1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 4X4
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link to the page here --> https://www.morepowertuning.com/2017...e-descriptions
Link to the page here —> EcoBoost Tuner & Support Pack

The MPT tune can run 91 premium up to E30 (according to FB post up to E50) & anywhere in-between. Reminds me of my other post I made back in the summer about Livernois tune that allowed up to E85 with supporting mods. Though the Livernois tune only produced 454 WHP on full E85. I think I inquired with BCB (might have been 5*), if they had any tunes that did similar (didn't mention Livernois) the answer I got was no, not possible. I'm sure the MPT E50 mix tune isn't as powerful as a straight E50 tune, but sounds enticing & not as much work to keep an accurate mix under E50.

I've done quite a bit of searching and haven't come up with anyone using it. I'm a bit intrigued by it. Wonder if they richen up the overall target mixture to account for the extra 35% ethanol (based on our trucks stock being 15% ethanol safe)? I have 5 Star tunes ATM, but thought of driving somewhere this fall/winter for some 91 octane dyno tuning, but might do some Ethanol dyno tuning instead or as well. I did hear back from 5 Star about an hour ago, they don’t offer anything but ethanol specific percentage tunes.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
I might be misunderstanding the point, but I wouldn't expect ANY tune on this platform to be capable of taking full advantage of such a huge disparity of fuel recipes.

I DO believe that the tuners have successfully harnessed the technology that Ford has provided, in respect to leveraging the variable potential between 87 & 93 octane. But that's a far cry from the variance of potential between 93 & E30.

That's just a crazy expectation. The software/hardware isn't capable of auto-adjusting that much.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 4X4
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far Livernois, CRP, and MPT seem to be advertising some variation of it Though.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
I'm not saying that a tuner can't make a legitimate claim that their tune is "compatible" with running any fuel products within that wide disparity. That is entirely possible, and is a direct tribute to how phenomenal the technology Ford has engineered into our trucks.

But that's not the same thing as expecting that same exact tune to be able to provide the same power output as a tune that is dedicated to a narrower range of octane.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 4X4
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That’s almost a given it won’t have the same power level. How much power will it have is interesting Though. I’ve only come across 1 person so far that had the MPT version. He liked it but didn’t say much else.

·
Registered
2018 f150 3.5 eco 4x4 MPT E30 tune, AMS pipes, AMS downpipes, Rush exhaust, AFE CAI
17 Posts
I am running a PRX E30 tune from MPT. Been using for about 6 months now. Prior to this I was running a PRX 93. I have always mixed 93 with E85. I use E37-E40 as my target mixture. Truck feels good. Working on my 8th version of the tune now. Happy to help.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Link to the page here --> https://www.morepowertuning.com/2017...e-descriptions
Link to the page here —> EcoBoost Tuner & Support Pack

The MPT tune can run 91 premium up to E30 (according to FB post up to E50) & anywhere in-between. Reminds me of my other post I made back in the summer about Livernois tune that allowed up to E85 with supporting mods. Though the Livernois tune only produced 454 WHP on full E85. I think I inquired with BCB (might have been 5*), if they had any tunes that did similar (didn't mention Livernois) the answer I got was no, not possible. I'm sure the MPT E50 mix tune isn't as powerful as a straight E50 tune, but sounds enticing & not as much work to keep an accurate mix under E50.

I've done quite a bit of searching and haven't come up with anyone using it. I'm a bit intrigued by it. Wonder if they richen up the overall target mixture to account for the extra 35% ethanol (based on our trucks stock being 15% ethanol safe)? I have 5 Star tunes ATM, but thought of driving somewhere this fall/winter for some 91 octane dyno tuning, but might do some Ethanol dyno tuning instead or as well. I did hear back from 5 Star about an hour ago, they don’t offer anything but ethanol specific percentage tunes.

Any thoughts?
I have researched those and the PPEI version of the tunes ability to have one auto octane tune that can do it all, up until you need a in the tank pump upgrade. The manual for ford says it can run E15 safely. With that said, most tuners will tell you that you need a dedicated tune for the octane you want or a auto octane tune for all the octane based tunes with standard ethanol content.. I have had some very interesting conversations with the tuners that will divulge some information. I was going to try calibrated tuning, as I ran their diesel tunes for years, making big big power, but still too early for me to tell. I want to see real feed back from the guys that are running the tune daily over time, Their dyno numbers seem relatively the same as a lot of the dedicated tuners for 93 octane and down.

As for the interesting conversation with a well known tuner, might even be my tuner, the claim or shall I say comment to me was, the auto octane tune can make adjustments up to 94 octane. Theoretically, maybe the auto octane can adjust for E30. All of the tuners say the fuel pump that is stock in the new trucks can handle E30 flow with no issue. So take that for what its worth. Now, with the ford manual saying E15 is safe, I mix my 91 octane with a few gallons of E85 to stay at the E15-E17 mark, or 92ish octane I can say, when I am mixed with that E15-17 mix, the truck is stronger, no doubt, compared to straight 91 octane.

I will be getting a E30 dedicated tune for the summer, maybe. I say maybe, because my revised GH Auto Octane tune for the IC and AMS Pipes, is a great tune, giving everything I want right now and I know it is safe as Matt is a genius and tunes with safety in mind and proven to produce the end result of power equal to many tuners dedicated octane tunes, not to mention, his trans strategy, Mmmmmm so perfecto!!!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Well, I did pull the trigger on the calibrated power tunes with EZ Lynk. I will be dong a big review after I get some seat time for all the tunes offered, up to E-30 or 40. Spoke to them extensively and spoke to MPT about their adaptive any octane tune that adjust for the E30 blends or more with supporting fuel mods. I went with calibrating power, aka duramaxtuner only because I have extensive knowledge and experience with their tunes on my duramax trucks, to include my truck I ran in the NHRDA ..... They are one of the best diesel tuners and I trust Nick because of my 10 plus years tuning and data logging with them....

More to come

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Well, I did pull the trigger on the calibrated power tunes with EZ Lynk. I will be dong a big review after I get some seat time for all the tunes offered, up to E-30 or 40. Spoke to them extensively and spoke to MPT about their adaptive any octane tune that adjust for the E30 blends or more with supporting fuel mods. I went with calibrating power, aka duramaxtuner only because I have extensive knowledge and experience with their tunes on my duramax trucks, to include my truck I ran in the NHRDA ..... They are one of the best diesel tuners and I trust Nick because of my 10 plus years tuning and data logging with them....

More to come
Yeah makes me feel good for jumping to MPT THEY ARE SOME REALLY NICE PPL and I will take customer service any day over a little less skill every time because first class customer service means a shop will always try to do their best and if they can’t figure it out they will get someone who can..
JUST WISH THEY WERE IN TEXAS at least ...head games being 10 mins from my place doesn’t have a true shop, just a dyno for testing and tuning..although they said they are going to make the move at some point..the one guy I spoke to seemed really fair ,and willing to go above ,but I never got the Complete quote emailed to me so I never moved forward with them....

as far as adaptive octane tunes any tune is basically set up that way, as you can always run higher octane fuel, you just can’t go the other way with it..any tune that set up to be able to run backwards to 89 is basically doing the same thing as a 93 tune that can run e-30 as it can still go back wards to 93 ,afterwards ,but none of these tunes are going to make the same power as a straight locked e-30 tune...as that 89 adaptive tune can run or if you want to refer to it as a locked 89 tune can still run e-30 and it will run better and make more power never having to retard timing...that’s how I see things ,when I spoke with MPT last week about my lost tunes , I asked them about this and I was told basically the same thing as head games was using the whole adaptive tuning as a selling point, which is fine “ but Since I’ve always used a 93 and up locked tune on everything I’m good ,plus now I know it will handle E-15“ bump me up a couple extra degrees of timing will ya, “” lol..speaking of power the gen1 really need to get rid of that bottle neck on the turbo inlets ....thats got to hurt ..

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Yeah makes me feel good for jumping to MPT THEY ARE SOME REALLY NICE PPL and I will take customer service any day over a little less skill every time because first class customer service means a shop will always try to do their best and if they can’t figure it out they will get someone who can..
JUST WISH THEY WERE IN TEXAS at least ...head games being 10 mins from my place doesn’t have a true shop, just a dyno for testing and tuning..although they said they are going to make the move at some point..the one guy I spoke to seemed really fair ,and willing to go above ,but I never got the Complete quote emailed to me so I never moved forward with them....

as far as adaptive octane tunes any tune is basically set up that way, as you can always run higher octane fuel, you just can’t go the other way with it..any tune that set up to be able to run backwards to 89 is basically doing the same thing as a 93 tune that can run e-30 as it can still go back wards to 93 ,afterwards ,but none of these tunes are going to make the same power as a straight locked e-30 tune...as that 89 adaptive tune can run or if you want to refer to it as a locked 89 tune can still run e-30 and it will run better and make more power never having to retard timing...that’s how I see things ,when I spoke with MPT last week about my lost tunes , I asked them about this and I was told basically the same thing as head games was using the whole adaptive tuning as a selling point, which is fine “ but Since I’ve always used a 93 and up locked tune on everything I’m good ,plus now I know it will handle E-15“ bump me up a couple extra degrees of timing will ya, “” lol..speaking of power the gen1 really need to get rid of that bottle neck on the turbo inlets ....thats got to hurt ..
Agreed. G H has A+ Customer service and a great product. His trans tunes are the best IMO and the end game at WOT, the tune delivers. Not sure why some tuners don't advertise strategies for adaptive tuning focused on the higher E blends for the newer trucks within the stock pumps capability and for fuel upgrades. I will always have the G H tune and it is by far my favorite and honestly tis tune is loving the E20 blend. There is a huge difference in noticeable performance over the straight 91 octane available to me.

The change to try calibrated performance, I have extensive experience with duramaxtuner and his customer service is A+ as well and is one of the best diesel platform tuners in the business. So I do feel really comfortable with them and like the idea of the EZ Lynk and the cloud with all their tunes avail in fast real time.

Very interesting to see the difference as a settles on the G H adaptive tune as my 100%. If this won't pan out like I want it, I will reach out to 5 * for a dedicated E30 tune but I just want the ability to be on the road and not worry about staying at E30 while on the dedicated tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts