F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchasing a 2019 Lariat, 4 x 4, 3.5 Ecoboost, off road pkg, with Max Tow that supposedly can tow over 11,000 pounds. Is anyone towing heavy? Can the Ecoboost comfortable handle 9000 pounds in the Sierra? thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Did someone say....lol
I tow a 2018 Keystone Outback 38' 9k dry bumper pull. My 2014 pulls it beautifully. Yes the truck gets hot from time to time on long 6-7% grade pulls in 108°++°Arizona heat traveling up in altitude.
Every truck handles different and we all have a plethora of performance upgrades we believe will help while towing.
Bottom line is it is great all around-even stock.... towing performance truck!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Purchasing a 2019 Lariat, 4 x 4, 3.5 Ecoboost, off road pkg, with Mac Tow that supposedly can tow over 11,000 pounds. Is anyone towing heavy? Can the Ecoboost comfortable handle 9000 pounds in the Sierra? thanks
Need more numbers/information than this. Payload, curb weight, GVWR, GCVWR, GVWR of the trailer (or actual scaled weight), tongue weight, cargo, all of these are considerations.

I would bet my 2.7 could handle 9000 lbs in the sierra. Could I do it safely and within the limits, not a chance. Doesn't mean it couldn't comfortably handle it though.

If you don't have whatever you plan on towing yet, I would seriously look into these weight considerations first before you buy the truck. You may find after buying the truck that your trailer/5th wheel/whatever is too big to be safely towed despite being under this "over 11000 pounds" capacity.

Just my .02 cents though. The truck you are buying may be well within the limits and be totally fine, just depends on the numbers thats all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Purchasing a 2019 Lariat, 4 x 4, 3.5 Ecoboost, off road pkg, with Mac Tow that supposedly can tow over 11,000 pounds. Is anyone towing heavy? Can the Ecoboost comfortable handle 9000 pounds in the Sierra? thanks
lariat+fx4= no payload. You will very likely be over payload of the truck, you are looking at 850-1100lb of tongue weight before people and other stuff, what's the yellow sticker on the drivers side door frame say?

What is 8500lb? is that the dry weight of the camper or the gross?

My camper is 8-9k loaded, its big and you definitely know its there. If you intend to pull at 80 mph+ like some people insist on I would consider a bigger truck.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you have modifications you should list them in your sig. Especially for the noobs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
All day long. My trailer is about 8500lbs I have the same truck from 2017. I've already towed about 10,000 miles. It's great. I love in Fresno and go all over the mountains and it to the coast. Had it on a 2 week trip to Yellowstone and back. Tows great. I agree with Duck 9191 my fX4 Lariat has a cargo cap of like 1600lbs. Be careful with the weight and keep your speed right.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The TT is 65oo lbs dry, 7300 lbs with water and propane, I figure another 800 to 1000 pounds of miscellaneous. so around 8500 pounds total. the tongue weight is about 850 lbs. 300 lbs passengers and 400 pounds of misc stuff in the bed so 1550 lbs of stuff in the truck plus several hundred pounds of factory add ons, maybe 1700 to 1800 pounds . The truck is brochure rated at 2150 pounds. Since I haven't received it yet actuals are unknown.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The TT is 65oo lbs dry, 7300 lbs with water and propane, I figure another 800 to 1000 pounds of miscellaneous. so around 8500 pounds total. the tongue weight is about 850 lbs. 300 lbs passengers and 400 pounds of misc stuff in the bed so 1550 lbs of stuff in the truck plus several hundred pounds of factory add ons, maybe 1700 to 1800 pounds . The truck is brochure rated at 2150 pounds. Since I haven't received it yet actuals are unknown.
My camper is 6900 dry 9600 gross with a dry tw of 950 and 34' over all. My xlt 302a has 1850-1900lb of payload, Lariat and fx4 will probably be around 1600ish. The '19 do seem to have a bit more payload but not a ton. The 2150 is the chassis configurations max payload before options and trim packages.

It's should tow fine, you maybe over payload though. It will have plenty of power butit will run warm but it shouldn't be an issue unless you try to fly up grades.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What part of the Sierras?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, I'm specifically concerned with towing East out of Georgetown (steep and windy, 35 -40 mph) and the slower non highway paved roads. Going up I 80 over Donner pass probably won't be as challenging for the tow. thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
To answer your question ...yes we tow a 5er over 8500#'s. BUT!...we're towing with an HD Ecoboost with a payload capacity of 2172#.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tranny hot or engine? So consider aftermarket cooling assist?
You shouldn't need it. I don't anyway. The only time I had any issue was coming in the back side of Yosemite on 120 from Lee Vining. I told my service writer about it when I was in for service and I ended up with a new radiator. They found it was partially clogged. Biggest concern I have is it being so light and carrying so much. That said mine tows great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 XLT 302A pkg 4x4 Max Tow 3.5L Supercab. It is supposed to be rated to tow 11,800 lbs. My “yellow” sticker on the door is 1774 lbs. That 1774 is not hard to reach by the time you add tongue weight, passengers, and gear in the bed. You really need to look at a similar truck, get the info off the door sticker, then get trailer info and run the numbers. There are many websites that you can go to and run those numbers. I would do that before buying anything. The only way I could tow 11,800 lbs and stay within my ratings is if I am the only person in the truck with no gear. You will be surprised at how far away from 11,000 you will be after running the numbers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you. The data/specs available are so inconclusive and misleading its hard to know what is real.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The only thing that is "real" is your own towing experience and towing performance expectations and what works for you...

All the numbers are just base line things to consider, NOT absolute figures that will determine if you can or can't tow something..

In the end, what I have figured out after some 40 years of towing stuff is that don't think the "tow rating" of said truck is going to comfortably tow the "dry weight" of said trailer if those two figures are anywhere close to each other... ;)

I've towed overweight even before anyone knew what 'tow ratings' and 'payload' was.. Didn't like it too much.. But, got thru it because.. Well, what else can you do when your boss tells you to take this load here and bring back this load?

Now that I'm older and not depending on towing something for a paycheck, I choose to tow what is comfortable for me and that's in my sig...

Works for me, and I know I can tow more and would do so, but right now, this is what works for me right now.

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 XLT 302A pkg 4x4 Max Tow 3.5L Supercab. It is supposed to be rated to tow 11,800 lbs. My “yellow” sticker on the door is 1774 lbs. That 1774 is not hard to reach by the time you add tongue weight, passengers, and gear in the bed. You really need to look at a similar truck, get the info off the door sticker, then get trailer info and run the numbers. There are many websites that you can go to and run those numbers. I would do that before buying anything. The only way I could tow 11,800 lbs and stay within my ratings is if I am the only person in the truck with no gear. You will be surprised at how far away from 11,000 you will be after running the numbers.
A couple of key numbers I left off. GVWR 7050#. GCWR 17100#

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
SuperDave23
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing