F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Screw
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My name is Matt and I just joined the forum. I have been looking around at getting a tow rig and was wondering if anyone tows a Jeep Wrangler 4 door (JKU) with a F150 S/crew 2.7/A10/3.55 gears? If so, how does it tow? Any issues or advice using this particular setup?

Curb weight for the JKU is roughly 4300 lbs. I believe most trailers are going to be in the 2-2500 lbs range, so that is 6800 lbs without anything in the jeep. Reason I ask is that I live in the Las Vegas area and when leaving, you're going up no matter which direction you choose.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
There was a guy around here that was towing one in Denver I believe. He didn't seem to have issue with stability but I think he was having overheating issue, mainly because of his altitude. I have the same issue with my travel trailer here in Utah. Once it gets >85F outside I start having coolant temp issues.

On paper the 2.7 has the power to do it, but you are really gunna have to watch your temperatures, especially in Vegas. Intake temperatures and coolant temps may get hot which will cause power loss.

·
Premium Member
6,276 Posts
Thanks for the info. Does the 3.5 have the same issue?
In my opinion yes. The exact Temps and parameters aren't identical, and obviously the 3.5 can muster more towing torque and power for the same load, but what the two motors have in common is they introduce a lot of heat to the coolant when the boost levels are sustained for a stretch.

Many around here learn to manage the coolant Temps by reducing boost strategically. Either by getting out of the throttle, or using a lower gear which substitutes rpms for boost.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Thanks for the info. Does the 3.5 have the same issue?
Sorry, mine is a 3.5.

Yes the 3.5 have temp issues, especially when you combine elevation and hot ambient temps.

I have a buddy here who used to have a 2016 2.7 and towed a 7000 lb. camper with it. He said his would run out of steam climbing some of the big grades around here. I suspect he was either seeing high intake or coolant temps which was cutting power.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Like mentioned, some manage it with throttle and gears.... others have no issues.... Its a mighty Lil machine and there are ways to control it with aftermarket trans cooler, radiators ect.....

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
I tow a 6.5 to 7k lb camper (depending on time of year and how we pack), and have towed 7500 lbs worth of truck and trailer from Ohio to SC, so across the mountains of NC. It has great power to tow that load, and just purely being in the mountains and pulling big hills doesn't phase it.

But where I live the mountains are small and the elevation isn't so high. The higher elevation and a hotter climate may make that a completely different experience. I also have a Wagner intercooler. But, I am a bit disadvantaged too with less torque and a 6 speed tranny. I like to keep mine at 3k rpms and let it sing a little when it's under a load. The whole truck seems very happy there, which makes sense with my peak torque being at 3,000.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts