, if you head to the vehicle info and try to read your strategy. Nothing shows up. Seems like the x4 has trouble reading the truck.

A temporary fix I found is once you receive that error... unplug the device, turn the key off and have it off for atleast 15-20 secs (you’ll see the cluster go fully dark) Once that’s done plug in the device, turn the key on and then try to load the tune.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We're you having trac and hill descent issues while installing tune?

What do you mean by this ?
As in dash idiot /fault lights for these turning on and going on the center gauge screen?

If yes that always happened to me.

I do not know if they work AFTER trying to tune as I have not had the need to use them.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They did not fix the issues lol. It seems to be a bug in the firmware. Because once that error pops up, if you head to the vehicle info and try to read your strategy. Nothing shows up. Seems like the x4 has trouble reading the truck.

A temporary fix I found is once you receive that error... unplug the device, turn the key off and have it off for atleast 15-20 secs (you’ll see the cluster go fully dark) Once that’s done plug in the device, turn the key on and then try to load the tune.
What ive done is unplug battery and short out +- for at least 2 1/2 minuets (not less) then everything comes back. It's scary when your mileage says ----.- at times after you start engine:(

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do you mean by this ?
As in dash idiot /fault lights for these turning on and going on the center gauge screen?

If yes that always happened to me.

I do not know if they work AFTER trying to tune as I have not had the need to use them.
That makes me feel a little better. It never did that before, only after the update from dealership for xmsn downshifting.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another update: updated device and installed tunes today and got same results with trac control and hill decent failures after tune install before device (SCT X4) cleared all codes. Drove it and got 19.45 boost out of it, god I miss not having a tune🤬 then later when moving truck around property the wipers stoped working, just what happened before the engine shut down before (twice). Been in contact with Jason at stage3motorsports about seeing what they can get me a deal on a new device (thinking livewire TS+) and what 5* can due to help. Fine group of folks👍

1 - 20 of 48 Posts