F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the truck but I am getting older and my night vision is getting weaker.
The stock headlights on my truck seem inadequate.
I guess I got used to the HID lights on MY Mustang GT.
Does anyone know of an easy upgrade to the headlights?
Did Ford offer HID lights on the F-150?
I bought mine off the lot, didn't order it, so I don't know.

·
Registered
577 Posts
In 2013 models hids are offered. I bought a set of recon headlights and installed hids into them after i got them. You can always just get hid bulbs and ballasts and do them in the factory housing. But to sharpen the light projectors is the way to go

2012 F150 EcoBoost Lariat

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I found these on the web.
I was thinking about the 4300K 35 watt Kit.
I don't want to blind other drivers.
H13 BI-XENON HI-LO BEAMS: Full HID Conversion Kit For FORD F150 2012: Quality Xenon HID Kits - HID Conversion Kit - FREE Shipping & Best Prices | HidKitXenonLights.com
The K number is only the color. But go with the 35w because i have heard ppl say the 55w will melt your housing.. You can go with different k for a different color output. I run the 8000k and its like blue

2012 F150 EcoBoost Lariat

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
6000k is the brightest without getting blue. Seems to be very popular.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
PIAA makes some very nice bright bulbs as well if you don't want to go with HIDs. They put a very nice white light. They make the factory bulbs look yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have had great luck with DDM tuning, I have converted my last three trucks to HID headlights and fogs, I understand what one of the other posters states about the higher wattage melting housings but one of the properties of HID is that the lumen output does not come at the cost of higher heat,

I have had problems in the past with the higher output incandescent bulbs that you can buy in the auto parts stores and melted the lenses, the housings and the wiring,

I'm using 55w 6000k fogs and headlights, the kits are pretty straightforward plug and play systems, and I've found DDM's customer service to be pretty good as well as personalized, and their prices to be reasonable, shipping on the other hand is not what you're used to so be prepared for a two week period between your order and your product in the mail.

One other thing, these guys also sell replacement HID bulbs at great prices, I replaced both bulbs in my navigator for less than ford wanted for one bulb even after tax and shipping.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anybody find some replacement bulbs that output more light? I've heard some bulbs can provide a lot more light with reduced bulb life. This could be a good way to increase output with minimal expense and work.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
hid-color-temperatures.jpg The only way to do it right is to use a 'Projector' headlight. Whether you have it custom made or go with the Ford OEMs is up to you. Putting HID bulbs of any wattage into a halogen housing causes excessive glare to oncoming traffic and will eventually be addressed by law enforcement.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The biggest problem that I had with the high output aftermarket bulbs was that high output came with high heat, enough heat to affect the housings and the wiring, and Ford will not cover the damage, even if you have a great relationship with your dealer... As to the glare issue from the HID's in incandescent housings, check out the pictures of my truck and you'll get an idea of what is meant by the statement. My headlights are stock ford HID projector housings, that I have replaced the stock 4300k bulbs with 6000k bulbs, the Fogs were incandescent and I replaced them with 6000k HID bulbs

·
Registered
68 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts