F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Eco with 26,500 on it. I have noticed excessive exhaust for a newer vehicle on a cold startup for a while. A week ago a friend was following me and said he saw a cloud of black exhaust twice. I took it in today and Ford says it's common for direct injection engines to build up carbon. They are going to add a cleaner to the oil. Warm up the engine and then drain followed by an oil change. They have a technical term for the treatment. I guess this is supposed to clean some of that out. They say it's needed every 20-25k miles on these vehicles. Anyone else have any issues with this or anything they have done? I'm worried this is going to cause issues in the long run. Also, I didn't know I had to drop an extra $100 every 20k on this vehicle. If direct injection does this then why make it?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a 13 that just hit 32k. It always "smokes" at start up, it's whit and just for but doesn't matter if it's -30 or 100 out, I'm pretty sure that's just condensation. Besides that I noticed a couple weeks ago while changing lanes I was looking in the mirror and had to get on it pretty good and I saw a nice puff of black smoke, I drive pretty easy for the most part so I just figured it was burning some carbon. I don't think it does that daily though.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mine smokes on start up every morning for about 10 seconds. If I don't let it warm up much I get some black smoke the first mile or so. Only other time I see black smoke is when I have babied it for a week or two, then when I get on the go pedal it'll do a small puff. It's done it since new and at 61k miles no problems at all. Runs strong!

Reactions: Elmore328

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Normal.

That crap they are saying you need every 20k miles is just that, a bunch of crap

Reactions: bk117wrench

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2013 Eco with 26,500 on it. I have noticed excessive exhaust for a newer vehicle on a cold startup for a while. A week ago a friend was following me and said he saw a cloud of black exhaust twice. I took it in today and Ford says it's common for direct injection engines to build up carbon. They are going to add a cleaner to the oil. Warm up the engine and then drain followed by an oil change. They have a technical term for the treatment. I guess this is supposed to clean some of that out. They say it's needed every 20-25k miles on these vehicles. Anyone else have any issues with this or anything they have done? I'm worried this is going to cause issues in the long run. Also, I didn't know I had to drop an extra $100 every 20k on this vehicle. If direct injection does this then why make it?
Same thing happens with my 2.7. Ford tech said black smoke on first start up is perfectly normal for an ecoboost. That these TT engines run very fuel rich on start up, and that is what causes the black smoke.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
OP, don't let them put any "cleaner" in your oil.

Reactions: bk117wrench

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Diesel engines produce soot as a by product, that is the black stuff your buddy is seeing come out of your exhaust. Go WOT every once in a while when the engine is at full operating temp to help it not build up.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
FYI, on a STOCK untuned engine, I have seen my AF Ratio in the LOW 10's in WOT. That is how rich the stock tuning is (as a prevention for warranty claims).

Tuned engines usually lean this to 11-11.5:1 (still a little rich, but a safety precaution by most tuners). This is why even a performance tune usually gives better fuel economy than the stock tune.

As a reference, most Naturally Aspirated engines usually obtain max power around 12.4-12.6:1.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just like the song says..... "Get down on it!" Lay into it from time to time and it will clean itself out. I think people baby the Eco's too much, including myself when I first got it. At times now, I flat out have fun with it and it drives better than ever. Never had an issue with condensation stumbbles since I lay into it from time to time....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always figured it was the PCM overcompensating for a sharp rise in boost, dumping too much fuel in only to trim it back shortly after. Carbon build up doesn't jive with it happening nearly every time a turbocharged DI engine is stomped on.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Reactions: Mr B and milesej05
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.