F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2013 Eco with 26,500 on it. I have noticed excessive exhaust for a newer vehicle on a cold startup for a while. A week ago a friend was following me and said he saw a cloud of black exhaust twice. I took it in today and Ford says it's common for direct injection engines to build up carbon. They are going to add a cleaner to the oil. Warm up the engine and then drain followed by an oil change. They have a technical term for the treatment. I guess this is supposed to clean some of that out. They say it's needed every 20-25k miles on these vehicles. Anyone else have any issues with this or anything they have done? I'm worried this is going to cause issues in the long run. Also, I didn't know I had to drop an extra $100 every 20k on this vehicle. If direct injection does this then why make it?
Same thing happens with my 2.7. Ford tech said black smoke on first start up is perfectly normal for an ecoboost. That these TT engines run very fuel rich on start up, and that is what causes the black smoke.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts